Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
View Poll Results: Which company?
Amazon 45 30.41%
Apple 32 21.62%
Facebook 12 8.11%
Google 59 39.86%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 08.09.2017, 18:49
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,896
Groaned at 445 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 22,039 Times in 11,454 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Kroger is looking not too hot!
It had already fallen 10% a few days before it was tipped, off nearly another 10% today, it's like trying to catch a falling knife.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 08.09.2017, 18:56
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Still learning about stocks and playing with virtual portfolios, but I'm leaning towards tech mostly:

NDVA
AMD
FB
TSLA
TEAM
interesting picks. NDVA i considered too late. back in 2016 it reached about 100. i figured it had more to run in the short term, but not sure i'd be happy to hold onto it long term. i think it is up over 50% since then.

AMD is an interesting one. more of a gamble than an investment - it could drop to $5 or gain more. so much volatility. i really like their EPYC chip, which i think has legs in the datacentre, but they are fighting on two fronts against two giants. i'll be glad if they pull it off, but it's a risky bet.
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 15.09.2017, 16:28
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

It's been a bit of a volatile ride (esp. with FEVR plunging 12%+ today) but after 9 months, my portfolio finally managed to overtake my own benchmark MCR_fund.

Which is quite annoying since I started with the MCR_fund and spent time buying/selling until none of the original companies remained (GOOG, AMZN, FB). I could have instead done nothing for a year and would be in the same financial position!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #304  
Old 15.09.2017, 16:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,896
Groaned at 445 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 22,039 Times in 11,454 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
It's been a bit of a volatile ride (esp. with FEVR plunging 12%+ today) but after 9 months, my portfolio finally managed to overtake my own benchmark MCR_fund.

Which is quite annoying since I started with the MCR_fund and spent time buying/selling until none of the original companies remained (GOOG, AMZN, FB). I could have instead done nothing for a year and would be in the same financial position!
Trading rarely pays off which is why must fund managers under perform year after year
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #305  
Old 25.10.2017, 08:59
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spook...211344270.html

The AMD roller-coaster continues! Revenue and earnings beat expectations and (turns profitable for the first time in years). Shares fall >10% in after hours trading on weak future guidance.

I don't see much optimism for AMD in the consumer market.

I think their EPYC product is great, but they have maybe a year or more in lead time before it can hit data centers. A year in which Intel already began to fight back.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 25.10.2017, 09:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,624
Groaned at 70 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,794 Times in 2,054 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

One problem for AMD was always volume.

They do have to make the EPYCs available in volume pretty fast or people will just skip it.

You don't beat Intel by selling a couple of small servers to SOHO businesses here and there. Much less need for these kinds of servers anyway these days as small companies have outsourced a lot of hardware-stuff to MSPs or the cloud.

Volume was always Intel's staple.
Unfortunately for them, they've been struggling, too, recently (witness the whole Kaby Lake delay debacle).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #307  
Old 25.10.2017, 11:08
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
One problem for AMD was always volume.

They do have to make the EPYCs available in volume pretty fast or people will just skip it.

You don't beat Intel by selling a couple of small servers to SOHO businesses here and there. Much less need for these kinds of servers anyway these days as small companies have outsourced a lot of hardware-stuff to MSPs or the cloud.

Volume was always Intel's staple.
Unfortunately for them, they've been struggling, too, recently (witness the whole Kaby Lake delay debacle).
I don't see there should be a problem for AMD to ramp volume. The bigger issue is the lead time for datacenter validation and during this time Intel can respond. They already adjusted their roadmap on the consumer side.

On the plus side, everybody wants and alternative to Intel in the datacenter. Whether AMD can sustain a credible pipeline of server chips is another question.
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 25.10.2017, 17:53
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 962
Groaned at 128 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 752 Times in 414 Posts
EPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputation
Re: Stock investment poll

Looks like this thread is turning into a semiconductors thread...

Speaking of semiconductors: what is your opinion on SMH? I bought into this ETF some while ago and seems to produce fantastic returns. I am just worried that the industry is turning into a bubble.

Quote:
View Post
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spook...211344270.html

The AMD roller-coaster continues! Revenue and earnings beat expectations and (turns profitable for the first time in years). Shares fall >10% in after hours trading on weak future guidance.

I don't see much optimism for AMD in the consumer market.

I think their EPYC product is great, but they have maybe a year or more in lead time before it can hit data centers. A year in which Intel already began to fight back.
Quote:
View Post
One problem for AMD was always volume.

They do have to make the EPYCs available in volume pretty fast or people will just skip it.

You don't beat Intel by selling a couple of small servers to SOHO businesses here and there. Much less need for these kinds of servers anyway these days as small companies have outsourced a lot of hardware-stuff to MSPs or the cloud.

Volume was always Intel's staple.
Unfortunately for them, they've been struggling, too, recently (witness the whole Kaby Lake delay debacle).
Quote:
View Post
I don't see there should be a problem for AMD to ramp volume. The bigger issue is the lead time for datacenter validation and during this time Intel can respond. They already adjusted their roadmap on the consumer side.

On the plus side, everybody wants and alternative to Intel in the datacenter. Whether AMD can sustain a credible pipeline of server chips is another question.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 25.10.2017, 18:55
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Looks like this thread is turning into a semiconductors thread...

Speaking of semiconductors: what is your opinion on SMH? I bought into this ETF some while ago and seems to produce fantastic returns. I am just worried that the industry is turning into a bubble.
I sold all my semi-conductor stocks not long ago, thinking the prices were looking a bit heady. They are now >13% up since then.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 26.10.2017, 09:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 962
Groaned at 128 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 752 Times in 414 Posts
EPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputation
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
I sold all my semi-conductor stocks not long ago, thinking the prices were looking a bit heady. They are now >13% up since then.
Even though looking at SMH, I see a weighted average P/E of 20, which is not too high, even lower than the overall tech sector QQQ and just somewhat higher than the entire us market or world market

So maybe this time (as opposed to .dom) semiconductor valuations are pushed up by real growth in the sector and not by a .com like bubble.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 26.10.2017, 12:58
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Even though looking at SMH, I see a weighted average P/E of 20, which is not too high, even lower than the overall tech sector QQQ and just somewhat higher than the entire us market or world market

So maybe this time (as opposed to .dom) semiconductor valuations are pushed up by real growth in the sector and not by a .com like bubble.
Well the ones I held had P/E > 40
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 26.10.2017, 16:52
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Now one of them up 27% since I sold. I hate shares. I should never sell anything.

https://finance.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:STM
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #313  
Old 27.10.2017, 10:20
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

speaking of never selling anything, i should have stuck with with the MCR_Fund (FB, AMZN, GOOG).

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ama...fit-2017-10-26
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 27.10.2017, 10:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 962
Groaned at 128 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 752 Times in 414 Posts
EPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputation
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
speaking of never selling anything, i should have stuck with with the MCR_Fund (FB, AMZN, GOOG).

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ama...fit-2017-10-26
Well, Amazon is hardly a bargain at a p/e around 250!!!
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 27.10.2017, 10:57
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Well, Amazon is hardly a bargain at a p/e around 250!!!
Yet it is up to ~450% of it's price since the start of this thread!

Last edited by Phil_MCR; 27.10.2017 at 13:05. Reason: too many zeros
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 27.10.2017, 11:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 962
Groaned at 128 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 752 Times in 414 Posts
EPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputation
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Yet it is up to ~4500% of it's price since the start of this thread!
Well, I wish I invested in Amazon at the start of this thread...

BTW: do you know what was the p/e at that time?
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 27.10.2017, 11:20
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,840
Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 6,536 Times in 3,623 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Yet it is up to ~4500% of it's price since the start of this thread!
Quote:
View Post
speaking of never selling anything, i should have stuck with with the MCR_Fund (FB, AMZN, GOOG).

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ama...fit-2017-10-26
Quote:
View Post
Well, I wish I invested in Amazon at the start of this thread...

BTW: do you know what was the p/e at that time?
I’m happy with my longstanding list since Trump’s presidential elections. Despite SNAP and GPRO were having a tough ride, I still believe in their turn around. Herewith, my list. Please prop it up by investing in the same stocks on NASDAQ.
Attached Thumbnails
stock-investment-poll-c14a9ae1-8443-4091-8d34-0b50879551b3.jpg  
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jacek for this useful post:
  #318  
Old 27.10.2017, 11:27
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Well, I wish I invested in Amazon at the start of this thread...

BTW: do you know what was the p/e at that time?
probably still in the triple digits.

EDIT: even worse than that:

Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 27.10.2017, 11:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,898
Groaned at 456 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 11,787 Times in 6,144 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Amazon reported $0.59 diluted earnigs per share for 2013.

Btw Phil, 450% (350% gain) is more like it since 2012.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #320  
Old 27.10.2017, 14:34
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Amazon reported $0.59 diluted earnigs per share for 2013.

Btw Phil, 450% (350% gain) is more like it since 2012.
yes, i got a bit carried away with the zeros...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CS stock V UBS stock today ukal123 Finance/banking/taxation 2 15.06.2012 11:19
Liquid stock EmpressJo Food and drink 6 10.08.2011 00:03
Stock Market Manipulation? Guest Finance/banking/taxation 1 07.05.2010 01:06
Marigold stock Dee Food and drink 20 07.04.2008 12:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0