Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27.06.2016, 09:07
piff's Avatar
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 61
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 24 Times in 20 Posts
piff has earned some respectpiff has earned some respect
Gov.uk Verify & living abroad

I am trying to submit my 2015-2016 tax return (self assessment) in the UK, but cannot get past the Gov.UK Verify stuff they introduced this year.

They are completely blocking online access if you are a non-UK citizen living abroad.

I tried calling them, and they recommended using Digidentity to be verified, but that didn't let me verify the credit card part of it. And none of the other providers will allow me to get verified without a UK passport. I even managed to find a help page on the HMRCs website which specifically said that they don't support digital verification for people living abroad.

A friend used one of the third party tax providers to submit, but now cannot log in to the HMRC website to see how it went, so I'd rather not go that route. So it seems that I am now stuck with doing a paper return. However, I was wondering if anyone in the same situation (non-UK citizen, living abroad) tried and succeeded to submit an online self assessment this year.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss living abroad GoldenPei Introductions 2 31.03.2015 22:42
Living in Switzerland & being self-employed with a UK Ltd otupman Business & entrepreneur 5 02.11.2011 20:19
UK community & property tax responsibilities for expats living in CH? souler Other/general 7 16.09.2011 09:32
Living & Working in CH - Deregister UK? bobbos Permits/visas/government 3 18.02.2011 14:01
EU living abroad & schooling SilviuM Permits/visas/government 7 10.08.2010 16:25

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:02.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0