Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06.11.2013, 15:44
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mikefint has slipped a little
Re: Where to invest my money

Ok, take independent advice.

3 years is often not a time horizon I would suggest investing for but this could be because your only plan on staying in Switzerland, so a International firm would be far better for you.

I work for an International Independent Private Wealth Management company offering clients advice and solutions bespoke to the client. This could be signed shares to ETF's and funds.

Currencies can be important and having some advice in that area would come from a detailed conversation.

If you need any help let me know.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06.11.2013, 17:37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don M has no particular reputation at present
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
I have opened a foreign currency account in Croatia where each month I put an average of 2500.00 CHF . So far I have 15000.00 CHF . Recently, I was in Croatia and my officer in a bank proposed to invest in PBZ Fund ( since I said I do not want risky investments ) But the problem is that interests are small if I am saving in Swiss francs in Croatia.
Since they are not very hepful , I will have to find a way myself where to invest money ? That's why I need your help. I am not familiar with swiss banks and ways how to save or invest money. What do you think about funds, term deposits or something like that. Which bank to choose and which way the investment? Does not matter If I have to open a new account here if they are offering better conditions . I would like to deposit my money for 3 years with first payment of 15000 CHf and regulary monthly payment of 2500chf
Thank you very much for all help in advance. Marina
Hi Marina,

Firstly, you should make sure you have a sufficient fund in case any emergencies happen. The last thing you'll want is your money either inaccessible or accessible at a large cost if you need For this the money should be held in instant access savings accounts. Unfortunately you won't earn much of a return on it.

If there is something specific you wish to purchase in 3 years then you could look at a term deposit account. Again, you will find the returns very low. Alternatively you could consider a 3 year corporate or government bond but these could prove difficult to purchase and carry a risk that either they don't pay the interest or principle back so this route would require further investigation if it's of interest.

Finally, you could purchase shares which over the long term are proven to outperform cash and bonds if you are investing regularly but they are for the long term. There could be another market crash in 3 years wiping 40%+ off your capital.

The key consideration is what your time horizon is. The longer it is the more volatility you can accept with your investing. For example, if you invested regularly in the American stock market for any 20 year period since 1900 the chance of getting less than 2.5% per year is under 1%. That's purely an example. For your information investing in America would subject you to currency risk.

Hope this helps.

Don
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06.11.2013, 18:13
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 14,552
Groaned at 215 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 11,892 Times in 6,694 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
Ok, take independent advice.

3 years is often not a time horizon I would suggest investing for but this could be because your only plan on staying in Switzerland, so a International firm would be far better for you.

I work for an International Independent Private Wealth Management company offering clients advice and solutions bespoke to the client. This could be signed shares to ETF's and funds.

Currencies can be important and having some advice in that area would come from a detailed conversation.

If you need any help let me know.
What do you charge per hour for your work, do you receive any commissions or annual payments for any investment you recommend.

Just trying to clarify what you actually mean by independent advise.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06.11.2013, 19:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mikefint has slipped a little
Re: Where to invest my money

Independent advice really means that the company is not owned of associated to any company in particular.

Example:

A bank will only offer their own products when looking for investment.

Other companies call themselves independent as they are not owned by any other financial institution but still only offer a limited range. (We call this 'tied advice')

We develop bespoke investment solutions for each client, this can take a while but we believe in the advice we offer.

Costs and charges do very but this is mainly down to the investment houses we use. Some clients prefer to pay fixed fees and others pay through the solutions. We charge nothing for the initial consultation, will not discuss specific products or providers in that meeting!! But will discuss costs moving forward once we have an idea of what is needed to be done.

Example:

American client wishing to invest, due to limited options for IRS compliant solutions outside of the US, we charge a fee based on UK RDR regulations.

French client wishing to invest, we have a wider range of solutions and commission can be generated by the providers to cover all costs to the client.

Another point to mention: We never touch our clients money and are purely an advisory service regulated in the UK and Switzerland with other international offices.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions in regards to your own situation.

Regards
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06.11.2013, 19:08
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 14,552
Groaned at 215 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 11,892 Times in 6,694 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
Independent advice really means that the company is not owned of associated to any company in particular.

Example:

A bank will only offer their own products when looking for investment.

Other companies call themselves independent as they are not owned by any other financial institution but still only offer a limited range. (We call this 'tied advice')

We develop bespoke investment solutions for each client, this can take a while but we believe in the advice we offer.

Costs and charges do very but this is mainly down to the investment houses we use. Some clients prefer to pay fixed fees and others pay through the solutions. We charge nothing for the initial consultation, will not discuss specific products or providers in that meeting!! But will discuss costs moving forward once we have an idea of what is needed to be done.

Example:

American client wishing to invest, due to limited options for IRS compliant solutions outside of the US, we charge a fee based on UK RDR regulations.

French client wishing to invest, we have a wider range of solutions and commission can be generated by the providers to cover all costs to the client.

Another point to mention: We never touch our clients money and are purely an advisory service regulated in the UK and Switzerland with other international offices.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions in regards to your own situation.

Regards
Sounds like the sort of independent advice I would run a mile to avoid, who are you regulated by in the UK & CH ?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06.11.2013, 19:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mikefint has slipped a little
Re: Where to invest my money

We are directly regulated by FCA in the UK and offer advice to a range of clients.

In Switzerland there is no formal regulation like the UK but we have chosen to be associated to Finma via VQF & ARIFF.

I would also run a miles from bank and tied advisor advice.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Mikefint for this post:
  #27  
Old 06.11.2013, 19:24
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 14,552
Groaned at 215 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 11,892 Times in 6,694 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
We are directly regulated by FCA in the UK and offer advice to a range of clients.

In Switzerland there is no formal regulation like the UK but we have chosen to be associated to Finma via VQF & ARIFF.

I would also run a miles from bank and tied advisor advice.
You claimed to be regulated in Switzerland, which is clearly being economical with the truth at best.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
This user groans at fatmanfilms for this post:
  #28  
Old 06.11.2013, 19:24
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,466
Groaned at 568 Times in 361 Posts
Thanked 11,096 Times in 5,690 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to invest my money

So can someone answer the original question? Where to invest CHF 15'000 for 3 years, fairly safe investment. What do the experts recommend? (Aside from buying advice from themselves...!)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06.11.2013, 19:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mikefint has slipped a little
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
You claimed to be regulated in Switzerland, which is clearly being economical with the truth at best.
Not sure how? You can only do so much in regards to the Swiss system. Our processes in the UK and Switzerland are the same using the same system, only difference is the client has choice of fees or commission.

ID like to know of your qualification and expertise in the field?

Rant over......where to put 15k, will differ for everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06.11.2013, 19:31
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 14,552
Groaned at 215 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 11,892 Times in 6,694 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
We are directly regulated by FCA in the UK and offer advice to a range of clients.
.
Ok as you groaned me I will bite a bit harder

Your FCA regulation in the UK does not regulate you in any way unless the business is transacted in the UK, so has zero benefit to expats living in CH.

Quote:
View Post
.

ID like to know of your qualification and expertise in the field?!
You have given us no details of your qualifications or expertise in the field, merely your regulated by the FCA

Last edited by fatmanfilms; 06.11.2013 at 19:55. Reason: Combined 2 posts
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06.11.2013, 20:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Mikefint has slipped a little
Re: Where to invest my money

Your wrong, using passporting rights from the UK to the rest of Europe and Switzerland all business has to be transacted under FCA rules.

I am a chartered financial planner in the UK and DFM in Switzerland and have been working in the international market for several years, previously with HSBC International.

Thanks for the conversation
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Mikefint for this post:
  #32  
Old 06.11.2013, 20:32
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Zurich with Jung
Posts: 226
Groaned at 87 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 282 Times in 112 Posts
sigmundf is considered knowledgeablesigmundf is considered knowledgeablesigmundf is considered knowledgeable
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
Your wrong, using passporting rights from the UK to the rest of Europe and Switzerland all business has to be transacted under FCA rules.
No, this isn't true for the EEA and you can't passport into Switzerland unless you're an insurance company.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sigmundf for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 06.11.2013, 22:34
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 14,552
Groaned at 215 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 11,892 Times in 6,694 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
Your wrong, using passporting rights from the UK to the rest of Europe and Switzerland all business has to be transacted under FCA rules.

I am a chartered financial planner in the UK and DFM in Switzerland and have been working in the international market for several years, previously with HSBC International.

Thanks for the conversation
Your talking out of your bottom, from the FCA website

'Switzerland – Switzerland is not an EEA State and so there are no passporting rights under the single market directives. EEA general insurers do have the right to set up an establishment in Switzerland (and vice versa) under the provisions of special bilateral treaties between the European Union and Switzerland. It is important to note that this is not a passport right – '

No doubt you will advise everyone to get a Genrali Vision Plan, I believe it pays a great commission

As to my qualifications , I was involved in a BBC Panorama special on how Financial Advisors rip off their customers, some 30 years ago, not a lot changed
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 16.11.2013, 20:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 64
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Mawina23 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Where to invest my money

Thank you guys on so many responses but really not so many people read my full post.
As I said I want something with little or no risk at all.

Many of you are telling that 3 years are not so much ( it can be also 5 but not more) but my plan is to buy a flat in Croatia where m2 is 1500 EURO (or some other country) with my 30. For some people this is strange and impossible but if I have calculated well with some interests on the summe mentioned above this can really happen. I can also save every month 2500 CHF.

Some personal experience would be welcoming since I am really do not familiar with this subject.

In Croatia I have found 1 option which is currently the best one for me. It is open saving in a bank where I would be putting at start 15000 and then every month 2500 more. Interests for saving 2 years there(for saving in CHF so I do not need to change currency and loose money there)are 3,30%. I can withdraw my money anytime but of course I will loose gained interest ( they are no hidden cost by opening or closing saving).
The bad thing is that is not fixed rate. It can be changed every 6 months minus or plus 1 %( or it can stay as it is). Of course I think it will probably go -1 as economic situation in Croatia is really bad in the moment.


PLEASE If you have better advice or you think that my plan is bad tell me. I just do not want to keep money in a bank with no interest. Something is definitely better then nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 16.11.2013, 21:21
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Zurich with Jung
Posts: 226
Groaned at 87 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 282 Times in 112 Posts
sigmundf is considered knowledgeablesigmundf is considered knowledgeablesigmundf is considered knowledgeable
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
Thank you guys on so many responses but really not so many people read my full post.
As I said I want something with little or no risk at all.

Many of you are telling that 3 years are not so much ( it can be also 5 but not more) but my plan is to buy a flat in Croatia where m2 is 1500 EURO (or some other country) with my 30. For some people this is strange and impossible but if I have calculated well with some interests on the summe mentioned above this can really happen. I can also save every month 2500 CHF.

Some personal experience would be welcoming since I am really do not familiar with this subject.

In Croatia I have found 1 option which is currently the best one for me. It is open saving in a bank where I would be putting at start 15000 and then every month 2500 more. Interests for saving 2 years there(for saving in CHF so I do not need to change currency and loose money there)are 3,30%. I can withdraw my money anytime but of course I will loose gained interest ( they are no hidden cost by opening or closing saving).
The bad thing is that is not fixed rate. It can be changed every 6 months minus or plus 1 %( or it can stay as it is). Of course I think it will probably go -1 as economic situation in Croatia is really bad in the moment.


PLEASE If you have better advice or you think that my plan is bad tell me. I just do not want to keep money in a bank with no interest. Something is definitely better then nothing.
A bank in Croatia isn't little or no risk. That's why you're getting the 3.3%.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank sigmundf for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 16.11.2013, 22:58
flavio's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 742
Groaned at 67 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 596 Times in 333 Posts
flavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond reputeflavio has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to invest my money

If you have made your mind up (deposits in Croatia), check with your bank (get confirmation in writing) that:

- Your investment/deposit is covered by the deposit insurance scheme of Croatia.
- That you do not exceed the 400,000 Kuna insurance limit within a single financial entity.
- If you want to save more than 400,000 Kuna, opena another account with another financial entity.

http://www.dab.hr/ENSITE/insurance.html
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank flavio for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 16.11.2013, 23:01
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SO
Posts: 158
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 198 Times in 83 Posts
hjj_74 has an excellent reputationhjj_74 has an excellent reputationhjj_74 has an excellent reputationhjj_74 has an excellent reputation
Re: Where to invest my money

Here is some advice from someone who has no clue about banks or investments other than my own house.

The more interest you get, the higher the risk.

Putting your money on a savings account on the bank will get you no substantial interest, but also no risk if you select the right bank.

If you want no risk, go to a regional "kantonal" bank here in switzerland. They will gladly take your 15k and put it on a bank account. You probably will have to pay a monthly fee for the account if you do not already have an account there.

So, in the end it is up to you how much risk you are willing to take. I remember an Islandic bank that would provide 5% interest. That did not turn out so well....

With a "horizon" of 3 years, I would probably not invest at all. Just keep it "safe", and save more of it. Remember, even if you could get 5% interest, 5% out of 15k is 750 CHF/y. For a 1.5% saving account, interest would be 225 CHF/y. Are you really prepared to risk your money for the 525 CHF extra each year?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hjj_74 for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 17.11.2013, 09:45
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 14,552
Groaned at 215 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 11,892 Times in 6,694 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
Here is some advice from someone who has no clue about banks or investments other than my own house.

The more interest you get, the higher the risk.

Putting your money on a savings account on the bank will get you no substantial interest, but also no risk if you select the right bank.

If you want no risk, go to a regional "kantonal" bank here in switzerland. They will gladly take your 15k and put it on a bank account. You probably will have to pay a monthly fee for the account if you do not already have an account there.

So, in the end it is up to you how much risk you are willing to take. I remember an Islandic bank that would provide 5% interest. That did not turn out so well....

With a "horizon" of 3 years, I would probably not invest at all. Just keep it "safe", and save more of it. Remember, even if you could get 5% interest, 5% out of 15k is 750 CHF/y. For a 1.5% saving account, interest would be 225 CHF/y. Are you really prepared to risk your money for the 525 CHF extra each year?
The cantonal banks are generally guaranteed in full by the canton, so probably the amongst the safest banks in the world. They will open an account for amy resident, there won't be any charges with that level of deposit.

Currency risk is the biggest risk for the OP
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 17.11.2013, 10:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,733
Groaned at 58 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,426 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Where to invest my money

Gold seems to be still a good option, Up 66% since 2007.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 17.11.2013, 10:50
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Zurich with Jung
Posts: 226
Groaned at 87 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 282 Times in 112 Posts
sigmundf is considered knowledgeablesigmundf is considered knowledgeablesigmundf is considered knowledgeable
Re: Where to invest my money

Quote:
View Post
Gold seems to be still a good option, Up 66% since 2007.
thanks for that
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A lady came to my house to ask for money Shafaq Family matters/health 133 20.12.2012 23:12
I would love to give Swiss businesses my money, but.... Slaphead Complaints corner 28 28.06.2012 10:43
2009: Where to invest ? ? Macchiato Finance/banking/taxation 84 10.12.2009 02:04
Where to take scrap metal for money? Confloozed Other/general 4 10.10.2009 00:23
Swiss Income Tax Refund - When to expect my money? monkeynose Finance/banking/taxation 13 27.01.2009 14:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:57.

Comparis

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0