Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.10.2017, 15:05
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gypsylife has no particular reputation at present
Choosing a bank

Hi there,

I'm looking at opening a swiss bank account (as a non-EU citizen) to leave some money for a "rainy day". Not talking about a huge amount, under 10k CHF. The money is not going to be used (so no frequent withdrawals or deposits) and I'm not hugely concerned with interest (although it would be nice to make something out of it lying there). The most important part is low/free account maintenance. I don't mind paying an opening fee, but I won't be needing statements, credit cards, or any sort of doing ANYTHING with it, so not having to keep depositing money regularly and no monthly charges is a must.
Just leave and forget. Access the money only if something has gone terribly wrong.

Does such a thing exist?

Appreciate any help
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28.10.2017, 15:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,027
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 26,079 Times in 8,056 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Choosing a bank

Since it's not clear from your post or profile, are you:

A. Currently resident in Switzerland?

B. Not a 'US Person'?


Answers to your question might vary depending on the above.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28.10.2017, 15:18
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,310
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,344 Times in 9,732 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Choosing a bank

Agreed, if not resident here it would probably be impossible to leave such a small sum here, the same goes if you're a US citizen and not resident.

If a resident then PostFinance is your best bet since amounts over 7,500 mean no account charges for their basic account. If a resident and an Amercian you'd need to sign a W-9 form to allow the bank to send the account details on to the IRS and the account would also have to be reported on an FBAR form probably if the exchange rate makes CHF10,000 = $10,000 or more at any time of the year.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28.10.2017, 15:31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gypsylife has no particular reputation at present
Re: Choosing a bank

Quote:
View Post
Since it's not clear from your post or profile, are you:

A. Currently resident in Switzerland?

B. Not a 'US Person'?


Answers to your question might vary depending on the above.
Sorry.

A. No, not residing in Switzerland.

B. Not american either.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28.10.2017, 15:33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gypsylife has no particular reputation at present
Re: Choosing a bank

Quote:
View Post
Agreed, if not resident here it would probably be impossible to leave such a small sum here, the same goes if you're a US citizen and not resident.

If a resident then PostFinance is your best bet since amounts over 7,500 mean no account charges for their basic account. If a resident and an Amercian you'd need to sign a W-9 form to allow the bank to send the account details on to the IRS and the account would also have to be reported on an FBAR form probably if the exchange rate makes CHF10,000 = $10,000 or more at any time of the year.
Completely impossible?
Not a single bank would allow me to just drop my hard earned money there?

I don't know much about the Swiss banking system except it's discreet (which is what I'm looking for...) but google search made me believe it's pretty open to foreigners leaving their money in their banks...

Appreciate any loopholes you might think of...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28.10.2017, 15:38
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Choosing a bank

Quote:
View Post
Completely impossible?
Not a single bank would allow me to just drop my hard earned money there?

I don't know much about the Swiss banking system except it's discreet (which is what I'm looking for...) but google search made me believe it's pretty open to foreigners leaving their money in their banks...

Appreciate any loopholes you might think of...
The reputation for secrecy and discretion for foreign-based account holders normally applies to those HNWIs with deposits in 6 or 7 figures, though.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 28.10.2017, 15:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 11,027
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 26,079 Times in 8,056 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Choosing a bank

In case you haven't been following Swiss banking news, cross border banking secrecy is pretty much a thing of the past.* Switzerland has signed automatic exchange of information treaties with a number of countries. See here, including a chart listing the participating countries:

https://www.efd.admin.ch/efd/en/home...on--aeoi-.html


ETA:

As a non-resident (and not a US Person) you can still open an account with many Swiss banks, assuming you can provide whatever information is needed to satisfy their KYC requirements or any other criteria requested. However, don't expect today the kind of 'discretion' that made Swiss banks (in)famous. Also, be aware that a small amount of money might not be very interesting (read: profitable) for some banks, so you might encounter a few cold shoulders as you search for a suitable bank.



*The usual comments about gazillionaires...

Last edited by meloncollie; 28.10.2017 at 16:01.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28.10.2017, 15:52
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,310
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,344 Times in 9,732 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Choosing a bank

Maybe depending on your nationality, but they will charge monthly fees for the privilege which isn't what you're looking for. PostFinance will charge CHF25 a month to non-domiciled account holders. Other banks will charge more.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 28.10.2017, 15:56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gypsylife has no particular reputation at present
Re: Choosing a bank

Quote:
View Post
In case you haven't been following Swiss banking news, cross border banking secrecy is pretty much a thing of the past.* Switzerland has signed automatic exchange of information treaties with a number of countries. See here, including a chart listing the participating countries:

https://www.efd.admin.ch/efd/en/home...on--aeoi-.html





*The usual comments about gazillionaires...

Doesn't that usually apply to government agencies and police?
I'm not looking to hide my money from the government, I worked hard for it, saved it, paid my taxes and have the papers to prove it.

It's more of a "If I get divorced...I don't wanna have NOTHING." kind of scenario.

Not a gazillioner. Just someone who doesn't trust anybody and wants to make sure I have something to pull me up if I need to.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28.10.2017, 15:59
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Choosing a bank

Quote:
View Post
Doesn't that usually apply to government agencies and police?
I'm not looking to hide my money from the government, I worked hard for it, saved it, paid my taxes and have the papers to prove it.

It's more of a "If I get divorced...I don't wanna have NOTHING." kind of scenario.

Not a gazillioner. Just someone who doesn't trust anybody and wants to make sure I have something to pull me up if I need to.
Everything exchanged to tax authorities as standard, regardless of account balance & zero exceptions.

I believe that failing to declare assets in a divorce is against the law in CH, so I doubt they will want to help someone with potential criminal intent.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 30.10.2017, 19:01
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 2,304
Groaned at 87 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 2,002 Times in 1,123 Posts
ivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond reputeivank has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Choosing a bank

Quote:
View Post
non-EU citizen ... Not talking about a huge amount under 10k CHF ...low/free account maintenance ... Does such a thing exist?
No. Expect to shell out at least a hundred or two a year for the privilege of having a non-resident account here. If any bank would even take you - a 10k balance would impress noone, It's below poverty level - you can hardly rent an apartment with that

Quote:
It's more of a "If I get divorced...I don't wanna have NOTHING." kind of scenario.
Banks pretty much everywhere would cooperate in a divorce case

Better buy some bitcoin
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice on best bank to bank with from Canada/UK LAP5150 Finance/banking/taxation 2 16.07.2016 10:30
Swiss private bank vs Global Bank (developer) mario.gomez Employment 3 21.08.2014 21:37
In which bank to open a bank account? MariV Finance/banking/taxation 11 16.10.2012 12:11
sending money through bank, without bank account? vribium Finance/banking/taxation 3 15.05.2012 13:49
Bank Bank Piguet SA-Good at managing a pension fund? Chester Finance/banking/taxation 3 02.04.2011 21:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0