Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.06.2015, 01:07
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Geneva/Lausanne
Posts: 246
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 69 Posts
klausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of many
Postdoc with external funding

Hi all,

I just received a fellowship for the next two years, hence, I will no longer be on a contract with my current employer (university of geneva).

My fellowship is also non-taxable (EMBO fellowship) based on a agreement between switzerland and the organization.

I do have a question about AVS and pension contributions. Do I still have to pay them as "self-employed" person or not?

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.09.2015, 16:37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cgking123 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Postdoc with external funding

Congratulations on your fellowship. Do you have written information regarding an agreement between Switzerland and EMBO? It seems that every Canton is different (I am in Basel). I was on EMBO and then HFSP but now the Basel tax office would like to retroactively have me pay taxes. It is a real headache. I guess if I were you I would check with local tax office to be sure it won't be taxed. And if you have any written information regarding agreement between EMBO And CH I would really appreciate it. When we arrived in Basel our HR rep told us that these fellowships weren't taxed and we took it at face value.

We are taking it up the ladder with a lawyer now...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21.09.2015, 16:53
Mullhollander's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,523
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 3,471 Times in 1,542 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postdoc with external funding

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I just received a fellowship for the next two years, hence, I will no longer be on a contract with my current employer (university of geneva).

My fellowship is also non-taxable (EMBO fellowship) based on a agreement between switzerland and the organization.

I do have a question about AVS and pension contributions. Do I still have to pay them as "self-employed" person or not?

Cheers
This document says that "pension income" (income subject to AHV contributions) includes:
"6 What does pension income consist of?
Pension income includes in particular:
* scholarships and similar grants"

https://www.ahv-iv.ch/p/2.03.e
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.09.2015, 22:08
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Geneva/Lausanne
Posts: 246
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 69 Posts
klausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of many
Quote:
View Post
Congratulations on your fellowship. Do you have written information regarding an agreement between Switzerland and EMBO? It seems that every Canton is different (I am in Basel). I was on EMBO and then HFSP but now the Basel tax office would like to retroactively have me pay taxes. It is a real headache. I guess if I were you I would check with local tax office to be sure it won't be taxed. And if you have any written information regarding agreement between EMBO And CH I would really appreciate it. When we arrived in Basel our HR rep told us that these fellowships weren't taxed and we took it at face value.

We are taking it up the ladder with a lawyer now...
Hi cking123,

thanks!

That really sucks for you! I don't have the agreement, but the award letter does say this is "tax free". I know others in Geneva who have it and it is handled by the University whenever someone gets a document asking for taxes and/or social benefits, and they told me to do the same; to forward them the documents and let them handle it.

BTW: I see you are American, what Permis type did you get on your EMBO/HFSP?

I got a new Permis B right before the beginning of my EMBO, based on a university-contract. Now that I'm on the EMBO, the university is pushing to have me get a B again (when I renew in Sep 2016), even though they say I should only be eligible for an L on an external scholarship. They seem to work magic in our department here in Geneva, since many people get a different permis after they call the cantonal immigration department.

Quote:
View Post
Congratulations on your fellowship. Do you have written information regarding an agreement between Switzerland and EMBO? It seems that every Canton is different (I am in Basel). I was on EMBO and then HFSP but now the Basel tax office would like to retroactively have me pay taxes. It is a real headache. I guess if I were you I would check with local tax office to be sure it won't be taxed. And if you have any written information regarding agreement between EMBO And CH I would really appreciate it. When we arrived in Basel our HR rep told us that these fellowships weren't taxed and we took it at face value.

We are taking it up the ladder with a lawyer now...
A quick search found this :
http://wiki.epfl.ch/sch/documents/In...%20holders.pdf

A pdf from the federal govt on the EPFL server.

If you just search taxation it says it should not be taxable nor should there be contributions... but it is up to the canton to decide..

Last edited by 3Wishes; 21.09.2015 at 22:30. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.09.2016, 13:44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Magrinelli E has no particular reputation at present
Re: Postdoc with external funding

Hi Klausenhauser,

I just moved to Geneva as well as post-doc with an EMBO long term fellowship.
Could you confirm me whether in your case you also receive the salary directly from the EMBO or whether you have a contract with unige in which they take the EMBO funding and then move it to you?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.09.2016, 10:28
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Geneva/Lausanne
Posts: 246
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 69 Posts
klausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of many
Re: Postdoc with external funding

Hello Magrinelli,

I get the salary directly from EMBO, unige is not involved at all. Make sure your personal insurance now covers accidents

Initially I started out on a contract but then when I got the EMBO I "resigned". I didn't have to do anything else.

I would contact Annik Baumgartner as she handles registration within the university for people with external funding.


Best Kelvin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.04.2020, 13:29
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Munich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thakur has no particular reputation at present
Re: Postdoc with external funding

[QUOTE=Magrinelli E;2658470]Hi Klausenhauser,

Do you know if I have any chance of looking at a successful EMBO postdoc grant application? I want to apply and people suggested to check some previously selected applications.

Thanks a lot in advance
Mano
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.04.2020, 14:16
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Geneva/Lausanne
Posts: 246
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 107 Times in 69 Posts
klausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of manyklausenhauser has earned the respect of many
Re: Postdoc with external funding

[QUOTE=thakur;3167688]
Quote:
View Post
Hi Klausenhauser,

Do you know if I have any chance of looking at a successful EMBO postdoc grant application? I want to apply and people suggested to check some previously selected applications.

Thanks a lot in advance
Mano

I would always apply for anything you can.


At the end of the day thought it really depends on your CV and that of your supervisor. I applied with a Biochemstry and Nature Communications. However my professor only had Science/Nature/PNAS papers.


It is good practice to do. You never know what will happen!!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swisscare no longer valid for PhD & Postdoc, share with us what you know! Leonidas05 Insurance 62 09.06.2015 10:54
Need help about letter from OCP in FR ( prospective PostDoc with spouse ) andy-alt Permits/visas/government 3 22.04.2012 15:05
Getting Started with External/Hot-shoe Flash Photography bpmccartney Commercial events 0 02.01.2009 16:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0