Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.10.2012, 09:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

I just read the thread concerning the C-Permit and tax's and was wondering what the deductibles are for B-Permit holders?

I have been informed that one is allowed to deduct some from a yearly GA travel card if you work in a different canton, which I do. Is this correct and how much is the deductible?

Also, as I have B-permit I'm taxed at source. Currently my employer is in GE but I work in VD and live in FR. The tax tables for each show that the income tax withheld is higher in both GE and VD (I'm eventually going to get taxed in VD) than in my residence canton FR so I guess I should claim some of the over paid tax money back.

What (if any) are the commuting to/from work in own car deductibles?

And lastly, I was also told that if the work place does not have a canteen one is allowed to deduct CHF 15 per day from the gross salary which in turn will (in some cases) get you a lower tax rate

So, any pointers on this and when is the last chance for claiming this? Is there a retro claim time frame as well (like 5 years, a couple of years etc)?

Cheerio
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.10.2012, 12:12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 432
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 184 Posts
dmarkd has earned some respectdmarkd has earned some respect
Re: Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

Quote:
View Post
The tax tables for each show that the income tax withheld is higher in both GE and VD (I'm eventually going to get taxed in VD) than in my residence canton FR so I guess I should claim some of the over paid tax money back.
Why will you eventually be taxed in VD, when you live in FR?

Sounds like you really need an accountant.....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.10.2012, 12:14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

Quote:
View Post
Why will you eventually be taxed in VD, when you live in FR?

Sounds like you really need an accountant.....
Because that's the way the company in which I work for operates. Some companies will do the correct withholding (at source) depending on what canton the employee lives in, others don't.

Would not need an accountant for these simple questions...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.10.2012, 12:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

If you want to get maximum benefit, go pay an accountant for an hour. It won't take any longer unless you have numerous investments, houses and a pot of cash.

You are taxed where YOU live
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.10.2012, 12:30
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

Quote:
View Post
Because that's the way the company in which I work for operates. Some companies will do the correct withholding (at source) depending on what canton the employee lives in, others don't.

Would not need an accountant for these simple questions...
Working in VD your paying withholding tax in CH, your final liability is in France. Any tax deducted will be credited to your possibly way higher French liability.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.10.2012, 12:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

Quote:
View Post
Working in VD your paying withholding tax in CH, your final liability is in France. Any tax deducted will be credited to your possibly way higher French liability.
Pssst ... FR = Fribourg, not France, in this case ...

Quote:
View Post
... my residence canton FR ...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.10.2012, 13:16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 432
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 184 Posts
dmarkd has earned some respectdmarkd has earned some respect
Re: Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

Quote:
View Post
Because that's the way the company in which I work for operates. Some companies will do the correct withholding (at source) depending on what canton the employee lives in, others don't.

Would not need an accountant for these simple questions...
Well, even if your company deducts tax at source at the incorrect rate(i.e. not at the rate of your residence canton ) then surely this will be corrected once you submit a tax return to your residence canton, won't it? Do you do this already, or not yet because you have earned < 120k p.a. so far?

As for the other simple questions, you probably need someone who is an expert in tax affairs for the canton of your residence....maybe someone will be along shortly.....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.10.2012, 13:52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

Quote:
View Post
Well, even if your company deducts tax at source at the incorrect rate(i.e. not at the rate of your residence canton ) then surely this will be corrected once you submit a tax return to your residence canton, won't it? Do you do this already, or not yet because you have earned < 120k p.a. so far?
Sorry dmarkd, but did you not read my post at all

These are exactly the questions I'm asking...

Yeah, I'm in Fribourg (FR)and not France, as I otherwise would have had a G-Permit
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.10.2012, 14:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,894
Groaned at 97 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,932 Times in 921 Posts
Anthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

Give the tax people in Fr a call. I just called them yesterday and they are superfriendly and knowledgable . He then transferred me to the the actual taxman who was even nicer and gave even more info....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Anthony1406 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 26.10.2012, 15:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: In the mountains
Posts: 480
Groaned at 18 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 111 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

Quote:
View Post
Give the tax people in Fr a call. I just called them yesterday and they are superfriendly and knowledgable . He then transferred me to the the actual taxman who was even nicer and gave even more info....
I actually once went down to talk to them before and must say they are super friendly (and very patient). Not like the document/paper pushers in other countries
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.10.2012, 17:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 432
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 184 Posts
dmarkd has earned some respectdmarkd has earned some respect
Re: Tax deductibles items - B-Permit?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry dmarkd, but did you not read my post at all

These are exactly the questions I'm asking...

Yeah, I'm in Fribourg (FR)and not France, as I otherwise would have had a G-Permit
Hey, I DID read the question and I thought I answered it. Obviously we are speaking different languages!!!

BTW, it wasn't me who said you were in France, that was someone else.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax declaration: B to C permit A_k Finance/banking/taxation 8 22.03.2013 12:56
Tax/shipping personal items to US? hangabout Leaving Switzerland 1 23.09.2012 11:14
Tax on post items Jamu Finance/banking/taxation 1 05.11.2010 18:12
Tax question on B Permit mike_n Finance/banking/taxation 17 30.07.2008 18:56
casual work/permit/tax prudence Employment 1 31.03.2008 14:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0