Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.02.2017, 18:35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 28 Posts
RoastedRhino has earned some respectRoastedRhino has earned some respect
Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

I just looked at the online tax forms (Canton of Zurich) and they allow to list all the funds you own in a long table, entering the "valor", the date of purchase, the date of sale, the taxable income, and whether or not tax has been withheld on that income. Quite convenient, it seems.

However, from the banks where I own funds, I received some aggregate information regarding the entire year, the total taxable income, and the taxes that have been withheld.

Do I have to enter all transactions in this table? Can't I just lump them together, as I know exactly the total income for all the funds at the same bank?

I hope the question is not silly and I didn't miss any specific instruction in the forms regarding this.

Thanks
RR
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.02.2017, 19:01
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 2,304
Groaned at 87 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,123 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

You are normally supposed to declare all individual securities

But I've seen a couple of tax returns from a friend getting accepted no questions asked with just a single line per bank containing how much the stocks in it were worth in total and how much dividend income was received. It was small amounts though and negligible amount of withheld dividends to claim back. I presume if it was big money or he wanted to claim back the dividends, the tax office would ask for more details later.

Making an accidental (or even not) mistake in the tax return is not a big deal in Switzerland. If discovered, you'll owe the difference in taxes with jnterest, and maybe some mild fine proportional to the difference depending on severity and your cooperation
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21.03.2017, 13:23
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 28 Posts
RoastedRhino has earned some respectRoastedRhino has earned some respect
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Thanks a lot, it makes a lot of sense, and I am sure I could do like you're suggesting.

However, I just filled my tax forms via the Online ZH Private Tax system, and it says that they recommend people to enter individual securities, if possible. The form is quite well done, you can enter securities via their "Valoren/ISIN", and enter the date of buy/sell operations. No need to enter dividends/dividend date, everything gets imported automatically.

It didn't take too long, especially as I didn't have to print the resulting long table.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.03.2017, 13:39
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 128
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 51 Posts
jjake has no particular reputation at present
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

From one of my trading accounts, the bank gives me a tax summary which on the first page provides the value as of 31.12., all income (in the 3 different categories - with withholding tax, without and for claim of foreign tax paid) as well as fees/costs; next pages list all positions and transactions.
With that, I only enter the summary data as an investment account in the tax form.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21.03.2017, 13:56
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,822
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,410 Times in 5,581 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
From one of my trading accounts, the bank gives me a tax summary which on the first page provides the value as of 31.12., all income (in the 3 different categories - with withholding tax, without and for claim of foreign tax paid) as well as fees/costs; next pages list all positions and transactions.
With that, I only enter the summary data as an investment account in the tax form.
Maybe itīs different in Basel. In ZRH they ideally want to see every transaction during the year by date. I got one return back with the request to complete the data by transaction and not in one sum.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.03.2017, 14:01
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 128
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 51 Posts
jjake has no particular reputation at present
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Maybe itīs different in Basel. In ZRH they ideally want to see every transaction during the year by date. I got one return back with the request to complete the data by transaction and not in one sum.
Maybe. Or maybe depends on the format / type of the statement from the bank. The one I had no problem using was called "Steuerbescheinigung Fondskonto" and it specifically states that is acceptable for tax authorities for filing of individual taxes (does not work for companies for example)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21.03.2017, 14:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 28 Posts
RoastedRhino has earned some respectRoastedRhino has earned some respect
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Maybe itīs different in Basel. In ZRH they ideally want to see every transaction during the year by date. I got one return back with the request to complete the data by transaction and not in one sum.
Yes, that is the impression I got from the instruction of the online tax software. I guess I did the right thing, then.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RoastedRhino for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 21.03.2017, 14:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
hof86 has earned some respecthof86 has earned some respect
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Hi guys,

I have a periodic subscription so every month I buy a small amount of several funds...does it mean that in the tax return I need to fill in every transaction (12 months x 4 funds), or can I state the total value as per the ICtax webpage (https://www.ictax.admin.ch/extern/en.html#/search)?

I also live in ZH and I was wondering how to do it.
Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21.03.2017, 14:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 2,304
Groaned at 87 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,123 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

The tax office cares about the totals, and that they are computed correctly - they want transactions mostly to double check your math. Declare totals and attach your brokerage statements with transactions and it should be just fine
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21.03.2017, 15:10
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,822
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,410 Times in 5,581 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Hi guys,

I have a periodic subscription so every month I buy a small amount of several funds...does it mean that in the tax return I need to fill in every transaction (12 months x 4 funds), or can I state the total value as per the ICtax webpage (https://www.ictax.admin.ch/extern/en.html#/search)?

I also live in ZH and I was wondering how to do it.
Thanks a lot


My experience is that they require exactly that (I do the same), listing the transactions per item per date bought (and just showing totals over the year and adding the overview from your bank was not accepted)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21.03.2017, 15:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 90
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 52 Times in 28 Posts
RoastedRhino has earned some respectRoastedRhino has earned some respect
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Hi guys,

I have a periodic subscription so every month I buy a small amount of several funds...does it mean that in the tax return I need to fill in every transaction (12 months x 4 funds), or can I state the total value as per the ICtax webpage (https://www.ictax.admin.ch/extern/en.html#/search)?

I also live in ZH and I was wondering how to do it.
Thanks a lot
Same situation, that why I was asking. As I said, the online Tax software allows to do it relatively fast. You enter each one of these four funds, and for each one, you list the buy/sell operations. The table will be filled in a quite compact form, very similar to the one you receive from your bank, and you can double check the calculation (up to rounding).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21.03.2017, 15:44
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,722
Groaned at 315 Times in 254 Posts
Thanked 16,873 Times in 9,271 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
The tax office cares about the totals, and that they are computed correctly - they want transactions mostly to double check your math. Declare totals and attach your brokerage statements with transactions and it should be just fine
I only ever provided valuation pages for 31 December, never details of transactions.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21.03.2017, 16:04
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,822
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,410 Times in 5,581 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
I only ever provided valuation pages for 31 December, never details of transactions.
Lucky you!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20.02.2018, 12:21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
hof86 has earned some respecthof86 has earned some respect
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Hi EFers!

I'm preparing my tax return and I cannot find one of my funds in the ICtax page (https://www.ictax.admin.ch/extern/en.html#/ratelist) nor in the ZH Private Tax software. It's owned by a Spanish asset management company, but I tried with the ISIN (ES0119184002) and is not showing up...Any ideas on how to go about this?

I have checked with other funds, e.g. Postfinance, and the NAV at year end is different from the taxable value...Would you know how it is calculated?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20.02.2018, 12:47
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,822
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,410 Times in 5,581 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Hi EFers!

I'm preparing my tax return and I cannot find one of my funds in the ICtax page (https://www.ictax.admin.ch/extern/en.html#/ratelist) nor in the ZH Private Tax software. It's owned by a Spanish asset management company, but I tried with the ISIN (ES0119184002) and is not showing up...Any ideas on how to go about this?
I add the numbers to the tax income return as they are and send a copy of the bank statement on those funds with my return (have also several that are not recognized)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 20.02.2018, 14:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
hof86 has earned some respecthof86 has earned some respect
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
I add the numbers to the tax income return as they are and send a copy of the bank statement on those funds with my return (have also several that are not recognized)
Thanks roegner, sounds reasonable I assume you that you declare the value as of Dec 31 as tax value (Steuerwert). Even though the latter is a usually a bit lower, I guess it doesn't make a big difference unless you're talking about big amounts
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20.02.2018, 14:48
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,822
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,410 Times in 5,581 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting funds on Swiss tax forms (Zurich)

Quote:
View Post
Thanks roegner, sounds reasonable I assume you that you declare the value as of Dec 31 as tax value (Steuerwert). Even though the latter is a usually a bit lower, I guess it doesn't make a big difference unless you're talking about big amounts
Value per 31.12, as from the statement I get from my bank for that date. If any currency other CHF, I convert the number into CHF with the rate given by the tax authority.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Self-reporting for Swiss tax filing - any advice? US Alien Finance/banking/taxation 18 05.01.2019 13:52
Offshore Pension Funds included in Wealth Tax for Swiss Tax Purposes? Basel Gooner Finance/banking/taxation 2 29.03.2012 17:02
Bonds/Investment funds on your tax return Guest Finance/banking/taxation 7 24.05.2011 13:59
FBAR reporting on swiss life insurance g3kamdbs Finance/banking/taxation 7 11.10.2009 17:56
Tax forms, reclaiming tax at source Ashish Finance/banking/taxation 61 26.03.2008 14:15


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0