Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07.11.2016, 01:03
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: -
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nonono has no particular reputation at present
Private tutor - taxes

I'm a foreign student who has recently come to study in Zurich and would like to earn some extra money as a private tutor.

What interests me is whether I need to pay any taxes for the profit I would be making (about 400 francs per month I predict). In my country one does not need to pay taxes for income less than some amount of money (not sure how much). Is there anything like this here?

Reply With Quote
Old 07.11.2016, 09:29
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 14,621
Groaned at 183 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 10,557 Times in 6,014 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Private tutor - taxes

As a non-EU national studying here you cannot be self employed nor can you work for the first 6 months of your course. You need an employment contract with a Swiss employer and you cannot work more than 15 hours a week during term time.

I don't know where you're studying, but this is from the ETHZ website:

Gainful employment

Main content

During the semester, you may accept a paid part-time job of no more than 15 hours a week. Full-time employment is permitted during the regular semester vacations. However, in both cases your employer will have to apply for your work permit at the cantonal Office for Economy and Labour ("Amt für Wirtschaft und Arbeit" – AWA) if you come from a non-EU country or from Romania or Bulgaria. This is only possible once you have received your residence permit!


Bachelor students from non-EU countries must have lived in Switzerland for at least 6 months to obtain a work permit.

During their first 6 months in Switzerland, Master students from non-EU countries can only obtain a work permit for a job at their ETH department.

Further information can be found at: www.arbeitsbewilligungen.zh.ch.
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Private French tutor Agra Language corner 0 08.05.2014 00:36
Children`s Private Tutor Alison_K Commercial 1 17.03.2014 23:41
tax for private tutor? thomas houghton Business & entrepreneur 0 13.03.2013 14:24
Private Italian Tutor shishilii Daily life 2 17.08.2007 21:59

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0