Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.01.2012, 03:17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ...
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopularSamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopular
Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Hi Guys,

I was planing on buying a new notebook from Apple store soon and I was wondering is it possible to get Global Blue Tax Refund form in any Apple Store in Switzerland ?

I ask, because I can only use my student discount in Apple Store and not in Media Markt and other retail stores.

Tax Refund is not that much money, but combined with student pricing it's a nice discount that can go towards buying a nice case, backpack or even add some money and get solid state drive.

Thanks for your time

Sam
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.01.2012, 08:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 218 Times in 138 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

where do you live? i guess in CH? if so then you can not claim tax back from CH.

if you buy in DE and live in CH then its a different story.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21.01.2012, 08:26
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

So where exactly are you living Sam?

You will discover that for any sales tax claim you will need documentation, stamped at the shop when you buy the article.

So why not ask at the Apple shop? The agent Global Blue takes about 50% comission from the tax saved, so you might want to think about doing it yourself. Contact the border control for information when you come to Switzerland. We onll pay 8% tax here, but you might have to pay 20% sales tax in your home country.

Can you prove you are studying? Some companies give discount to students.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.01.2012, 10:30
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,443
Groaned at 358 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 12,558 Times in 4,280 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quote:
View Post
Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Hi Guys,

I was planing on buying a new notebook from Apple store soon and I was wondering is it possible to get Global Blue Tax Refund form in any Apple Store in Switzerland ?

I ask, because I can only use my student discount in Apple Store and not in Media Markt and other retail stores.

Tax Refund is not that much money, but combined with student pricing it's a nice discount that can go towards buying a nice case, backpack or even add some money and get solid state drive.

Thanks for your time

Sam
Clearly you are not studying Geograpghy or Mathematics.

For your question to make sense we need to know where you are, where you are resident and why you believe getting 8% back (less commission of VAT agent) and then paying a higher rate of VAT is an advantage...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 21.01.2012, 11:48
happyday's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SZ
Posts: 69
Groaned at 9 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
happyday is considered a nuisancehappyday is considered a nuisancehappyday is considered a nuisance
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quote:
View Post
Clearly you are not studying Geograpghy or Mathematics.

For your question to make sense we need to know where you are, where you are resident and why you believe getting 8% back (less commission of VAT agent) and then paying a higher rate of VAT is an advantage...

AbFab maybe that he doesn't need to pay vat after all.
Certain amount are tax exempted for the goods that bought while you are abroad. So if it is under the limit, he doesn't need to pay CH tax as well as his country of origin. Assume that he is not Swiss and leaving CH.

Last edited by happyday; 21.01.2012 at 12:03. Reason: Spelling error
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.01.2012, 17:43
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ...
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopularSamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopular
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Thank you everyone, very much for your help


Quote:
View Post
So where exactly are you living Sam?

You will discover that for any sales tax claim you will need documentation, stamped at the shop when you buy the article.

So why not ask at the Apple shop? The agent Global Blue takes about 50% comission from the tax saved, so you might want to think about doing it yourself. Contact the border control for information when you come to Switzerland. We onll pay 8% tax here, but you might have to pay 20% sales tax in your home country.

Can you prove you are studying? Some companies give discount to students.
I have ISIC (International Student Identification Card) which they do accept in Apple Stores (at least they did in Germany and Switzerland ). Thank you

I was wondering do they provide Global Blue Check at the Apple Store or not. I know for a fact that they do this it London. I don't live in CH or EU for that matter, so eligibility is not a problem I think (will be visiting soon CH). I tried finding Apple Stores e.mail addresses, but no luck. Maybe best course or action would be to wait until I arrive at the Zurich Airport and ask Global Blue Guys in person, maybe I can get Refund Form (so called Check) from them directly and then just fill it up myself.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21.01.2012, 17:44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ...
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopularSamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopular
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quote:
View Post
Clearly you are not studying Geograpghy or Mathematics.

For your question to make sense we need to know where you are, where you are resident and why you believe getting 8% back (less commission of VAT agent) and then paying a higher rate of VAT is an advantage...

Patsy Darling, you need to chill
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21.01.2012, 17:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ...
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopularSamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopular
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quote:
View Post
AbFab maybe that he doesn't need to pay vat after all.
Certain amount are tax exempted for the goods that bought while you are abroad. So if it is under the limit, he doesn't need to pay CH tax as well as his country of origin. Assume that he is not Swiss and leaving CH.
Exactly, thank you
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21.01.2012, 19:26
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,443
Groaned at 358 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 12,558 Times in 4,280 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quote:
View Post
AbFab maybe that he doesn't need to pay vat after all.
Certain amount are tax exempted for the goods that bought while you are abroad. So if it is under the limit, he doesn't need to pay CH tax as well as his country of origin. Assume that he is not Swiss and leaving CH.
You can't get much from Apple for CHF300...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21.01.2012, 20:14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ...
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopularSamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopular
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quote:
View Post
You can't get much from Apple for CHF300...
Yes, but for 3000 CHF you can I think you get 240 You can buy another SSD for that money and install it via Optibay where your optical drive is (was).. Sorry, sometimes the nerd in me gets a bit over the top

BTW, I LOVE your avatar, I'm a HUGE fan of the show.. I hope you got to see 2 new specials aired for Christmas and New Year
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21.01.2012, 20:29
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 247
Groaned at 6 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 31 Times in 22 Posts
dustyfrog has no particular reputation at present
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Of course, if you do a tax reclaim you would need to pay the tax in your country of residence. Most countries have a higher VAT percentage then Switzerland :+
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.01.2012, 01:15
happyday's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SZ
Posts: 69
Groaned at 9 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
happyday is considered a nuisancehappyday is considered a nuisancehappyday is considered a nuisance
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quote:
View Post
You can't get much from Apple for CHF300...
AbFab, that is tax free limit for CH. not every single country has the same limit for shopping while abroad. Could be $500 or €500 or more or even less.

Quote:
View Post
Of course, if you do a tax reclaim you would need to pay the tax in your country of residence. Most countries have a higher VAT percentage then Switzerland :+
You haven't understood fully. Upto certain amount you are not liable for any tax for the goods you bought outside your country. This is legally allowed. Of course you do need to pay tax if you go over the limit. But upto that point you don't. I don't know which nationality of you or OP or the limit for the OP. But it could be that OP doesn't need to pay by this rule.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.01.2012, 08:53
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,443
Groaned at 358 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 12,558 Times in 4,280 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

We're back to Geography and Mathematics. The way it works is that you pay the VAT (8%) in Switzerland and complete a form from a third party company who handle the reclaim and take a commission (often 25-40%) for doing this.

As you leave the country you get the form stamped on exit by the VAT desk and post the form. You wait 3 months and, if you are lucky, get 75% of the 8% back. I have sometimes actually never received the refund.

When you arrive at your destination (this is the Geography bit) you declare your purchase, obviously assuming that you spent above the limit (and as the OP lives in "..." we have no idea ) you pay the local VAT /Sales tax there. Or risk smuggling your iMac (we also have no idea what the OP wants to buy)...
__________________


************************************
Fed up of smoking? 10 tips to quit in 10 days
Reply With Quote
This user groans at AbFab for this post:
  #14  
Old 22.01.2012, 12:14
happyday's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SZ
Posts: 69
Groaned at 9 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
happyday is considered a nuisancehappyday is considered a nuisancehappyday is considered a nuisance
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quote:
View Post
We're back to Geography and Mathematics. The way it works is that you pay the VAT (8%) in Switzerland and complete a form from a third party company who handle the reclaim and take a commission (often 25-40%) for doing this.

As you leave the country you get the form stamped on exit by the VAT desk and post the form. You wait 3 months and, if you are lucky, get 75% of the 8% back. I have sometimes actually never received the refund.

When you arrive at your destination (this is the Geography bit) you declare your purchase, obviously assuming that you spent above the limit (and as the OP lives in "..." we have no idea ) you pay the local VAT /Sales tax there. Or risk smuggling your iMac (we also have no idea what the OP wants to buy)...

Hi now I feel like I know you well.
Sorry for tailing you here.
You may know better. But you guys are sometimes very tough here.
I think maybe it is better not to say than to say the way like you said. Like geo n math things.

In reality terms you could be right or wrong. But you don't need to pin point where it hurts. Maybe I got your tone wrong.

Nonetheless,

One thing to clarify you can also get those tax back at the airport in the form of cash as well. I don't know here in CH whether they have refund desk at the airport or not. But when my family visited me they got it back immediately upon their departure in the U.K and France. So no waiting or missing the payment.

Second he could be that smuggle the product he buys here tax free if it is over the limit. But we don't need to tag him as such already n give tough words.

Why can we just tell him hey here only 8 bloody % tax on the product and it is not cheap here despite of 8% tax. Go n get it somewhere else where sales tax are high in order to take an advantage of tax free thing such as U.K and Germany for that matter. I know that even though U.K has 20% vat on, they still sell goods cheaper than CH. Especially electronic goods. I bought 2 of my computers in London. Don't you worry I bought with tax on but it was cheaper than anywhere in Europe(sorry , I cannot be certain but it was cheaper than Germany, France n Korea at least. ) But my hubby bought a laptop from somewhere else for 2 x more than it is in the U.K for the same specs only for a keyboard of his wish(dumm!!, I can be harsh on him!! )

Umm, where was I?!?!??


Back to the story,

And cheapest Apple notebook about 1,000 francs(I would go for better spec though ) so he gets all those discount he talked about then, he could be that under the tax free allowance. I am pretty much guessing anyway though.
(I am still struggling to make you to somehow if not somewhat think that it could be under the limit. It could be that he gets 23% off(googled 15%(?) student discount and 8% discount if he gets all)

Anyhow I won't tail you any more.
First of all, I could be wrong and second I am no help to the OP's question.
If I was OP, I could be upset despite of having post now and then, it is not actually a help to the question but exchange of this tax free and smuggling bit.


You all have a nice n pleasant Sunday!!!

Last edited by happyday; 22.01.2012 at 13:00. Reason: Adding info
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22.01.2012, 16:14
My2pups's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,706
Groaned at 94 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,989 Times in 870 Posts
My2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond reputeMy2pups has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Can one buy a Mac laptop at Apple CH with anything other than a Swiss keyboard? OP, do you want a Swiss keyboard?

I always buy my Macs refurbished, from Apple in the US. Best prices and with the dollar low against most currencies (especially CHF), it makes it an even bigger bargain. But probably not convenient if you do not want a US keyboard.

fduvall
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 22.01.2012, 16:40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ...
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopularSamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopular
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quote:
View Post
Can one buy a Mac laptop at Apple CH with anything other than a Swiss keyboard? OP, do you want a Swiss keyboard?

I always buy my Macs refurbished, from Apple in the US. Best prices and with the dollar low against most currencies (especially CHF), it makes it an even bigger bargain. But probably not convenient if you do not want a US keyboard.

fduvall
In store you can only get Swiss keyboard, but you can get English keyboard if you order online. I have nothing against refurbs, they are good machines, but to order from USA isn't really convenient. If you live in the US or visiting often, one thing you might wanna look for are "open box deals" in some big retail chains. We don't have these in Europe, but I hear these deals come with a better price then refurb, but are literally new products, only opened, returned fast I personally don't really care to much about keyboard layout, because I hardly look at it while I type :P lol
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22.01.2012, 16:48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: ...
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopularSamaelSeraphim has become a little unpopular
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

So, I asked a simple, yes or no question and instead of yes or no answers I got some kind of passive - aggressive attitude There are some really nice people here, but some are just.........not cool..........
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02.10.2012, 18:14
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,553
Groaned at 49 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quick Global Blue questions . . .

Does anyone know if I could get the export forms stamped at London City Customs but then get the refund from Global Blue at Zürich Airport? This would save any post hassle.

If you want to get a refund without involving Global Blue, you get your receipts stamped and send a form to HMRC. In what form do they send you payment?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03.10.2012, 10:08
dino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,631
Groaned at 31 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,279 Times in 628 Posts
dino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Apple Store - Tax Refund - Global Blue

Quote:
View Post
You can't get much from Apple for CHF300...
oh you can get lots of those clever old-connector-to-new-connector adapters.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Global Blue - tax reclaim motus Finance/banking/taxation 32 20.01.2016 21:49
Tax refund basel city Leaving Switzerland 3 01.02.2011 11:32
Blue Dog clothing store in Luzern Guest General off-topic 3 14.07.2007 14:42
Tax refund when buying from French online store? zourab Finance/banking/taxation 4 10.04.2007 16:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0