Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 25.08.2011, 18:27
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,622
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,890 Times in 10,973 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
May I recommend Terry Pratchett's excellent book "Making Money" for some humorous insights into the gold standard.
Some very good insights; also about deliberately printing sheets of stamps with some errors. & keeping some of the errors for a rainy day.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 25.08.2011, 18:31
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,622
Groaned at 579 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 20,890 Times in 10,973 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate those reasons lead people to conclude that gold is a good short-term investment (as in 1-2year). However, unless capitalism actually collapses and we all decide gold is the new currency it's hard to see how it's a good long term investment.

Ultimately I have to conclude that Gold's currency price is largely due to panic. Everyone has a different outlook on this, but I couldn't bring myself to invest in a market whose fundamental is panic.
So which market would you invest in? People are currently buying shares despite the people who are describing the risk of a double dip recession. This is a market whose fundamental is optimism.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 25.08.2011, 18:34
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
So which market would you invest in? People are currently buying shares despite the people who are describing the risk of a double dip recession. This is a market whose fundamental is optimism.
That's why you shouldn't try to time the market but just invest in clearly undervalued stocks and forget about them for some years.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 27.08.2011, 19:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 2,016
Groaned at 173 Times in 93 Posts
Thanked 1,139 Times in 628 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
The market for renting out land is still better than the market for renting out gold.
In the real world; you will have to maintain land, get rid of squatters and dispose of rubbish dumped on your land by fly-skippers.
The rent you receive will be subject to Income Tax if you make a profit after the above mentioned possible costs.
Then our democratic Western governments that basically squandered the money for the last 15 years need monies to cover their deficits so they will be charging you capital tax on this land in the future without doubt.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 27.08.2011, 19:06
KeinFranzösisch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 2,198
Groaned at 63 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,115 Posts
KeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond reputeKeinFranzösisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
Discuss
What about a golden island?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 27.08.2011, 19:08
economisto
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
In the real world; you will have to maintain land, get rid of squatters and dispose of rubbish dumped on your land by fly-skippers.
The rent you receive will be subject to Income Tax if you make a profit after the above mentioned possible costs.
Then our democratic Western governments that basically squandered the money for the last 15 years need monies to cover their deficits so they will be charging you capital tax on this land in the future without doubt.

Squatters: hire removal men and security guards to evict them when they're half asleep at 3am. Then have a locksmith standing by to change the locks. Pay for all this in cash.

Income tax: Make sure the "costs" are high enough not to generate an actual income.

Land gives you flex that gold doesn't. Also gold is rubbish.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 27.08.2011, 22:52
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,773
Groaned at 245 Times in 194 Posts
Thanked 7,848 Times in 3,459 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
Discuss
Irish Government Bonds, that is what you should have been buying, sorry the tip is a bit late by now, as you should really have been buying them a few months ago

Unfortunately I ignored the advise as well... after all what would my 14 year old son know... enough to buy at 54% and sell next Monday in the mid 70%s

Jim2007
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 28.08.2011, 15:34
desperate's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 270
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 155 Times in 101 Posts
desperate has annoyed a few people around heredesperate has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

If you think gold price or land will go up, you don't necessarily have to invest in gold/land itself.

Why not just buy stocks like Caterpillar, John Deere, etc.

Used for mining, used for agriculture, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 29.08.2011, 16:26
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Corn prices could rise dramatically. I don't invest, in stocks I just don't believe in it on moral grounds. however most of my predictions have been correct, except for gold which my soon told me about, he's pretty good at investments.
Monsanto have produced a crop resistant to worms. Farmers have been planting this crop (corn) 3 years consecutively They were warned not to do this as it could produce resistant super worms which will wreck the crop. So now they are predicting shortages and price hikes. Many farmers are trying to sell land off for Fracking. They can make potentially make a fortune. However Fracking has massive problems it is not a viable energy solution with these problems. When this is realized corn will rise.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 29.08.2011, 16:29
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
Beer from the profit. Organic all the way if possible but evil Monsanto is trying to own all the grain in the world so now we have to fight that too.
there is no gmo malting barley currently in production
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 29.08.2011, 16:31
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
Corn prices could rise dramatically. I don't invest, in stocks I just don't believe in it on moral grounds. however most of my predictions have been correct, except for gold which my soon told me about, he's pretty good at investments.
Monsanto have produced a crop resistant to worms. Farmers have been planting this crop (corn) 3 years consecutively They were warned not to do this as it could produce resistant super worms which will wreck the crop. So now they are predicting shortages and price hikes. Many farmers are trying to sell land off for Fracking. They can make potentially make a fortune. However Fracking has massive problems it is not a viable energy solution with these problems. When this is realized corn will rise.
Current shortages of corn (restricted solely to the US) is due to huge increase in usage for ethanol - as encouraged by US govt policy on tax rebates for the ethanol producer and blenders credits for the distributors.It has been exacerbated by bad weather preventing some planting. It has nothing to do with super worms.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grumpygit for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 29.08.2011, 16:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
Current shortages of corn (restricted solely to the US) is due to huge increase in usage for ethanol - as encouraged by US govt policy on tax rebates for the ethanol producer and blenders credits for the distributors.It has been exacerbated by bad weather preventing some planting. It has nothing to do with super worms.
Not to mention hoarding by the CHinese. They have too much corn now stock-piled. Globally no one else has that much.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 29.08.2011, 16:40
grumpygit's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: geneva
Posts: 1,476
Groaned at 29 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,508 Times in 695 Posts
grumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
that's the same as land then. You can't grow food without land and he who controls the land controls the food.
He who lends the farmer to buy his seed and his fertilizer and his fuel controls the farmer
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 29.08.2011, 16:50
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

I know al thatI live here. The Chinese also have the biggest gold reserves . But google Minnesota G M O crops and you will see that their 5 billion crop is now in danger. It has already started. Unless they find a corn prices could rocket. I suppose ethanol could become too expensive to viable, but even then High fructose corn syrup is a key ingredient in most U S food products. I wish they would stop planting so much corn
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 29.08.2011, 16:57
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 219
Groaned at 29 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 56 Posts
pasty is considered a nuisancepasty is considered a nuisancepasty is considered a nuisance
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
Discuss
Yes, buy Gold.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 29.08.2011, 16:57
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 219
Groaned at 29 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 56 Posts
pasty is considered a nuisancepasty is considered a nuisancepasty is considered a nuisance
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
Discuss
No, buy land
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 29.08.2011, 17:01
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
Yeah we know you got an iPad .
P.S You shouldn't let the battery run so low, its not good for the Lithium-chemistry
Would help if I didn't have to go begging for a charger in this blasted continent of hurricanes!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 29.08.2011, 17:03
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
I know al thatI live here. The Chinese also have the biggest gold reserves . But google Minnesota G M O crops and you will see that their 5 billion crop is now in danger. It has already started. Unless they find a corn prices could rocket. I suppose ethanol could become too expensive to viable, but even then High fructose corn syrup is a key ingredient in most U S food products. I wish they would stop planting so much corn
The recent attempt to terminate both the ethanol subsidies of $.45 a gallon and the $.54-per-gallon import tariff on Brazilian sugar-based ethanol by the Senate failed because it was an amendment attached to a bill that was doomed to failure anyway. Both will cease on December 31 automatically, ending 33 years of subsidizing the ethanol industry; however, food prices are likely to stay high anyway. The main reason is neither the subsidy nor the tariff, but the mandate by the government requiring gasoline refiners to continue to increase their usage of ethanol when blending their gasoline products. Under the 2007 Renewable Fuels Standard, the United States is required to use 12.6 billion gallons of ethanol this year, increasing to 15 billion in 2015, and 36 billion gallons by the year 2022.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #79  
Old 29.08.2011, 17:20
hoppy
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
The recent attempt to terminate both the ethanol subsidies of $.45 a gallon and the $.54-per-gallon import tariff on Brazilian sugar-based ethanol by the Senate failed because it was an amendment attached to a bill that was doomed to failure anyway. Both will cease on December 31 automatically, ending 33 years of subsidizing the ethanol industry; however, food prices are likely to stay high anyway. The main reason is neither the subsidy nor the tariff, but the mandate by the government requiring gasoline refiners to continue to increase their usage of ethanol when blending their gasoline products. Under the 2007 Renewable Fuels Standard, the United States is required to use 12.6 billion gallons of ethanol this year, increasing to 15 billion in 2015, and 36 billion gallons by the year 2022.
So what are the potential pitfalls on investing in corn?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 29.08.2011, 17:21
carver's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: GB-CH moitié-moitié
Posts: 396
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 142 Times in 105 Posts
carver is considered knowledgeablecarver is considered knowledgeablecarver is considered knowledgeable
Re: Should I buy gold or should I buy land?

Quote:
View Post
gold is primarily a vehicle for capital preservation in the face of currency devaluation. any gbp holders who have seen their savings halve vs chf can appreciate this. once the economic outlook stabilses, then people will be happy to move out from gold and back into interest bearing fiat currencies.
The one thing that stops gold bull runs is positive real interest rates. As with a positive economic outlook, positive real returns on paper money seems years away.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank carver for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I keep my US Iphone 4 or should I sell it and buy a Euro iPhone? Andi1 TV/internet/telephone 8 28.06.2010 23:49
Why should I buy a Swiss apartment? mmd457 Housing in general 6 28.06.2010 09:51
Should I bring my PC or buy local? JHG TV/internet/telephone 46 29.12.2009 17:50
Chinese RNB should I buy? markalex Finance/banking/taxation 1 03.10.2009 01:33
Should I buy a swiss car or EU car? Soul Food Transportation/driving 0 04.07.2008 17:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0