Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #521  
Old 10.10.2018, 11:21
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,103
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,021 Times in 6,524 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Did anyone convert to the "metal card"? The premium service?

Was wondering if it worthwile or just a waste of money (assuming youŽd have to pay for that) as I already have f.e. travel insurance on my other card.
  #522  
Old 10.10.2018, 11:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 768
Groaned at 84 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 678 Times in 378 Posts
DL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputation
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
Did anyone convert to the "metal card"? The premium service?

Was wondering if it worthwile or just a waste of money (assuming youŽd have to pay for that) as I already have f.e. travel insurance on my other card.
i got converted for free. i would say its worth it because there is cash back on purchases and i've already accumulated enough cash back to cover the advertised price difference between premium and metal.

also the card is more durable. in the last 2 years i've had two plastic cards fail.

normal premium (or metal) is necessary if you use it for a lot of currency exchange as the basic has a very low limit.
This user would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
  #523  
Old 10.10.2018, 11:27
drkarthiks's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 593
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 435 Times in 261 Posts
drkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeable
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
i got converted for free.

How did that happen? Does this mean you have no monthly fee?
  #524  
Old 10.10.2018, 11:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 768
Groaned at 84 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 678 Times in 378 Posts
DL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputationDL21 has an excellent reputation
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

i already had premium (so had paid that fee) and they offered me metal for free when it first came out. i've put a fair amount of cash through them in the last couple of years as my income is in a different currency to 99% of what i spend.
This user would like to thank DL21 for this useful post:
  #525  
Old 10.10.2018, 11:38
drkarthiks's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 593
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 435 Times in 261 Posts
drkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeable
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
i already had premium (so had paid that fee) and they offered me metal for free when it first came out. i've put a fair amount of cash through them in the last couple of years as my income is in a different currency to 99% of what i spend.

ah yea, thought that was the case. But, better to ask
  #526  
Old 23.10.2018, 00:10
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ausland, escaped .ch scamland
Posts: 239
Groaned at 49 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 83 Posts
armed_neutrality is considered unworthyarmed_neutrality is considered unworthyarmed_neutrality is considered unworthy
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Tried sending to their CHF account (GB40 LOYD 3080 1224 0328 52, BIC: LOYDGB2L) from Credit Suisse. Credit Suisse said:

Quote:
The BIC / SWIFT address entered is not correct or does not exist. If you entered 8 digits, add the branch code or XXX for the main branch. Please verify your entry or leave the BIC/SWIFT field empty and enter name and address of the bank."
I double-checked the BIC, but CS wasn't having it, so I removed it and entered the bank's name and address. This cause CS's web site to give the following error:

Quote:
> Please try again later. If the error persists, please call our hotline.
> Error number : NOB00033
This brought back happy memories, because when we were studying computer science, when doing hands-on programming, we often used the string "nob" in error messages. In fact, I wonder whether Credit Suisse has some of my former classmates in their online-banking team.

Anyhow, instead I sent from NKB and they accepted the BIC fine and completed the bank details automatically.

Next, I tried to order a metal card from Revolut from the app, but it said they're out of stock and not accepting orders. Isn't this the high margin product where they should be making profit? Pretty inept to run out.
  #527  
Old 23.10.2018, 09:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
Tried sending to their CHF account (GB40 LOYD 3080 1224 0328 52, BIC: LOYDGB2L) from Credit Suisse.
You'll pay lower commission and get a better rate if you did this via Transferwise.
  #528  
Old 23.10.2018, 17:15
ipoddle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 1,105
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,082 Times in 451 Posts
ipoddle has a reputation beyond reputeipoddle has a reputation beyond reputeipoddle has a reputation beyond reputeipoddle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
You'll pay lower commission and get a better rate if you did this via Transferwise.
I'm being lazy. I've never used Transferwise but I'm heavily using my Revolut card, mostly by transferring from my UBS credit card.. which is probably daft.

If I 'set it up' - whatever that means - I can move money from my UBS account to Revolut via Transferwise for less than a straight bank transfer from UBS account to Revolut ???
  #529  
Old 23.10.2018, 17:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 542
Groaned at 44 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 582 Times in 322 Posts
dandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputationdandi has an excellent reputation
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
If I 'set it up' - whatever that means - I can move money from my UBS account to Revolut via Transferwise for less than a straight bank transfer from UBS account to Revolut ???
I think it is possible but since a direct SWIFT transfer from UBS to the Revolut IBAN is 5 CHF a pop, I really don't think it's worth the pain to go through yet another account. I just transfer CHF in large chunks (>1k at a time) and take the 5CHF hit, it's a pretty small cost considering the time saved.
This user would like to thank dandi for this useful post:
  #530  
Old 23.10.2018, 20:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
I think it is possible but since a direct SWIFT transfer from UBS to the Revolut IBAN is 5 CHF a pop, I really don't think it's worth the pain to go through yet another account. I just transfer CHF in large chunks (>1k at a time) and take the 5CHF hit, it's a pretty small cost considering the time saved.
That's fine if transferring the same currency, I tend not to which is where TW comes in.
  #531  
Old 31.10.2018, 20:52
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ausland, escaped .ch scamland
Posts: 239
Groaned at 49 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 83 Posts
armed_neutrality is considered unworthyarmed_neutrality is considered unworthyarmed_neutrality is considered unworthy
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
Anyhow, instead I sent from NKB and they accepted the BIC fine and completed the bank details automatically.

Next, I tried to order a metal card from Revolut from the app, but it said they're out of stock and not accepting orders. Isn't this the high margin product where they should be making profit? Pretty inept to run out.
I'm getting a lot of email spam from Revolut, a lot; the 100 CHF I sent has disappeared into a black hole, rather than resulting in a credit to my account; and there is no indication of progress on fulfilling my request for a card. So the service is working exactly as I expected.
  #532  
Old 31.10.2018, 21:11
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,103
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,021 Times in 6,524 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
I'm getting a lot of email spam from Revolut, a lot; the 100 CHF I sent has disappeared into a black hole, rather than resulting in a credit to my account; and there is no indication of progress on fulfilling my request for a card. So the service is working exactly as I expected.
Interesting, never had any email spam so far. Is that really from Revolut? (just asking)
  #533  
Old 01.11.2018, 02:08
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Ausland, escaped .ch scamland
Posts: 239
Groaned at 49 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 156 Times in 83 Posts
armed_neutrality is considered unworthyarmed_neutrality is considered unworthyarmed_neutrality is considered unworthy
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
Interesting, never had any email spam so far. Is that really from Revolut? (just asking)
Yeah, it goes to a specific email address I created just for my Revolut account. A recent one said:

Quote:
Subject: Start saving easily with Revolut Vaults ?

Picture the scene - you’re sat on a beach right now sipping on a pina colada
with the wind blowing through your hair, or maybe you’re driving up and down
the highway in your brand new Ferrari. Whatever your financial dreams may be,
we want to help you get there.

[...]
  #534  
Old 11.11.2018, 19:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bench has no particular reputation at present
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Hi All,

As of now, what is the best way to top up or transfer CHF to your Revolut account ?

If you top up Revolut account via Transfer wise, how it works ?

How the Revolut card works, does it automatically exchange the money in Revolut account to the local currency one just used to pay when going abroad ..
?

Thank you.
  #535  
Old 14.11.2018, 17:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,114 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

As of now, what is the best way to top up or transfer CHF to your Revolut account ?

If you top up Revolut account via Transfer wise, how it works ?

How the Revolut card works, does it automatically exchange the money in Revolut account to the local currency one just used to pay when going abroad ..
?

Thank you.



The Revolut CHF account is a British one, so you'll likely pay a fee for topping up from a Swiss account. I just tried topping up with transferwise but it rejects the British account as being a valid CHF account. I'll try with their debit card when it arrives.


All other info you can find online.
  #536  
Old 14.11.2018, 23:43
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 4,107
Groaned at 113 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 5,581 Times in 2,157 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

My 2c worth.. I used revolut for a recent holiday to the USA.. I transferred around 10k in chf, standard internat bank transfer, that took around 3 days to arrive.. I spent USD, everything was seamless.

I didn't really look at fees so I can't comment too much there but i did not notice anything strange.
The immediate feedback was really good. One place I tried to buy tickets, my watch flashed that the card had been blocked, suspicious activity .. I unblocked it via my phone in the time it took the clerk to retry.

I'll keep using it..
  #537  
Old 11.12.2018, 22:34
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,265
Groaned at 72 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,746 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Looks like the CHF IBANs are finally here...

Just got an email about it earlier... the IBAN starts with GB and ends with the same account reference I previously used to ensure the money reaches my Revolut account.

The IBAN is actually the same for CHF and a bunch of other currencies so it looks like a clever way Revolut is routing this money to the right pot without doing any conversions which actually makes sense as it would be a nightmare to have 20 different IBANs for all the different currencies.

Remains to be seen if the GB IBAN causes any issues, but that should be no different to what they used before for their omnibus / pooled account IBAN which also began with GB.

They got there in then end!
  #538  
Old 11.12.2018, 22:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,114 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
Did anyone convert to the "metal card"? The premium service?

Was wondering if it worthwile or just a waste of money (assuming youŽd have to pay for that) as I already have f.e. travel insurance on my other card.

The travel insurance is only available to residents of EU or EEA countries, of which Switzerland is neither.
  #539  
Old 11.12.2018, 22:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,114 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
Looks like the CHF IBANs are finally here...

Just got an email about it earlier... the IBAN starts with GB and ends with the same account reference I previously used to ensure the money reaches my Revolut account.

The IBAN is actually the same for CHF and a bunch of other currencies so it looks like a clever way Revolut is routing this money to the right pot without doing any conversions which actually makes sense as it would be a nightmare to have 20 different IBANs for all the different currencies.

Remains to be seen if the GB IBAN causes any issues, but that should be no different to what they used before for their omnibus / pooled account IBAN which also began with GB.

They got there in then end!

You think?
  #540  
Old 11.12.2018, 22:46
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central
Posts: 218
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 84 Times in 52 Posts
wheatism has made some interesting contributions
Re: Multi Currency Credit Card ["Revolut"]

Quote:
View Post
Looks like the CHF IBANs are finally here...

Just got an email about it earlier... the IBAN starts with GB and ends with the same account reference
Same for me too. I have GB88 ...... with BIC REVOGB....

I will try a small transfer as a test, it says "Only SWIFT transfers are accepted" and "you bank may charge you... so I guess that should work from PostFinance.

If it works ok it might be easier PF CHF=> Revolut CHF than via the TransferWise Borderless Debit Card. But that is free so the ease of use has to make it worthwhile

Anyone tried it yet? What is "new" about it? I thought SWIFT always worked but there was a fee (approx CHF5 maybe if memory serves me)?
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which currency to use for Credit Card when away from CH? JourneyMan Finance/banking/taxation 21 21.01.2013 15:07
Credit Suisse Credit card billing date elfe Finance/banking/taxation 5 13.11.2011 20:12
Paying a Credit Suisse Credit Card Online jerallie Finance/banking/taxation 8 06.10.2011 19:00
multi currency account freeworld Finance/banking/taxation 11 08.08.2011 11:53
AECS in Horgen - Credit Suisse's credit card business - somebody work there? Greg530 Finance/banking/taxation 9 15.04.2007 18:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0