Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10.09.2016, 19:55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gorlami has no particular reputation at present
Freelancing in Switzerland

Hi,

I work at a company 80% and I'm thinking of freelancing the remaining 20% to other companies.

How do I go about communicating to local authorities that I am a freelancer?

Since I hold a B permit, my income is taxed at source at my job. How would my freelance income be taxed?

What other taxes should I be aware of?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10.09.2016, 20:03
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,161
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,830 Times in 8,812 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Freelancing in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I work at a company 80% and I'm thinking of freelancing the remaining 20% to other companies.

How do I go about communicating to local authorities that I am a freelancer?

Since I hold a B permit, my income is taxed at source at my job. How would my freelance income be taxed?

What other taxes should I be aware of?

Thanks in advance
Legally
Fill out a form at the AHV/AVS & pay additional AHV/AVS premiums.
Fill in a tax return.

On the sly
Do the work & say nothing.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 10.09.2016, 20:37
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 4,840
Groaned at 117 Times in 82 Posts
Thanked 8,181 Times in 3,071 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Freelancing in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Legally
Fill out a form at the AHV/AVS & pay additional AHV/AVS premiums.
Fill in a tax return.

On the sly
Do the work & say nothing
.
Agree with that, once you are in the system, you will be screwed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 10.09.2016, 20:56
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,161
Groaned at 290 Times in 239 Posts
Thanked 15,830 Times in 8,812 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Freelancing in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Agree with that, once you are in the system, you will be screwed.
Unless you have spoken to the AVH the tax office won't accept any freelance earnings added to my tax return as I discovered.

The Swiss accountant of the company I was working for said I was a fool for saying anything!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11.09.2016, 00:46
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,426
Groaned at 315 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 9,898 Times in 3,479 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Freelancing in Switzerland

Odd this has not been asked before...

http://www.englishforum.ch/search2.php?q=Freelancing
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 11.09.2016, 19:24
Aleydis's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 979
Groaned at 32 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 737 Times in 395 Posts
Aleydis has an excellent reputationAleydis has an excellent reputationAleydis has an excellent reputationAleydis has an excellent reputation
Re: Freelancing in Switzerland

Before dealing with all of the above, I would find out if you are allowed to work in any other occupation according to the company's internal regulations. And yes, freelancing counts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.09.2016, 17:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Amriswil, Thurgau
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
sttevann has no particular reputation at present
Re: Freelancing in Switzerland

Hey guys.
I searched the forum(and the internet), but couldn't find the answer that could make me happy

So, this is the situation:
My wife has a full time job(100%), as well as myself(100%). We both would like to add some more work on our free time, as a freelancers.

Which is the best way to do this?

We are not planing on working more than couple hours per day, so there is not going to be that much money involved.

I know, someone will say that the best solution is to find clients, do the work, and get money on hands, but I wouldn't like to have some problems with the tax authority later.

Is there a way to just report the money that we earn(which came on our accounts) as additional earnings later on when we fill our tax report?
Or do we need to found a sole ownership for that?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
freelance, taxes




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freelancing whilst studying in CH - Einzelfirma? rosiero Employment 0 17.06.2015 23:48
Freelancing in Swiss mugdhadeo Business & entrepreneur 1 07.01.2014 14:54
Guide to freelancing in Switzerland Phos Business & entrepreneur 3 15.04.2013 13:01
temporary freelancing in Switzerland, tax residency in EU - what are the obligations? Tomas2007 Finance/banking/taxation 14 29.06.2011 11:43
Freelancing in Basel SSDKSSDK Business & entrepreneur 0 15.01.2010 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0