English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Finance/banking/taxation (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/)
-   -   Mwst and admin fee on parcels. (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/276977-mwst-admin-fee-parcels.html)

st2lemans 06.02.2018 10:00

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 2907385)
Since when? That is official policy?

A year or more, BUT it's optional for the seller to offer this service, i.e. it exists alongside the normal service.

Tom

Belgianmum 06.02.2018 10:02

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2873928)
It used to be like that, but now they have all-included shipping, and that works just fine.

Tom

Only from certain sellers and even then they still try it on.

They are the absolute pits and I try to avoid buying from places who only offer shipping via DHL wherever possible.

Alice K 27.06.2019 14:51

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
I'd like to ask a similar question. I received a gift delivered by DHL :mad:
The guy delivering was on his phone the whole time, gave me the electronic thing to mark, which I did - though I doubt you could discern it, I thought I was signing to confirm delivery. No mention of any charges or anything at all.
A week or so later I receive a bill for MWSt and an admin fee.
I wrote to DHL asking why they are charging me as I am not their customer.
I wonder if anyone can help me understand if this is legal? I don't think it is ethical. Can they really charge anything they want without warning me?
Thanks

Guest 27.06.2019 14:57

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice K (Post 3079210)
I'd like to ask a similar question. I received a gift delivered by DHL :mad:
The guy delivering was on his phone the whole time, gave me the electronic thing to mark, which I did - though I doubt you could discern it, I thought I was signing to confirm delivery. No mention of any charges or anything at all.
A week or so later I receive a bill for MWSt and an admin fee.
I wrote to DHL asking why they are charging me as I am not their customer.
I wonder if anyone can help me understand if this is legal? I don't think it is ethical. Can they really charge anything they want without warning me?
Thanks

What was the package worth? If it's over a certain value you have to pay tax on it and DHL can charge whatever admin fee they like. Shitty, but all perfectly legal.

EdwinNL 27.06.2019 15:03

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

What was the package worth? If it's over a certain value you have to pay tax on it and DHL can charge whatever admin fee they like. Shitty, but all perfectly legal.
Value is one thing, if they have to open the package to determine the value they can also charge for that, even if the value is 0,50 Chf.

Next time ask what you are signing for instead of assuming it will al be fine. And yes you'll have to pay.

Guest 27.06.2019 15:16

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice K (Post 3079210)
I'd like to ask a similar question. I received a gift delivered by DHL :mad:
The guy delivering was on his phone the whole time, gave me the electronic thing to mark, which I did - though I doubt you could discern it, I thought I was signing to confirm delivery. No mention of any charges or anything at all.
A week or so later I receive a bill for MWSt and an admin fee.
I wrote to DHL asking why they are charging me as I am not their customer.
I wonder if anyone can help me understand if this is legal? I don't think it is ethical. Can they really charge anything they want without warning me?
Thanks


If you didn't read what you were signing is that the fault of DHL or of you ?


You are the receiver it is your responsibilty to pay if no other arangements have been made.


If the gift giver thought to increase the value, just in case the parcel got lost, then he didn't do you any favour as you went over the threshold for customs duties.

Guest 27.06.2019 15:17

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3079215)
Value is one thing, if they have to open the package to determine the value they can also charge for that, even if the value is 0,50 Chf.

That's the "admin fee" ;)

They normally don't open it if there is an invoice accompanying the airway bill, and the invoice shows a bona fide amount for the contents.

A UK contact of ours sent our office an item marked down as 3.50 to presumably help us avoid tax :confused: but Fedex didn't accept it as the goods were obviously closer to a more realistic 100 quid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3079215)
Next time ask what you are signing for instead of assuming it will al be fine. And yes you'll have to pay.

It's unlikely the DHL bloke has a clue what the breakdown of costs are for a particular parcel. His remit is to hand it over against a signature, and his only option is to take it back to the depot if the recipient doesn't want to sign for it.

Alice K 27.06.2019 15:23

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

If you didn't read what you were signing is that the fault of DHL or of you ?


You are the receiver it is your responsibilty to pay if no other arangements have been made.


If the gift giver thought to increase the value, just in case the parcel got lost, then he didn't do you any favour as you went over the threshold for customs duties.

I wasn't given anything to read, the delivery guy was busy on his phone and said nothing to me. Do they not have a duty to say they are going to charge?

I am really struggling to understand how they can charge me for receiving a gift. I agree with the poster above - it is shitty.

roegner 27.06.2019 15:26

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice K (Post 3079223)
I wasn't given anything to read, the delivery guy was busy on his phone and said nothing to me. Do they not have a duty to say they are going to charge?

I am really struggling to understand how they can charge me for receiving a gift. I agree with the poster above - it is shitty.


Nah, he is just the delivery man. Ask him to show you what exactly you are signing for (I hate it when they just show you a blank field and not having an idea what I sign for).

Guest 27.06.2019 15:27

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice K (Post 3079223)
I wasn't given anything to read, the delivery guy was busy on his phone and said nothing to me. Do they not have a duty to say they are going to charge?

I am really struggling to understand how they can charge me for receiving a gift. I agree with the poster above - it is shitty.

It makes no difference if it's a gift from your mum or a delivery of toner for a photocopier from a supplier. If it exceeds the CHF value threshold you have to pay a tax on it.

If it was only a couple of t-shirts worth CHF 15 I would complain to them but if it's more than about CHF 60.- forget it. You just have to pay.

EdwinNL 27.06.2019 15:47

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice K (Post 3079223)

I am really struggling to understand how they can charge me for receiving a gift. I agree with the poster above - it is shitty.

By law they are forced to handle the vat (unless the sender already did) and by law they are allowed to charge you costs for that. All package delivery companies in Switzerland have these costs very clearly on their websites.

I am surprised that this is unknown to you given that your join date is 2008.

Guest 27.06.2019 15:52

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice K (Post 3079223)
I wasn't given anything to read, the delivery guy was busy on his phone and said nothing to me. Do they not have a duty to say they are going to charge?

I am really struggling to understand how they can charge me for receiving a gift. I agree with the poster above - it is shitty.


Well, wait until he has finished and ask before sigining.


It really is your problem, you sigfned without knowing what you were signing, fine the guy was on his phon, wait until he has finished.


What was the value of the "gift" that is the question that needs to be answered.....


Sorry you don't understand such simple matters :rolleyes:

Guest 27.06.2019 15:53

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

It makes no difference if it's a gift from your mum or a delivery of toner for a photocopier from a supplier. If it exceeds the CHF value threshold you have to pay a tax on it.

If it was only a couple of t-shirts worth CHF 15 I would complain to them but if it's more than about CHF 60.- forget it. You just have to pay.

Irrelevant, if the T-Shirts were valued at an amoutnsuperior to the threshold, then tax is due, actual value doesn't matter here, however they can and will increase value should it be obviously well below what the actual value is.

Guest 27.06.2019 16:06

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Irrelevant, if the T-Shirts were valued at an amoutnsuperior to the threshold, then tax is due, actual value doesn't matter here, however they can and will increase value should it be obviously well below what the actual value is.
Even if they've got the shop tags on?

st2lemans 27.06.2019 16:11

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
And don't forget the shipping costs! :eek:

Tom

EdwinNL 27.06.2019 16:18

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Even if they've got the shop tags on?
Yes.

(everybody can simply put on labels with whatever price is desired, and Gucci baseball caps with a 2,- Chf label will not be accepted as carrying the proper price)

Guest 27.06.2019 16:22

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 3079248)
Yes.

(everybody can simply put on labels with whatever price is desired, and Gucci baseball caps with a 2,- Chf label will not be accepted as carrying the proper price)

I think that's going a bit far, don't you? You order from an official seller, and let's be honest, you can easily get a couple of Marks and Spencer t-shirts for 15 quid (not sure why you're going into CHF 2.- Gucci caps :confused:), they have the shop tags and an accompanying invoice, and still DHL hikes the value to suit itself and slaps tax on accordingly? I wouldn't fancy their chances defending their reasoning for that.

Even if my mother sends me those t-shirts, she can put the receipt and leave the labels on, can't she?

I was using the t-shirts as an example of cheaper goods vs expensive seeing as AliceK didn't provide the value of the package she's talking about. I wasn't really intending to open a discussion on whether people spoof shop labels to dodge tax.

Alice K 27.06.2019 16:26

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:



Sorry you don't understand such simple matters :rolleyes:

Thanks for that! Appreciate the heartfelt sympathy!?!


I feel 'Switzerlanded' - lots of hidden charges that you just have to grin and bear.


I still feel annoyed, I have absolutely no way of knowing if there is going to be a fee until I have taken possession of the gift. Delivery driver doesn't know how much it might be and won't let me see the attached documents until I sign for the parcel. Might be legal, and well known common practice here, it still leaves a bad taste.

Guest 27.06.2019 16:31

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Even if they've got the shop tags on?



They get passed through at whatever you declare unless it is too low !


So the good thinking Aunt Peabrain, declares 2 t-shirts at Chf 100.-- each, just in case they get lost and you can try and claim unexistant insurance, go through at this price.She meant well but it is unfortuantely expensive !!


If she sent a Rolex through at say USD 50.-- then this would be increased to a full shop price and you would be charged accordingly.



If it was a "Thailand Rolex" then you have a further problem with importing counterfeit goods. The Swiss don't like counterfeit as they have a high proportion of luxury goods makers who provide a valuable income for the country and so they are protected against couterfeits .

Alice K 27.06.2019 16:33

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 

People are asking about the value of the gift. The issue here is, I think, that I didn't know the value until I had signed for it.
It was above the MWSt value, but there was no way of me knowing that.


It just seems odd that I could send an empty box, claim it has a high value and the person receiving it has to pay the MWSt and any admin fee the delivery company deems fit to charge.

Where is the incentive to be honest in the cost of an item?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:41.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0