Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.08.2016, 22:02
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 118
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 35 Posts
RoastedRhino is considered knowledgeableRoastedRhino is considered knowledgeableRoastedRhino is considered knowledgeable
Tax deadline (Zürich, >120.000 CHF)

Hi all,
I need some help to clarify my tax situation, and to recap a bit of the tax deadline for Zürich. I think my situation is not so exceptional, so hopefully it will be helpful for others as well.

My situation: moved to Zürich in Jan 2015, employed, Permit B, married, wife is earning more than 120.000 CHF / year, some deductible expenses (Pillar 3, childcare). Therefore tax have been withheld from our salaries, but we also have to file taxes.

Now, I thought that the deadline for filing taxes was 31 March 2015, same as Swiss people. However, when I write to the Cantonal office (www.steueramt.zh.ch) I get the following indications.

You will receive a tax declaration form (Steuererklärung) from the community in which you are resident but not before mid 2016. If you wish to receive it earlier please contact the tax administration office of your community. Please note that you and your wife remain subject to withholding taxes until at least one of you receives the C permit.

I asked whether the 31-March deadline applies, and she confirms that:

As mentioned before it will not be sent before mid 2016 and needs to be sent back by you within 30 days after you have received it. This is the regular tax declaration form (Steuererklärung). The form to claim back withholding tax is different and needs to be filed on 31 March at the latest. However, since you and your wife are subject to the regular taxation you only need to fill in the Steuererklärung.

A couple of weeks ago, since I have not received any form, I contact the tax office of Zürich and they say (if I understand their German correctly) that taxes can only be filed online, and they give me our PID numbers.

Das Kantonale Steueramt Zürich stellt auf der Homepage
http://www.steueramt.zh.ch/internet/.../software.html
das Softwareprogramm Private Tax zur Verfügung, mit welchem Sie die Steuererklärung ausfüllen können.


Sie erhalten die Steuererklärungsformulare dieses Mal nicht per Post zugestellt.
Bitte füllen Sie die Formulare mittels Software aus.
Reichen Sie die Formulare bis 30.09.2016 ein.


Now, because my German is not good enough to use the software, I go to a tax accountant that files the form on paper (!), and sends them in. He says I should expect a refund in up to two years (!).

Now the questions I have are the following:
  1. What are the real deadlines here?
  2. How about next year? What deadline should I keep in mind? Will I receive paper forms? Will I do it online?
  3. Is there any way to get a faster tax return?

Thanks a lot, and apologies for the long message!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.08.2016, 22:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,579
Groaned at 1,255 Times in 836 Posts
Thanked 19,873 Times in 7,663 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax deadline (Zürich, >120.000 CHF)

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,
I need some help to clarify my tax situation, and to recap a bit of the tax deadline for Zürich. I think my situation is not so exceptional, so hopefully it will be helpful for others as well.

My situation: moved to Zürich in Jan 2015, employed, Permit B, married, wife is earning more than 120.000 CHF / year, some deductible expenses (Pillar 3, childcare). Therefore tax have been withheld from our salaries, but we also have to file taxes.

Now, I thought that the deadline for filing taxes was 31 March 2015, same as Swiss people. However, when I write to the Cantonal office (www.steueramt.zh.ch) I get the following indications.

You will receive a tax declaration form (Steuererklärung) from the community in which you are resident but not before mid 2016. If you wish to receive it earlier please contact the tax administration office of your community. Please note that you and your wife remain subject to withholding taxes until at least one of you receives the C permit.

I asked whether the 31-March deadline applies, and she confirms that:

As mentioned before it will not be sent before mid 2016 and needs to be sent back by you within 30 days after you have received it. This is the regular tax declaration form (Steuererklärung). The form to claim back withholding tax is different and needs to be filed on 31 March at the latest. However, since you and your wife are subject to the regular taxation you only need to fill in the Steuererklärung.

A couple of weeks ago, since I have not received any form, I contact the tax office of Zürich and they say (if I understand their German correctly) that taxes can only be filed online, and they give me our PID numbers.

Das Kantonale Steueramt Zürich stellt auf der Homepage
http://www.steueramt.zh.ch/internet/.../software.html
das Softwareprogramm Private Tax zur Verfügung, mit welchem Sie die Steuererklärung ausfüllen können.


Sie erhalten die Steuererklärungsformulare dieses Mal nicht per Post zugestellt.
Bitte füllen Sie die Formulare mittels Software aus.
Reichen Sie die Formulare bis 30.09.2016 ein.


Now, because my German is not good enough to use the software, I go to a tax accountant that files the form on paper (!), and sends them in. He says I should expect a refund in up to two years (!).

Now the questions I have are the following:
  1. What are the real deadlines here?
  2. How about next year? What deadline should I keep in mind? Will I receive paper forms? Will I do it online?
  3. Is there any way to get a faster tax return?

Thanks a lot, and apologies for the long message!
There are a lot threads in this section of the forum dealing with how to do your tax returns if you search for and read them Zürich Canton - Tax Guide in English

Your current deadline is pretty obvious from their message with even the most tenuous grasp of German and Google translate:

"Reichen Sie die Formulare bis 30.09.2016 ein"

You have 1.5 months to sort it out, which is easy using a tax advisor for 100 or so francs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.08.2016, 23:30
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 118
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 35 Posts
RoastedRhino is considered knowledgeableRoastedRhino is considered knowledgeableRoastedRhino is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tax deadline (Zürich, >120.000 CHF)

Well sure, as I said in the opening post, I got it sorted out for this year, through a tax accountant.

And sure enough i understood from the email I received that the deadline is end of September.

However, I read many of the posts you suggested and I never saw any deadline other than 31 March, even in the official document of Canton Zürich.
https://www.steueramt.zh.ch/internet...lisch+2015.pdf

That is why I asked. Because I have questions for which I couldn't find an answer (in particular the deadline for next year, together with the other questions I listed).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.08.2016, 23:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,588
Groaned at 304 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 19,668 Times in 6,856 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax deadline (Zürich, >120.000 CHF)

taxes over 2014 have a deadline of 31st March 2015 in Canton Zürich-
taxes over 2015 have a deadline of 31st March 2016
etc

you can ask for extension of the deadline
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16.08.2016, 00:12
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 118
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 35 Posts
RoastedRhino is considered knowledgeableRoastedRhino is considered knowledgeableRoastedRhino is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tax deadline (Zürich, >120.000 CHF)

Quote:
View Post
taxes over 2014 have a deadline of 31st March 2015 in Canton Zürich-
taxes over 2015 have a deadline of 31st March 2016
etc

you can ask for extension of the deadline
This seems to conflict with what I have been told by the tax office of the city of Zurich, at least for the first year after arriving in town.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.08.2016, 04:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 2,304
Groaned at 87 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,123 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax deadline (Zürich, >120.000 CHF)

Quote:
View Post
This seems to conflict with what I have been told by the tax office of the city of Zurich, at least for the first year after arriving in town.
You probably misunderstood them then.

31.03. is the normal deadline, and it can be always extended to 30.09. and 30.11. You just need to request that before current deadline, no justification needs to be given. Can be done online if you have the login numbers. https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/fd/de/i...31_maerz1.html

I usually receive the forms end of January or so, by post.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.08.2016, 07:17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 118
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 72 Times in 35 Posts
RoastedRhino is considered knowledgeableRoastedRhino is considered knowledgeableRoastedRhino is considered knowledgeable
Re: Tax deadline (Zürich, >120.000 CHF)

What is there to misunderstand? What I posted above is their verbatim email.

In December 2015 the cantonal office told me that I would receive the forms with the codes by mid 2016 (therefore too late for the March deadline). Then, in August, the city tax office told me that my deadline is September 30, and that I was not supposed to receive any form. I didn't ask any extension.

I cannot think that I am the only one in this quite standard situation.
When you say that you usually received them by January, do you remember if that also happened the first year you arrived here?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.08.2016, 07:41
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 2,304
Groaned at 87 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,123 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax deadline (Zürich, >120.000 CHF)

I don't really see anything contradictory except they merely didn't keep the promise to send the form in mid 2016. Whatever they communicated personally to you takes precedence. In the last email they gave you the deadline of 30.09.2016, that's your current deadline. You can extend it still till 30.11.2016 if you still need.

January next year, once you're in their system, you should hopefully automatically receive the paper form like everybody else. There is a field on it with the official deadline, which normally would be 31.03. Sometimes they send the form already pre-extended - in my first year I requested the form and got it with 30.09 deadline. First year is special because the information about whether you earn >120k or not, and consequently whether you have to file the form, doesn't automatically reach them immediately.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ivank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 17.08.2016, 22:50
FriendlyKiwi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Shoppinzentrum
Posts: 1,782
Groaned at 19 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 914 Times in 551 Posts
FriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFriendlyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax deadline (Zürich, >120.000 CHF)

From personal experience:
  1. Official deadline is 31 March.
  2. You can extend it on line to end September.
  3. If after end of your extension you do nothing they send you a letter (normal post) asking for the return to be lodged in 20 days. You get the letter in November sometime, assuming you extended to end September.
  4. If you still do nothing they send you a registered letter (which you have to sign to receive) asking for the return to be lodged in next 10 days. You get the letter in December sometime, assuming you extended to end September.
  5. If you still do nothing, they assess for you, and you may be in for a nasty surprise (I never got this far)
__________________
Warning: may contain traces of nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10.03.2020, 15:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Bern
Posts: 28
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 22 Times in 8 Posts
trailingspousebern has no particular reputation at present
Re: Tax deadline (Zürich, >120.000 CHF)

Quote:
View Post
You have 1.5 months to sort it out, which is easy using a tax advisor for 100 or so francs.
Any idea where can I get a tax adviser for 100 CHF in Zurich ?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<120,000 CHF - Is it worth doing a tax return? J2488 Finance/banking/taxation 11 25.01.2014 21:17
4 x 120 CHF tax for taking good care dogs :/ whome Complaints corner 33 09.09.2013 16:12
Is 120,000 CHF enough to live in Angola? quark International affairs/politics 20 17.07.2012 09:01
U.S. Tax Question-Salary $7,000 CHF crfesi Finance/banking/taxation 6 04.04.2011 01:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0