English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Finance/banking/taxation (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/)
-   -   Transferring a UBS account to the UK (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/241539-transferring-ubs-account-uk.html)

dhart 06.10.2015 12:18

Transferring a UBS account to the UK
 
Good morning, does anyone know whether UBS Switzerland helps with setting up an account with UBS UK? I saw that HSBC offers this service but I can't find anything about it on the UBS website. I will call them but just wanted to see if anyone has done this and whether there was a benefit to doing it rather than starting afresh with a new bank once we move (I'm not an EU national). Many thanks for any guidance you can provide, Colleen

fatmanfilms 06.10.2015 12:21

Re: Transferring a UBS account to the UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhart (Post 2461400)
Good morning, does anyone know whether UBS Switzerland helps with setting up an account with UBS UK? I saw that HSBC offers this service but I can't find anything about it on the UBS website. I will call them but just wanted to see if anyone has done this and whether there was a benefit to doing it rather than starting afresh with a new bank once we move (I'm not an EU national). Many thanks for any guidance you can provide, Colleen

UBS does not offer day to day banking for normal people in the UK just as HSBC does not offer day to day banking for normal people in CH.

Just approach any bank.

dhart 06.10.2015 13:54

Re: Transferring a UBS account to the UK
 
Ok, thanks. I was hoping to try and set something up before we got there as we won't have any proof of address for a while until we find a permanent home - wishful thinking.

fatmanfilms 06.10.2015 14:07

Re: Transferring a UBS account to the UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhart (Post 2461455)
Ok, thanks. I was hoping to try and set something up before we got there as we won't have any proof of address for a while until we find a permanent home - wishful thinking.

Tell the bank your moving & open with a Swiss address.

dhart 25.10.2015 17:12

Re: Transferring a UBS account to the UK
 
Hi everyone, I have looked into this and Barclays offers bank accounts to international residents. We need to provide certified copies of utility bills to show proof of Swiss address. Does anyone know a relatively inexpensive way to obtain a certified copy of a utility bill? The notaries charge a small fortune (three figures). I know that Swiss Post makes certified copies of residency permits but that is all they are will to certify as far as I understand. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks

fatmanfilms 25.10.2015 18:34

Re: Transferring a UBS account to the UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhart (Post 2472591)
Hi everyone, I have looked into this and Barclays offers bank accounts to international residents. We need to provide certified copies of utility bills to show proof of Swiss address. Does anyone know a relatively inexpensive way to obtain a certified copy of a utility bill? The notaries charge a small fortune (three figures). I know that Swiss Post makes certified copies of residency permits but that is all they are will to certify as far as I understand. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks

Send the original utilities bill, they will accept it & it costs nothing.
Notaries charge a fixed fee of 20 CHF in ZH to certify a copy of an original.

Sbrinz 22.11.2015 12:30

Re: Transferring a UBS account to the UK
 
Barclays might need a translation, but that is another problem... and very expensive! Did you show them your B permit, which is proof of residence?

magyir 23.11.2015 00:40

Re: Transferring a UBS account to the UK
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 2472633)
Send the original utilities bill, they will accept it & it costs nothing.
Notaries charge a fixed fee of 20 CHF in ZH to certify a copy of an original.

I can concur on this, I had to change my address on a UK insurance policy, they accepted an original UBS multimat statement (which I didn't need back as I can print another anytime).

dhart 23.11.2015 09:06

Re: Transferring a UBS account to the UK
 
Hi there, we have almost finalised setting up this account. In the end they were happy with a credit card statement and our landline phone bill to show our address. and a copy of our passports signed by a bank employee. They wouldn't accept a residency card signed by the post office (the standard for opening bank accounts in Switzerland). Thanks for your help


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:35.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0