Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 15.01.2016, 16:08
xynth's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 823
Groaned at 35 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,956 Times in 565 Posts
xynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond reputexynth has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

Quote:
View Post
Is this,like HFT for retail sector?
If not is there a HFT platform available for retail investors?

thanks y'all (looks into fundsmith...)
No, I believe it is merely a platform where people can use shiny graphs and sliders to configure some simple investment strategy that then runs on their behalf. It basically replaces the investment advisor dude who was asking around the other day on how much he should be earning . This tool shows you immediately how your configured ingredients would've performed in the past and does so at a tiny fraction of a cost that you'd pay at a private bank. It can give you ideas of what ingredients to use and it is less likely to be biased than the investment advisor who is motivated to sell you the product that earns him the highest fees.

Now, there are good investment advisors of course, but unless you are in the net worth range where you can approach private banks, I'd not bother with them too much.

This is unlikely to be a tool for running sophisticated strategies (not that sophisticated doesn't equal good or profitable). HFT has (had) an air of mystery around it but don't be fooled by it. It is nothing but an arms race to the bottom and doesn't scale all that well. You can only trade so much money before you become the target. Anyone who has a profitable HFT system guards it with his life (and more) and most profitable HFT shops I know of are closed to external investors. Given the capacity constraints, it is often more profitable for them to manage their own money than what they could earn on fees from clients.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 15.01.2016, 16:20
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,380
Groaned at 278 Times in 184 Posts
Thanked 17,993 Times in 7,569 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

basically all the banks follow Modern Portfolio Theory. when my friend decided to invest, he saw they charged a huge percentage for this service which he could implement himself (being a mathematician) - hence the idea of turning it into a business.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 20.01.2016, 18:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 958
Groaned at 127 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 748 Times in 411 Posts
EPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputation
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

Thanks for all the replies.

A further topic:

pillar 3a: would you use the 3a fonds or stick with the 3a savings account?

Side note: the 3a account is pledged for indirect amortization.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 20.01.2016, 22:21
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

A further topic:

pillar 3a: would you use the 3a fonds or stick with the 3a savings account?

Side note: the 3a account is pledged for indirect amortization.
The interest rates on the savings accounts are abysmal. That said, look at what happened to the stock market today (and over the last few days). However, over a reasonable time period, I'd go (and have gone, myself) with the fund investment, and in fact now is a better time to do so than yesterday.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 29.03.2016, 14:55
hcl hcl is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Vincennes
Posts: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hcl has no particular reputation at present
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

I would suggest going safe and longterm with a few etfs based on the US market, such as QQQ. In order to get rid of dividend taxation, you should prefer IShares Nasdaq 100 etf. Or some Dow Jones index based etf.

The US retirement system is based on the stock market. The US government cannot afford a longterm stock market collapse.


In order to add some pepper I would also advise investing each year in a small amount of emerging market etf, still with dividend reinvested. Such as EIMI.SW. Invest in the $ ones in order to limit currency risk. See at the end of this link for the different markets: https://www.ishares.com/uk/individua...-imi-ucits-etf

Since this is long term investment, why not put CHF10000 each year for 3 years in a proven longterm investment strategy with low correlation with the stock market such as this one : http://beat-the-dow.com/performance/ This may prove to be the best of your investments if you are patient. And if the market goes down, this may help feel less pain.

A key to low expense easy investment is to use few investment vehicles. Such as only these 3.

With this strategy you should be able to retire with a bunch of money.

Reply With Quote
This user groans at hcl for this post:
  #86  
Old 18.05.2016, 10:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 509
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 127 Posts
naza is considered knowledgeablenaza is considered knowledgeablenaza is considered knowledgeable
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

as part of my daily commute I listen to a podcast on startups and VC. Today there was one which I found "interesting" especially for the lazy investor (and I use this term loosely).

Only available in the US but soon rolling out International. It is an app called iBillionaire (yeah corny name). Basically you create an account and choose a Billionaire and the app copies that exact investment portfolio and re-calibrates every quarter. here is their link https://ibillionaire.com/int/#/

I dismissed this while I was listening but in actual fact it is not such a bad idea and would probably suit most non-serious investors especially those that just want to buy and hold. They also presented at 500 startups which is major startup accelerator

anybody have thoughts on this? anyway I thought of EF on my morning commute
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 18.05.2016, 10:30
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,607
Groaned at 431 Times in 328 Posts
Thanked 21,401 Times in 11,222 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

Quote:
View Post
as part of my daily commute I listen to a podcast on startups and VC. Today there was one which I found "interesting" especially for the lazy investor (and I use this term loosely).

Only available in the US but soon rolling out International. It is an app called iBillionaire (yeah corny name). Basically you create an account and choose a Billionaire and the app copies that exact investment portfolio and re-calibrates every quarter. here is their link https://ibillionaire.com/int/#/

I dismissed this while I was listening but in actual fact it is not such a bad idea and would probably suit most non-serious investors especially those that just want to buy and hold. They also presented at 500 startups which is major startup accelerator

anybody have thoughts on this? anyway I thought of EF on my morning commute
The Billionaire app has been out for a few years......

Buying what others bought several months after the event & at possibly hugely different prices is unlikely to be a big winner.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 18.05.2016, 10:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: 8008 Zurich
Posts: 39
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
olegace has become a little unpopularolegace has become a little unpopular
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

A new entrant is www.truewealth.ch, which is similar to the American robo-advisors such as Wealthfront and Betterment, but gives you more flexibility.

I had a chance to get an in-person presentation from them, and I was quite impressed. I'm in the process of opening an account with them. It'll probably be the best "auto-pilot" choice for the Swiss market, until/unless the larger robo-advisor players move in. Of course this is only if you believe in robo-advisor (vs human advisor) strategy.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 18.05.2016, 11:08
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,786
Groaned at 60 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,411 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

Quote:
View Post
The Billionaire app has been out for a few years......

Buying what others bought several months after the event & at possibly hugely different prices is unlikely to be a big winner.
Little wonder that today's markets jump suddenly up and down!
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 03.06.2016, 15:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 958
Groaned at 127 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 748 Times in 411 Posts
EPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputation
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

So any opinions on Beat the Dow? Other than a groan?

Quote:
View Post
I would suggest going safe and longterm with a few etfs based on the US market, such as QQQ. In order to get rid of dividend taxation, you should prefer IShares Nasdaq 100 etf. Or some Dow Jones index based etf.

The US retirement system is based on the stock market. The US government cannot afford a longterm stock market collapse.


In order to add some pepper I would also advise investing each year in a small amount of emerging market etf, still with dividend reinvested. Such as EIMI.SW. Invest in the $ ones in order to limit currency risk. See at the end of this link for the different markets: https://www.ishares.com/uk/individua...-imi-ucits-etf

Since this is long term investment, why not put CHF10000 each year for 3 years in a proven longterm investment strategy with low correlation with the stock market such as this one : http://beat-the-dow.com/performance/ This may prove to be the best of your investments if you are patient. And if the market goes down, this may help feel less pain.

A key to low expense easy investment is to use few investment vehicles. Such as only these 3.

With this strategy you should be able to retire with a bunch of money.

Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 03.06.2016, 16:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,723
Groaned at 435 Times in 328 Posts
Thanked 11,458 Times in 6,007 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

If you want something Dow-based you may want to look at "Dogs of the Dow". The Dogs strategy is simple to implement, requires little effort, virtually zero financial knowledge and doesn't rely on some propietary voodoo.

According to "Finanz und Wirtschaft" the approach also works (would have worked) for Switzerland (10 SPI members with the highest dividend rate), something like 20% annualized return since 1998 (don't remember exact start year). That's huge! Roughly a double every four years (excluding tax, income tax should be quite little as only dividends should be income-taxed).
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 03.06.2016, 18:09
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: CH
Posts: 314
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 223 Times in 116 Posts
Serk has earned the respect of manySerk has earned the respect of manySerk has earned the respect of many
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

I'd invest in anything related and/or associated with Elon Musk
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 04.06.2016, 03:34
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 1,380
Groaned at 282 Times in 153 Posts
Thanked 1,115 Times in 636 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

Quote:
View Post
I'd invest in anything related and/or associated with Elon Musk
Go for it:

http://www.businessinsider.com/jim-c...ghtmare-2016-5
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 04.06.2016, 10:22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: CH
Posts: 314
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 223 Times in 116 Posts
Serk has earned the respect of manySerk has earned the respect of manySerk has earned the respect of many
Re: Very long term investment for dummies

Isn't it a very short term (trader) outlook though?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
broker, etf, investment, retirement




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to differentiate between a short-term & long-term work permit monkmad Permits/visas/government 8 02.09.2014 08:00
Short term accomodation (=long term hotel ?) in Zürich varioplus Housing in general 4 04.09.2010 11:58
B Permit Form - different for Long term B and Short term B ? samofsydney Permits/visas/government 3 14.02.2010 14:40
Early change of short-term B to long-term B Alirezakarimi Permits/visas/government 12 14.01.2008 00:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0