English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Finance/banking/taxation (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/)
-   -   Tax on Overseas Earnings? (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/141597-tax-overseas-earnings.html)

amelia4 16.03.2012 12:09

Tax on Overseas Earnings?
 
I moved to Switzerland (B Permit) about a year ago, but kept my job in my home country (working remotely) and have been earning overseas. Am I responsible for paying income tax in Switzerland on my overseas earnings?

miniMia 16.03.2012 12:11

Re: Tax on Overseas Earnings?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amelia4 (Post 1515163)
I moved to Switzerland (B Permit) about a year ago, but kept my job in my home country (working remotely) and have been earning overseas. Am I responsible for paying income tax in Switzerland on my overseas earnings?

Yes.

(message too short)

Quebecman 16.03.2012 13:40

Re: Tax on Overseas Earnings?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amelia4 (Post 1515163)
I moved to Switzerland (B Permit) about a year ago, but kept my job in my home country (working remotely) and have been earning overseas. Am I responsible for paying income tax in Switzerland on my overseas earnings?

In some cases the answer is no!

Here is one case where I know that the answer is no:

You are a university professor in country A. You come to Switzerland on sabbatical at some Swiss university. Your main income is your salary from your home university in country A. In addition, you have a small salary from your host university in Switzerland. Then...

(a) You certainly don't pay taxes to the Swiss government on the income you are receiving from your home university in country A. You do of course pay taxes on that income to your country A.

(b) You pay a small amount of tax on the salary that you get from your host university. That small amount of tax is automatically taken out of your paycheck. You don't have to file a tax return in Switzerland because your Swiss income is too small.

(c) In most cases, you are supposed to declare your Swiss income in your tax return to country A.

Cheers!

st2lemans 16.03.2012 13:55

Re: Tax on Overseas Earnings?
 
If your legal residence is CH, then you pay taxes in CH, regardless of where you earn your pay!

Tom

miniMia 16.03.2012 14:26

Re: Tax on Overseas Earnings?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 1515237)
If your legal residence is CH, then you pay taxes in CH, regardless of where you earn your pay!

Tom

Except if you are professor from Country A on sabbatical at a Swiss university. ;)

I'm sure there are other exceptions but with ZERO information about Amelia4 this is the most probable answer.

Caviarchips 16.03.2012 14:39

Re: Tax on Overseas Earnings?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by miniMia (Post 1515268)
Except if you are professor from Country A on sabbatical at a Swiss university. ;)

I'm sure there are other exceptions but with ZERO information about Amelia4 this is the most probable answer.

Don't you just hate it when they post a question and then bugger off? ;)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:34.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0