Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.05.2014, 09:53
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oberwallis
Posts: 141
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Penelopy has no particular reputation at present
Fine for late payment

I paid a doctor's bill when the Mannung came (I don't recall ever seeing the initial bill) on the 5th May together with the 10 chf late payment request.

On the 17th May came a bill, addressed to my young son, from a debt collector for 148.35 chf. The letter is dated 8th May and gives him 5 days to make the payment (from the 8th May). However, my daughter took it from the post lady on the 17th so there is no doubt about the date it came.

The letter acknowleges that I paid the bill but charges me 3.35 Zinsen, gives the amount I paid as 267.50, and does not include the late payment fine of 10 chf. The letter does not identify the date that I paid.

It seems to me that once they knew, on the 5th, that I had paid the bill, the costs they incurred would have been minimal.

What can I do?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19.05.2014, 10:00
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fine for late payment

If you have proof of the dates you made payment, I would get in touch with the doctor, tell them how you paid and when, and ask them to explain their billing procedure.

Sounds like an admin error. I had problems with a physio bill last year and, although it took three separate phone calls (eventually I spoke to the doctor instead of the dippy receptionist), they cancelled the bill. It should have been sent to the accident insurers in my case but instead it just got stuck in a loop
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 19.05.2014, 10:12
John_H
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fine for late payment

I've yet to have the pleasure of a late payment fine, however I was threatened with being reported to office de pursuites once when, on the same day I received a bill, reminder and threat at the same time, three letters together! Anyways I just paid.

I do find it pretty annoying though that you receive a service, like the doctor. And the bill will arrive at some completely random time in the future, not of your choosing and you must pay it on time or else.. I mean of course you must pay but what if you are on holiday and don't see it for 3 weeks or more.

I think the service provider should have 30 days to issue the bill, same as I have 30 days to pay it.. Each day they are late to issue reduces the bill by x%
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 19.05.2014, 10:42
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fine for late payment

Quote:
View Post
edited...
I think the service provider should have 30 days to issue the bill, same as I have 30 days to pay it.. Each day they are late to issue reduces the bill by x%
Artisan workers, self employed carpenters, plumbers etc have up to 5 years to present their bills...!!

However, you have only 10 days in which to settle a correctly presented bill, not 30 days which most people are given, and most people assume to be their right.

Do not pay ANY money to a debt collection agency, they cannot legally demand any money or interest, only the Betreibungsamt (Debtors Court) can do so.

Always pay your debts in good time directly to the original provider, unless you receive a Betreibung, and then you must pay into the court account.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 19.05.2014, 11:19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oberwallis
Posts: 141
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Penelopy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Fine for late payment

Thank you for your responses. I think part of the problem is that the accident was in December. I have no recall of the initial bill but it was April before the Manung came. The ambulance bill came before the plaster was dry and I paid that immediately.

I have now rang the doctor and they say it is cleary an error as I have paid. The receptionist (I think this one is related to the doctor) said she would call the firm. However, I am still up in the air for the moment.

Is that really so that a debt collection agency cannot demand money? That is good information to know. I am quite concerned as this has not happened before.

Also, just so I know (hopefully not for another time), is there someone at the court who helps with things like this?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19.05.2014, 11:26
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fine for late payment

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for your responses. I think part of the problem is that the accident was in December. I have no recall of the initial bill but it was April before the Manung came. The ambulance bill came before the plaster was dry and I paid that immediately.

I have now rang the doctor and they say it is cleary an error as I have paid. The receptionist (I think this one is related to the doctor) said she would call the firm. However, I am still up in the air for the moment.

Is that really so that a debt collection agency cannot demand money? That is good information to know. I am quite concerned as this has not happened before.

Also, just so I know (hopefully not for another time), is there someone at the court who helps with things like this?
Why are you paying for an accident anyway? Are you working or on unemployment benefit, in which case treatment for accidents come under Unfallversicherung and you shouldn't even see the bill.

If you aren't working or claiming benefits then, yes, you have to pay but it's worth asking the question.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 19.05.2014, 11:49
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oberwallis
Posts: 141
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Penelopy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Fine for late payment

Hi Sandgrounder, I do not understand your question. All medical bills come to me first and I pay them, then take the detailed breakdown to the Krankenkasse, who reimburse me. That is the way it works here and has nothing to do with employment or not. Slowly, very slowly, things are changing so that doctors can send the bill direct to the Krankenkasse, but it a slow moving change.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19.05.2014, 12:04
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,147
Groaned at 236 Times in 198 Posts
Thanked 21,895 Times in 8,950 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fine for late payment

Quote:
Why are you paying for an accident anyway? Are you working or on unemployment benefit, in which case treatment for accidents come under Unfallversicherung and you shouldn't even see the bill.

If you aren't working or claiming benefits then, yes, you have to pay but it's worth asking the question.
Quote:
View Post
Hi Sandgrounder, I do not understand your question. All medical bills come to me first and I pay them, then take the detailed breakdown to the Krankenkasse, who reimburse me. That is the way it works here and has nothing to do with employment or not. Slowly, very slowly, things are changing so that doctors can send the bill direct to the Krankenkasse, but it a slow moving change.
I think if I've understood the situation correctly that the accident involved her son in which case the employer paid accident insurance doesn't apply ( unless he is working if course) and the claims go via the normal health insurance who then send you a form to fill in giving details of the accident. At least that's how it was for us.

The mountain recovery, ambulance and physio ( not at hospital physio) bills came directly to us and we paid them and got reimbursed and the hospital bills ( including physio carried out there) were sent directly to the insurer and we just received a copy of them.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 19.05.2014, 12:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fine for late payment

Quote:
View Post
Hi Sandgrounder, I do not understand your question. All medical bills come to me first and I pay them, then take the detailed breakdown to the Krankenkasse, who reimburse me. That is the way it works here and has nothing to do with employment or not. Slowly, very slowly, things are changing so that doctors can send the bill direct to the Krankenkasse, but it a slow moving change.
Quote:
View Post
I think if I've understood the situation correctly that the accident involved her son in which case the employer paid accident insurance doesn't apply ( unless he is working if course) and the claims go via the normal health insurance who then send you a form to fill in giving details of the accident. At least that's how it was for us.

The mountain recovery, ambulance and physio ( not at hospital physio) bills came directly to us and we paid them and got reimbursed and the hospital bills ( including physio carried out there) were sent directly to the insurer and we just received a copy of them.
Sorry, I must have skipped over the bit about it being your son's accident (thought it was you that had been in an accident), in which case, you have to pay direct.

Accident bills for adults in employment (or on unemployment benefit) are normally dealt with directly between the treatment centre and the insurers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
debt collectors




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Late for School-have to pay 160 Frank fine! omtatsat Daily life 25 18.11.2017 17:55
Payment of German fine ngweesim Transportation/driving 3 16.06.2013 11:24
Fine for non-payment on Italian Mway Guest General off-topic 21 15.06.2013 09:31
Are late payment charges legal?? SWINGE Finance/banking/taxation 6 21.02.2012 12:11
Late payment of invoices transition Employment 5 22.09.2008 01:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0