Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
View Poll Results: Which company?
Amazon 45 30.41%
Apple 32 21.62%
Facebook 12 8.11%
Google 59 39.86%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #501  
Old 20.11.2020, 18:14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 271
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 139 Times in 94 Posts
Dr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeable
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
You can look at the past, unless you believe it's different this time..........
I am seeing a lot of anti Amazon posting on FB, 'support local shops', I have not seen that before.
Sure, and Facebook seem to be under scrutiny too. And yet, both keep growing.

And regarding your previous post about Amazon's market cap, Microsoft is even bigger. That hasn't prevented Terry Smith from investing into it though
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 20.11.2020, 18:19
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Sure, and Facebook seem to be under scrutiny too. And yet, both keep growing.

And regarding your previous post about Amazon's market cap, Microsoft is even bigger. That hasn't prevented Terry Smith from investing into it though
FB & Microsoft have far better returns on capital & very much cheaper p/e

Amazon p/e 91
FB p/e 31
Microsoft p/e 34

ROCE of FB & MSFT more than 50% higher than Amazon
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 20.11.2020, 18:40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 271
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 139 Times in 94 Posts
Dr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeable
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
FB & Microsoft have far better returns on capital & very much cheaper p/e

Amazon p/e 91
FB p/e 31
Microsoft p/e 34

ROCE of FB & MSFT more than 50% higher than Amazon
First the return on capital, then the market cap, and now the PE ratio. You keep changing metric

Amazon's PE ratio has always been high, so that's probably not the right number to look at.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...mazon/pe-ratio

If we look at the 5 year PEG ratio instead, which accounts for growth, it looks like Amazon is cheaper than Microsoft: 1.21 vs 2.49.
Is this the right metric to look at? I am afraid I have no idea. However people smarter than me don't like to buy stocks whose 5-year PEG ratio is above 2.
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 20.11.2020, 18:50
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,689
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,538 Times in 7,784 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
First the return on capital, then the market cap, and now the PE ratio. You keep changing metric

Amazon's PE ratio has always been high, so that's probably not the right number to look at.
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...mazon/pe-ratio

If we look at the 5 year PEG ratio instead, which accounts for growth, it looks like Amazon is cheaper than Microsoft: 1.21 vs 2.49.
Is this the right metric to look at? I am afraid I have no idea. However people smarter than me don't like to buy stocks whose 5-year PEG ratio is above 2.
if you want to analyse amazon, forget about profit metrics and look at cash.
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 20.11.2020, 20:18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 271
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 139 Times in 94 Posts
Dr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeable
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
if you want to analyse amazon, forget about profit metrics and look at cash.
Yes, that seems about right.
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 05.12.2020, 18:16
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,689
Groaned at 284 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 18,538 Times in 7,784 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
And here it is: https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EGSPC?p=^GSPC

Peak S&P500 at 4'000?
Getting closer. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would do if we do get a blow-off top in the next month and S&P500 goes parabolic to 4000.

The initial 'obvious' answer is to sell but I've been burned too many times when selling even at the top.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #507  
Old 05.12.2020, 19:08
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Getting closer. To be honest, I'm not sure what I would do if we do get a blow-off top in the next month and S&P500 goes parabolic to 4000.

The initial 'obvious' answer is to sell but I've been burned too many times when selling even at the top.
If anybody had a crystal ball and could foresee when the market is going to be peak, that would be a sure way to get rich.

Meanwhile, most of us are happy making reasonable profits, even if they are not the best possible profits.
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 05.12.2020, 19:52
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
If anybody had a crystal ball and could foresee when the market is going to be peak, that would be a sure way to get rich.

Meanwhile, most of us are happy making reasonable profits, even if they are not the best possible profits.
The market will always reach new peaks in the future
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 05.12.2020, 20:15
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,248
Groaned at 373 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 14,362 Times in 6,661 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
The market will always reach new peaks in the future
That

Seeing that I celebrated the DAX reaching 3000 (yes, Im that old)
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 05.12.2020, 20:33
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
That

Seeing that I celebrated the DAX reaching 3000 (yes, Im that old)
1997 or 2003, not that long ago!
Reply With Quote
  #511  
Old 06.12.2020, 12:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
1997 or 2003, not that long ago!
If it's celebrating then I imagine 1997 not 2003 - unless he's a short seller!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #512  
Old 07.12.2020, 18:31
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,855
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,638 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

What is it with GoPro for the past couple of days?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gopro...163204884.html

Is it worth investment or not???
Reply With Quote
  #513  
Old 07.12.2020, 19:03
GenevaSculler's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,251
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,033 Times in 534 Posts
GenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond reputeGenevaSculler has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
What is it with GoPro for the past couple of days?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gopro...163204884.html

Is it worth investment or not???
Small cap company with a pretty small addressable market for the core products. If it's already up 25% I'd say you've probably missed the opportunity for a short-term trade, and I personally wouldn't touch it as a long-term investment without being confident that they have a strong pipeline of new products to grow their addressable market.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank GenevaSculler for this useful post:
  #514  
Old 07.12.2020, 19:21
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,855
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,638 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Small cap company with a pretty small addressable market for the core products. If it's already up 25% I'd say you've probably missed the opportunity for a short-term trade, and I personally wouldn't touch it as a long-term investment without being confident that they have a strong pipeline of new products to grow their addressable market.
Just got merely 100 shares long ago and keep them since 2015 trying to break even at some point

Also Sonoma Pharm. former Oculus Innov. are the only black sheep in my otherwise well doing portfolio.

Out of 12 only 2 investments are lagging far behind the rest.
Reply With Quote
  #515  
Old 07.12.2020, 19:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Just got merely 100 shares long ago and keep them since 2015 trying to break even at some point
I suspect this may be a decent exit point.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #516  
Old 07.12.2020, 19:32
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,855
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,638 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
I suspect this may be a decent exit point.
OK. Quite the opposite strategy usually brings the results. I will keep on gambling with it, as it’s not a fortune, and let’s see what it brings in few years time.
Reply With Quote
  #517  
Old 08.12.2020, 15:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Zurich,London and LA
Posts: 19
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Viclajina is considered knowledgeableViclajina is considered knowledgeableViclajina is considered knowledgeable
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
The market will always reach new peaks in the future
During my time in London my then boyfriend advised me to invest in Fundsmith.
He got that right at least.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Viclajina for this useful post:
  #518  
Old 11.01.2021, 18:09
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,855
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,638 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Today seems like the day to buy more positions in FB and TWTR. Let people protest and show dissatisfaction with media but at the end of the day everyone will enjoy using those two platforms.
Reply With Quote
  #519  
Old 11.01.2021, 19:25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 271
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 139 Times in 94 Posts
Dr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeable
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Today seems like the day to buy more positions in FB and TWTR. Let people protest and show dissatisfaction with media but at the end of the day everyone will enjoy using those two platforms.
Not everyone. One person is definitely not using those platforms anymore

Anyway, how many shares have you bought?
Reply With Quote
  #520  
Old 11.01.2021, 19:28
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,855
Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 6,571 Times in 3,638 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stock investment poll

Quote:
View Post
Not everyone. One person is definitely not using those platforms anymore

Anyway, how many shares have you bought?
Thats the discussion for another thread with poll
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CS stock V UBS stock today ukal123 Finance/banking/taxation 2 15.06.2012 12:19
Liquid stock EmpressJo Food and drink 6 10.08.2011 01:03
Stock Market Manipulation? Guest Finance/banking/taxation 1 07.05.2010 02:06
Marigold stock Dee Food and drink 20 07.04.2008 13:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0