Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.05.2017, 23:09
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Posts: 169
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
plm987sdf has made some interesting contributions
New house construction costs estimates?

I'm planning to build a new house here in Schaffhausen. I've already got the land and such details worked out. The sticking point seems to be what the bank estimates it would cost to build something and what the developer thinks it will cost. I think the bank is way too low in their estimates. They say they estimate with a 750 chf to 850 chf per cubic meter price. The builder (who I agree with) says the cost is more like 1k per chf cubic meter.

Anyone have any thoughts or estimates from other banks on a similar topic?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.05.2017, 08:49
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,690
Groaned at 281 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Quote:
View Post
I'm planning to build a new house here in Schaffhausen. I've already got the land and such details worked out. The sticking point seems to be what the bank estimates it would cost to build something and what the developer thinks it will cost. I think the bank is way too low in their estimates. They say they estimate with a 750 chf to 850 chf per cubic meter price. The builder (who I agree with) says the cost is more like 1k per chf cubic meter.

Anyone have any thoughts or estimates from other banks on a similar topic?
Search the forum - building costs have already been put up here numerous times.

750-1000chf per m3 isn't unreasonable - it depends entirely on the finish you require.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 17.05.2017, 09:27
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,104
Groaned at 2,023 Times in 1,521 Posts
Thanked 34,652 Times in 16,458 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Our insurance agent used 800/m3 to calculate the rebuild costs of a rustico we bought recently.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.05.2017, 09:44
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Posts: 169
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
plm987sdf has made some interesting contributions
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Quote:
View Post
Search the forum - building costs have already been put up here numerous times.

750-1000chf per m3 isn't unreasonable - it depends entirely on the finish you require.
Ok, i'll look them up. However, I really was more interested in what the banks thought the buildings costs were for estimates. But someone just wrote the insurance company thought it would be 800 per cubic meter. Tks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17.05.2017, 10:15
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,690
Groaned at 281 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

1000chf per m3 would suggest an uplift of 25% on 2011 values.

If you are building a single family home, to high standard, in a good area which is 180m2+ then 1000chf is a reasonable figure.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.05.2017, 10:17
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Posts: 169
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
plm987sdf has made some interesting contributions
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Quote:
View Post
1000chf per m3 would suggest an uplift of 25% on 2011 values.

If you are building a single family home, to high standard, in a good area which is 180m2+ then 1000chf is a reasonable figure.
Much appreciated. I find it weird why SHKB bank is working with a figure of 850chf as max. I might consider looking at another bank, since this would mean building to a low finish, which is not what we are aiming for..

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17.05.2017, 10:22
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,359
Groaned at 348 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 12,325 Times in 5,943 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Quote:
View Post
Much appreciated. I find it weird why SHKB bank is working with a figure of 850chf as max.
Probably because they donīt want to lend you more than that?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.05.2017, 10:26
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 10,690
Groaned at 281 Times in 232 Posts
Thanked 19,403 Times in 7,402 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Quote:
View Post
Probably because they donīt want to lend you more than that?
They're probably thinking - Land value (LV) + cost to build (C2B) << value of house (HV)

Difference between LV+C2B and HV should be made up with by cash.

For example:
LV = 500k
C2B = 1500k
HV = 1500k

Mortgage will be 1500k * 80% = 1200k
Cash/deposit will be 500k + 1500k - 1200k = 800k
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.05.2017, 10:26
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Posts: 169
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
plm987sdf has made some interesting contributions
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Quote:
View Post
Probably because they donīt want to lend you more than that?
Nah, they are willing to loan me more based on my wage, etc. The issue is they use this number as their figure to estimate the cost. If you wanted gold door handles they would not finance that for example, you'd have to pay that out of your pocket. Its what the bank thinks they can get for the house in the area which it is in vs how much it really costs..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17.05.2017, 10:29
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Posts: 169
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
plm987sdf has made some interesting contributions
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Quote:
View Post
They're probably thinking - Land value (LV) + cost to build (C2B) << value of house (HV)

Difference between LV+C2B and HV should be made up with by cash.

For example:
LV = 500k
C2B = 1500k
HV = 1500k

Mortgage will be 1500k * 80% = 1200k
Cash/deposit will be 500k + 1500k - 1200k = 800k
Yup, this is about right. Neither the property is expensive in my opinion based on the market or the house building costs. Just across the street, they are building similar for 300k to 400k more then it will cost me. But that's in a *complex* of houses, so I guess the banks cool with that. Which is a bit unfair frankly.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17.05.2017, 10:38
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 9,250
Groaned at 121 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 16,857 Times in 5,912 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Interesting. When we built our place - part of a development - none of the banks we approached questioned the value of the property; they just wanted to know the cubic volume, the list price, and how much we wanted to borrow. Maybe the evaluation was within their criteria, so it wasn't an issue.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 17.05.2017, 10:56
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Schaffhausen, Switzerland
Posts: 169
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
plm987sdf has made some interesting contributions
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Quote:
View Post
Interesting. When we built our place - part of a development - none of the banks we approached questioned the value of the property; they just wanted to know the cubic volume, the list price, and how much we wanted to borrow. Maybe the evaluation was within their criteria, so it wasn't an issue.
Yup, I can only imagine that the people building the complex, have one of these guys to crunch the numbers which would be acceptable for banks.

I got off the phone with the bank just now, and they said the new numbers are acceptable to them. We had to change the roof to a gable shape, which increased *air* and thus cubic meters, so it's more favourable now. That's some great logic for you..!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17.05.2017, 11:09
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,994
Groaned at 385 Times in 295 Posts
Thanked 18,806 Times in 10,133 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New house construction costs estimates?

Quote:
View Post
Yup, I can only imagine that the people building the complex, have one of these guys to crunch the numbers which would be acceptable for banks.
They work backwards, they know the selling price, they want 30% gross profit. The question is can they buy the land & build for 70% of estimated sales cost = go ahead & build.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
House rent reduction due to construction works noise? mojo1k Housing in general 4 28.08.2014 20:55
tax question for someone buying a house still under construction bonbonisho Housing in general 4 19.03.2014 09:49
Mortgage for house under construction 2states Housing in general 11 30.01.2014 17:43
Estimates versus real costs, what is our protection? kri Other/general 27 02.10.2008 21:14


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0