English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Finance/banking/taxation (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/)
-   -   Mwst and admin fee on parcels. (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/276977-mwst-admin-fee-parcels.html)

coolg 14.11.2017 11:43

Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Hey all, I would like to take your views on two issues.

1. I live in Switzerland. My sister located outside Switzerland (in India) ordered eyeglasses for me. The company sent the glasses through DHL and I picked them up from a pick up point. I didnt know what i have received, until after opening it. Now, few days after it, I have received a bill from DHL for CHF 27.30 (MWST 5.30 CHF + provision pour avance de fonds (provision for cash advance) 3 CHF + frais de gestation de compte (account gestation fees)19 CHF). The value of package is 66 CHF.

Now, what to do regarding this bill. MWST is fine and I am ready to pay it , but what about these extra 22 CHF. If i have known there are extra charges, I might not have taken the package. I am ready to send back the package, if its still an option. Also, since i had not ordered from DHL, how can they ask me to pay for it.


2. I order a jacket from a seller on amazon.co.uk . Package plus posting is GBP 23.81 equivalent to CHF 31. Now , I have got a letter from die post , asking for a copy of bill. I guess either the seller forgot to attach the bill or they believe GBP 23.81 is too low a value for jacket. What should i do in such a case. I do not want to pay any extra fee. Please guide.

Regards
Gaurav

Sbrinz 14.11.2017 11:50

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
If you could first search the forum, you will see this is a well covered subject!

MWST on my own stuff? duvenhage Finance/banking/taxation 21 17.01.2017 22:56 Advice to all people on shipping parcels to Swiss Jaya Finance/banking/taxation 6 11.05.2015 14:32 How to avoid VAT charges on parcels from overseas? Kiwinumber1 Finance/banking/taxation 16 26.07.2010 16:48 Pay MWST twice on the same item? Rads85 Other/general 3 11.02.2010 09:34 Opened parcels and privacy Phos Daily life 35 09.11.2007 17:58

https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-li...l-morning.html

aSwissInTheUS 14.11.2017 11:56

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
1. Seems to be correct.

2. Send the requested statement. You may have to pay a fee because seller was not able to declare package correctly and aditional investigation had to be done.


https://www.englishforum.ch/complain...purchases.html
https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-li...port-duty.html

coolg 14.11.2017 12:06

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by aSwissInTheUS (Post 2873703)
1. Seems to be correct.

2. Send the requested statement. You may have to pay a fee because seller was not able to declare package correctly and aditional investigation had to be done.


https://www.englishforum.ch/complain...purchases.html
https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-li...port-duty.html

Can i ask them to send the package back. Will there be any fee in that case.

EdwinNL 14.11.2017 14:06

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolg (Post 2873708)
Can i ask them to send the package back. Will there be any fee in that case.

You always can ask them and they will say no and you still have to pay.

These are general rules that you yourself need to be aware of, saying "I did not know" does not work. If you import goods you need to look for how to do this and this info is very easily to be found, if you did not do this then you can only blame yourself.

So pay the bill, and send them the copy of the bill and pay a second bill if needed for the second package.

AbFab 14.11.2017 14:11

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
You’re buying glasses at CHF66 and complaining about a handling fee and whether to return them...

st2lemans 14.11.2017 14:16

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinNL (Post 2873787)
You always can ask them and they will say no and you still have to pay.

Wrong (on #2, true for #1). :rolleyes:

You don't accept the package, they will send it back (or destroy it), and there is nothing to pay. ;)

Tom

meloncollie 14.11.2017 14:17

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 2873791)
You’re buying glasses at CHF66 and complaining about a handling fee and whether to return them...

This is a good point, coolg.

Do you need prescription specs, and if so, do these glasses work well for you?

The price of specs from a Swiss supplier is eye-watering. Literally.

(Back when I had a simple prescription I was thrilled any time I was able to get specs under CHF 400. That's bog standard specs with the cheapest frame, none of the bells and whistles lile thin lenses, non-reflective treatment, etc. Nowadays with a complicated prescription I am happy when the specs come in under a couple grand...:eek: )

If these work you'd likely be better off keeping them, even with the admin fee included in the price.

EdwinNL 14.11.2017 14:20

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2873795)
Wrong. :rolleyes:

You don't accept the package, they will send it back (or destroy it), and there is nothing to pay. ;)

Tom

Ah, I thought of the first package..

/me grabs a coffee...

(And well if they destroy the package, OP still has to pay for the jacket itself..)

Chuff 14.11.2017 14:28

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolg (Post 2873708)
Can i ask them to send the package back. Will there be any fee in that case.

1) Nothing you can do about DHL, they are basically a bunch of thieves. never order anything where they are the courier.

2) Yes, you can usually refuse to accept the package and it will be returned to sender. I have done this before on disproportionate postage fees. However in your case they are just asking for a copy of the receipt for an item that you know is below the tax threshold, so why not send it to them?

st2lemans 14.11.2017 14:44

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 2873805)
1) Nothing you can do about DHL, they are basically a bunch of thieves. never order anything where they are the courier.

Bullshit.

Tom

coolg 14.11.2017 15:00

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AbFab (Post 2873791)
You’re buying glasses at CHF66 and complaining about a handling fee and whether to return them...

Because, currently I have no immediate need of the glasses. Its lying unused.

coolg 14.11.2017 15:06

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 2873796)
This is a good point, coolg.

Do you need prescription specs, and if so, do these glasses work well for you?

The price of specs from a Swiss supplier is eye-watering. Literally.

(Back when I had a simple prescription I was thrilled any time I was able to get specs under CHF 400. That's bog standard specs with the cheapest frame, none of the bells and whistles lile thin lenses, non-reflective treatment, etc. Nowadays with a complicated prescription I am happy when the specs come in under a couple grand...:eek: )

If these work you'd likely be better off keeping them, even with the admin fee included in the price.

Yes. I need the spects and are using them. So, the new pair is an extra one. The new one is a branded one and is thin, anti glare , blue cut etc. Therefore, is really costly as per Indian Standards.

coolg 14.11.2017 15:10

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuff (Post 2873805)
1) Nothing you can do about DHL, they are basically a bunch of thieves. never order anything where they are the courier.

2) Yes, you can usually refuse to accept the package and it will be returned to sender. I have done this before on disproportionate postage fees. However in your case they are just asking for a copy of the receipt for an item that you know is below the tax threshold, so why not send it to them?

What I am actually is worried about different kinds of different fees they can charge. What i have searched, they may charge storage fee and research (for the bill) fee.

roegner 14.11.2017 15:13

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolg (Post 2873836)
What I am actually is worried about different kinds of different fees they can charge. What i have searched, they may charge storage fee and research (for the bill) fee.

So? Find the invoice, scan it and send it to them.
If I order something online they most of the time email me the invoice

Chuff 14.11.2017 15:23

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolg (Post 2873836)
What I am actually is worried about different kinds of different fees they can charge. What i have searched, they may charge storage fee and research (for the bill) fee.

Just refuse the parcel then.

NotAllThere 14.11.2017 17:20

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2873815)
Bullshit.

Tom

However, if DHL are the couriers for online goods, I buy elsewhere. I've had grief from them too many times - incorrectly declared goods. Charging admin fee twice for the same parcel, taking months to fix their errors...

st2lemans 14.11.2017 18:38

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 2873902)
However, if DHL are the couriers for online goods, I buy elsewhere. I've had grief from them too many times - incorrectly declared goods. Charging admin fee twice for the same parcel, taking months to fix their errors...

It used to be like that, but now they have all-included shipping, and that works just fine.

Tom

Carlos R 06.02.2018 07:35

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2873928)
It used to beis still like that, but now they have all-included shipping, and that works just fine they still try it on.

Tom

2 weeks ago: Postage and goods value 57CHF... DHL man: “here’s the bill for ~30 CHF”. Refused item, spoke to company I bought goods from. 30 min later get a call from DHL saying they’ll waive the fees. Wankers.

Chuff 06.02.2018 08:06

Re: Mwst and admin fee on parcels.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 2873928)
now they have all-included shipping, and that works just fine.

Tom

Since when? That is official policy?


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:20.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0