English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Finance/banking/taxation (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/)
-   -   Stock investment poll (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/153461-stock-investment-poll.html)

Phil_MCR 08.08.2012 10:15

Stock investment poll
 
If you had to put a large chunk of your own money in one of these companies (or any alternative company of your choice), which would you pick (please specify if another)?

Google: 642.23
FB: 20.72
AMZN: 234.38
AAPL: 619.86

amogles 08.08.2012 10:16

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1629487)
If you had to put a large chunk of your own money in one of these companies, which would you pick (wait for poll)? Or give an alternative company.

poll missing?

EDIT: visible now.

The_Love_Doctor 08.08.2012 10:19

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Well clearly you wouldn't put all your eggs in one basket...

All of these are tech stocks with varying degrees of exposure to social networking and inovation in the mobile and tablet market... If shit hits the proverbial fan then they're all going down...

What's the aim of this poll anyway?

Phil_MCR 08.08.2012 10:55

Re: Stock investment poll
 
'overpriced' amazon winning so far...

Swiss Cheddar 08.08.2012 10:59

Re: Stock investment poll
 
I presume having 'facebook' as an option is your attempt at humor.

If not, then stay away from the stock market and keep your money under the mattress. You will be better off.

cheers
SC

Caviarchips 08.08.2012 11:03

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Facebook - when everybody is selling, its a good time to buy! (Not QUITE yet though - in 3 months time)

Aside from the list though, I'd buy Target, the US stores

Castro 08.08.2012 11:14

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Yum! Brands, Inc. (NYSE)

http://www.snaptohealth.org/wp-conte...Yum-Brands.jpg

http://static6.businessinsider.com/i...brands-inc.jpg

https://www.bov.com/filebank/imageba...%20Libya3c.jpg

idefix 08.08.2012 14:56

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1629487)
(or an alternative company of your choice), which would you pick (please specify if another)?

Does it have to be IT related or it can be a different field company?

GenevaSculler 08.08.2012 15:07

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1629487)
If you had to put a large chunk of your own money in one of these companies (or an alternative company of your choice), which would you pick (please specify if another)?

Do we have to buy today or can we wait for the next market correction? How long do we have to hold the shares for?

I bought Nestle at 45 last year when Europe seemed to be dieing, and would do so again if it got back to those sorts of levels, but at 60 it's a different question.

Our of your four, if it was a buy-and-hold strategy I would probably pick Amazon as having the best long-term business model, but would need to spend a lot of time doing some financial modelling to decide if the risk/reward was good enough currently.

amogles 08.08.2012 15:51

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GenevaSculler (Post 1629846)
Do we have to buy today or can we wait for the next market correction? How long do we have to hold the shares for?

I bought Nestle at 45 last year when Europe seemed to be dieing, and would do so again if it got back to those sorts of levels, but at 60 it's a different question.

Our of your four, if it was a buy-and-hold strategy I would probably pick Amazon as having the best long-term business model, but would need to spend a lot of time doing some financial modelling to decide if the risk/reward was good enough currently.

I bought Siemens at 62.50 about two weeks ago and they're just short of 74 right now. ABB was 15.50 at the time and is now well over 17 (didn't buy unfortunately). No guarantee they'll stay there though.

GenevaSculler 08.08.2012 16:02

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amogles (Post 1629884)
I bought Siemens at 62.50 about two weeks ago and they're just short of 74 right now. ABB was 15.50 at the time and is now well over 17 (didn't buy unfortunately). No guarantee they'll stay there though.

Quite - timing is everything, which is the point I was trying to make although perhaps not very clearly :) It is hard to reply to the OP without more details of the restrictions on the investment.

idefix 08.08.2012 16:09

Re: Stock investment poll
 
I see everybody goes with their favourite pick, here is mine. ALXN is really interesting pick for me, it's a company that has no competition in what they do and nobody knows (yet) how they produce and how their drug works. Currently above 100, I follow it since 2 year ago and the price just keep going up and up...

There were some rumors this morning that Roche offerent around 130 per share to buy them...

They have been buying out competitors and smaller companies and just nothing can stop them in growing...

Their current drug will be licensed for production to other companies by 2014 but they are doing huge investments in other pipeline in inventing other drugs...

Safe? Probably, but you never know. Interesting? Definitely.

Dark Blue 08.08.2012 16:35

Re: Stock investment poll
 
None of the above actually..all of them are already over priced and most dont even pay dividends.

If you are considering investing in stocks,first dont think about the short term but rather long term(unless you have the time to follow the whole industry you invested in), second try to find companies not already grown but with the the potential to grow.

Suggestions: companies which are going to benefit from rebuilding of Syria, local energy companies who are likly to cooperate with the chinese suppliers.

AbFab 08.08.2012 16:43

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Nestlé have performed solidly for years and pay good dividends.

Of the above I'd buy Facebook as it must be near the bottom just now. But I think this is not the month or year to be buying shares. The euro needs sorting out first...

dino 08.08.2012 20:46

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caviarchips (Post 1629554)
Facebook - when everybody is selling, its a good time to buy! (Not QUITE yet though - in 3 months time)

Aside from the list though, I'd buy Target, the US stores

FB at $10 will be an investment

fatmanfilms 08.08.2012 20:50

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dino (Post 1630195)
FB at $10 will be an investment

Even at 10 it's gardly a bargain.

Phil_MCR 10.08.2012 12:09

Re: Stock investment poll
 
http://alephblog.com/2012/08/07/reta...+Aleph+Blog%29

article i saw today: claims that stocks are overvalued by various metrics.

Caviarchips 10.08.2012 12:34

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1631675)
http://alephblog.com/2012/08/07/reta...+Aleph+Blog%29

article i saw today: claims that stocks are overvalued by various metrics.


Good link. I like the quote "The market is always finding new ways to make a fool out of you" :)

Phil_MCR 17.11.2012 22:00

Re: Stock investment poll
 
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11...in-six-months/

should have trusted my instincts and shorted apple...

fatmanfilms 17.11.2012 22:27

Re: Stock investment poll
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil_MCR (Post 1719423)
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11...in-six-months/

should have trusted my instincts and shorted apple...

Would you have even be able to short?
Probably time to go long buy another lot!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:50.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0