Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.03.2017, 21:30
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: basel
Posts: 48
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 11 Posts
radams has no particular reputation at present
Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

My wife and I need to get a more permanent apartment and I've been looking around in Basel-Stadt since that's where she works. Her work associates have all recommended moving out into Basel-Land for lower taxes. I've also seen this recommendation here in these forums when I searched for this comparison.

However, when I use the tax calculators (mostly found in the aforementioned searches) http://neuvoo.ch/tax-calculator/Basel-Stadt,Basel-96000 and http://www.estv2.admin.ch/e/dienstle...uerrechner.htm they show rather nominal difference in tax rates, if not favoring Basel-Stadt.

What am I missing? Am I using bad calculators?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.03.2017, 13:00
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Kirov13 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Hello,

The amount of Swiss tax depends on a number of factors. First is the level of your income. At lower levels of income, there may be little to no difference in the amount of tax that will be due. Secondly, the amount of tax in Basel Landschaft will also depend on the commune in which you live. Assuming CHF 100,000 of taxable income (not gross), the difference between the highest and lowest taxed communes is about CHF 1,900 in taxes for Hemmiken and Bottmingen respectively.

You are better off using the second calculator in your post as it is from the Swiss tax authorities and is as accurate as the assumptions you enter into it.

Other non tax factors to consider are:
1. Rent prices
2. Commute time
3. Local services (some localities have you pay for certain services which may otherwise be covered by taxes in other cantons... a few examples: libraries, garbage disposal, language lessons (BS gives vouchers for residents after certain period), cost of childcare may or may not be subsidized)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06.03.2017, 13:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Kirov13 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

And one more, check how your insurance rates would change, if any...

Comparis.ch provides general comparisons for taxes and insurance.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kirov13 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 06.03.2017, 16:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: basel
Posts: 48
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 11 Posts
radams has no particular reputation at present
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Thank you for the reply!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.03.2017, 16:43
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,254
Groaned at 93 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,710 Times in 8,297 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Quote:
View Post
My wife and I need to get a more permanent apartment and I've been looking around in Basel-Stadt since that's where she works. Her work associates have all recommended moving out into Basel-Land for lower taxes. I've also seen this recommendation here in these forums when I searched for this comparison.

What am I missing? Am I using bad calculators?
Normally Switzerland is stable regarding finances and taxes. For a long time it was that Basel-Land did financially good and Basel-Stadt was struggling with its finances. This has change in the last few years.

Basel-Stadt:
http://www.bs.ch/news/2016-09-01-mm-67025.html

Basel-Land:
http://bazonline.ch/basel/land/der-e...story/28945332
http://www.basellandschaftlichezeitu...nken-130794443


Here a nice table which compares the tax for different situation and different communes in BL, BS, AG, and SO
http://www.bs.ch/publikationen/steue...-bl-ag-so.html
__________________
"Okay, I just hope we don't wake up on Mars or something surrounded by millions of little squashy guys."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.11.2017, 12:31
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,939
Groaned at 272 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 17,086 Times in 7,239 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Quote:
View Post
Normally Switzerland is stable regarding finances and taxes. For a long time it was that Basel-Land did financially good and Basel-Stadt was struggling with its finances. This has change in the last few years.

Basel-Stadt:
http://www.bs.ch/news/2016-09-01-mm-67025.html

Basel-Land:
http://bazonline.ch/basel/land/der-e...story/28945332
http://www.basellandschaftlichezeitu...nken-130794443


Here a nice table which compares the tax for different situation and different communes in BL, BS, AG, and SO
http://www.bs.ch/publikationen/steue...-bl-ag-so.html
What does 'Konkubinatspaar' mean? Is this an unmarried couple? If so, when do you treat an unmarried couple living together as a 'Konkubinatspaar' versus as separate individuals?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 24.11.2017, 12:46
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,254
Groaned at 93 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,710 Times in 8,297 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Quote:
View Post
What does 'Konkubinatspaar' mean? Is this an unmarried couple? If so, when do you treat an unmarried couple living together as a 'Konkubinatspaar' versus as separate individuals?
Unmarried couple is correct. There is no special tax rate for those and each partner is treated individually, on the other hand a married couple is treated as one entity.

As you can see the tax rates for any income split for a married couple stays the same. On the other hand the tax rates for the 100:0 split of the concubine couple is the very same as for a single individual. For the 50:50 split it should be twice the tax for half the income of a single person. (When there are no kids, with kids its a bit different as only one partner can get the tax benefit)

The difference between the tax a married couple has to pay vs. a concubine couple is is known as the "Heiratsstrafe"/"marriage penalty" (if the married couple has to pay more)
__________________
"Okay, I just hope we don't wake up on Mars or something surrounded by millions of little squashy guys."
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 24.11.2017, 14:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,032
Groaned at 348 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 10,388 Times in 5,490 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Quote:
View Post
What does 'Konkubinatspaar' mean? Is this an unmarried couple? If so, when do you treat an unmarried couple living together as a 'Konkubinatspaar' versus as separate individuals?
The answer is in the question. Konkubinat requires living together.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.11.2017, 14:57
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,939
Groaned at 272 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 17,086 Times in 7,239 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Quote:
View Post
The difference between the tax a married couple has to pay vs. a concubine couple is is known as the "Heiratsstrafe"/"marriage penalty" (if the married couple has to pay more)
Some have quite a hefty penalty!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.11.2017, 16:00
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,254
Groaned at 93 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,710 Times in 8,297 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Quote:
View Post
Some have quite a hefty penalty!
Perks for being married: Massively lowered inheritance tax, no need for a will, right to participate in the estate, no need for both couples to sign the rental contract, no need to indiscriminate the other in case of a criminal investigation, participation in pillar 2 in case of a divorce (o.k. that might be a draw back), no need for a lengthy process and paperwork in case a child is born, widow pension.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24.11.2017, 16:08
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,939
Groaned at 272 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 17,086 Times in 7,239 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Quote:
View Post
Perks for being married: Massively lowered inheritance tax, no need for a will, right to participate in the estate, no need for both couples to sign the rental contract, no need to indiscriminate the other in case of a criminal investigation, participation in pillar 2 in case of a divorce (o.k. that might be a draw back), no need for a lengthy process and paperwork in case a child is born, widow pension.
What if you get married but under split assets arrangements? Do you get the best of both worlds?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24.11.2017, 16:20
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,254
Groaned at 93 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,710 Times in 8,297 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Quote:
View Post
What if you get married but under split assets arrangements? Do you get the best of both worlds?
Nope. Married is married, until you file for separation tax does not depend on your property regimen.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 24.11.2017, 17:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 8,032
Groaned at 348 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 10,388 Times in 5,490 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Quote:
View Post
Some have quite a hefty penalty!
Various deductions make sure they're relatively few these days.

According to the material distributed by CVP (political party) for their federal Initiative a couple years ago about 80'000 couples are affected, those with more than 80k taxable income without and 120k with kids.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.11.2017, 17:50
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,939
Groaned at 272 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 17,086 Times in 7,239 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trying to compare taxes in Basel-Stadt vs Basel-Land

Quote:
View Post
Various deductions make sure they're relatively few these days.

According to the material distributed by CVP (political party) for their federal Initiative a couple years ago about 80'000 couples are affected, those with more than 80k taxable income without and 120k with kids.
so basically everyone on EF
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relocation advice request: Basel-Land to Basel-Stadt HomoSapiens Daily life 20 14.08.2016 23:59
Basel Stadt vs Basel Land 2012 swisswatch Finance/banking/taxation 6 02.02.2012 21:30
Basel land versus Basel stadt kindergartens? forum3 Family matters/health 2 03.07.2010 11:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0