Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20.05.2015, 01:52
Join Date: May 2015
Location: 8050 Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rarohde has no particular reputation at present
Working Remotely in Switzerland (tax / visa issues)

Hello. This is first post here so hopefully I am doing this right.

I am US citizen. My wife is a dual US / Swedish citizen. She has been offered a 2-year job in Zurich. I've spoken to my US employer and they are open to allowing me to work remotely from Switzerland.

I believe that as the spouse of an EU citizen that I can get a visa to live / work in Switzerland if my wife is working there. I don't think this is a hard thing to do, though I'm not entirely sure.

If I want to continue working for my US employer (at least for a while), then I am trying to figure out the best way to structure my employment to avoid overtaxation. I think since I would be living in Switzerland, my primary obligation would be to pay Swiss taxes. That's fine. Though if I am doing that it would be good to avoid paying taxes on the US side as well, including requesting an exemption from US withholding and meeting the US standards for foreign residency to avoid double taxation.

As part of any relocation, my employer and I would be renegotiating status and compensation since many of my existing benefits (e.g. health insurance) don't easily transfer overseas. My current employer suggested it might be easier if I am working overseas to convert from an employee to a contractor. I know that such changes have tax implications for the US, would it make any difference from the point of view of taxes and/or visa status in Switzerland? Are there more complicated options worth considering (e.g. single-member LLC)?

I suspect that if I am a foreign national living in Switzerland and being paid by a foreign company, then I probably count as self-employed in Switzerland regardless of how my US employer classifies me. So I would have to pay self-employment taxes in Switzerland, is that right? Where can I find out how much that would amount to in Zurich?

Are there other surprises to look out for if trying to live in Zurich and work for a US company?
Reply With Quote
Old 20.05.2015, 09:04
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,944
Groaned at 449 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 18,084 Times in 10,092 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Working Remotely in Switzerland (tax / visa issues)

Getting the permit isn't difficult, your wife just needs to apply for a dependent's permit for you. It should also include work rights as you will have the same type as she has. You will need to apply for a Type D visa at the nearest Swiss embassy/consulate to where you live so you can enter Switzerland long term legally.


The problems may come from the self-employment/taxation sides. On the self-employment usually as a contractor I think the Swiss authorities would want to see more than one client for you to qualify, otherwise they'll still consider you an employee of your US company. I suggest you contact the Zurich taxation office to find out whether it would be possible or not as technically what status you are defines who pays what for some insurances/taxes.


More self-employment info here:



Tax-wise, yes you will be able to offset/exempt some of the Swiss stuff, but you'll still need to file US tax returns and could owe US tax on top of Swiss ones. Start researching here:


At the Swiss end you could also hit problems. Due to the US's FATCA law US citizens are no longer welcome here at many banks so your choices are limited: UBS, Credit Suisse, PostFinance and the cantonal banks of Basel and Zurich are just about it. You and your wife's accounts will also need to be reported on an annual FBAR form if the aggregate total comes to more than $10,000 at any time of the year. You and she would also need to sign a W-9 form to allow any Swiss bank to pass your account info on to the IRS. And more importantly for your business side no Swiss bank is likely to give you a business account I'm afraid. Nor mortgage or investment accounts.

Depending on your wife's salary and what you earn you would probably need to file a Swiss return each year if your joint income is more than CHF120,000. The Swiss don't do individual returns, only filing jointly so both incomes would be taken into account when deciding what tax you'd pay.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Working remotely from switzerland (home based) for a foreign company Rontary Business & entrepreneur 22 08.06.2013 20:51
Living in Switzerland but working remotely from Canada swisspop Finance/banking/taxation 8 30.05.2013 14:27
EU citizen working remotely from Switzerland Lukki Permits/visas/government 2 30.05.2013 14:21
Marriage in Switzerland (Fribourg) [Visa issues] Gulata Permits/visas/government 3 09.08.2009 16:24
Working Remotely in Switzerland for US employer rage30 Employment 5 06.07.2009 00:07

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:36.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0