Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.07.2008, 07:45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
squaredeal has no particular reputation at present
seeking attorney in Zurich for banking transaction

I'm looking for an attorney who is experienced in swiss banking secrecy; that is to say, someone who can set up a private trust so that assets may not be traced to an american beneficial owner.

The amounts involved are small but substantial (slightly lower than the typical $2M needed to make the expense of a trust worthwhile).

Ideally this would be someone who is able to challenge UBS (or at least fire off a letter of warning) should they decide to comply with the IRS's order to turn over the names of their clients from 2002-2007. However, as I understand it once the EBK makes this decision it is a matter for the criminal courts rather than the civil ones, so this is a long shot. However, the attorney should be knowledgeable enough to explain why this is a bad idea.

I have already retained a US tax attorney to help with the declaration of overseas assets and the filing of amended returns; the issue now is what to do with the money should I decide not to repatriate it. It's not enough money to go to Singapore, and Panama is too sketchy. For obvious reasons Luxembourg and Isle of Man are right out.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at squaredeal for this post:
  #2  
Old 11.07.2008, 22:33
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: seeking attorney in Zurich for banking transaction

Quote:
View Post
Ideally this would be someone who is able to challenge UBS (or at least fire off a letter of warning) should they decide to comply with the IRS's order to turn over the names of their clients from 2002-2007. However, as I understand it once the EBK makes this decision it is a matter for the criminal courts rather than the civil ones, so this is a long shot. However, the attorney should be knowledgeable enough to explain why this is a bad idea.

I have already retained a US tax attorney to help with the declaration of overseas assets and the filing of amended returns; the issue now is what to do with the money should I decide not to repatriate it. It's not enough money to go to Singapore, and Panama is too sketchy. For obvious reasons Luxembourg and Isle of Man are right out.
Which EBK decision do you refer to?
Why are Luxembourg and Isle of Man unsuitable?
What about Channel Islands or British Virgin?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11.07.2008, 23:16
nksyoon's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: formerly Zürich
Posts: 446
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 246 Times in 139 Posts
nksyoon has an excellent reputationnksyoon has an excellent reputationnksyoon has an excellent reputationnksyoon has an excellent reputation
Re: seeking attorney in Zurich for banking transaction

How about Delaware?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12.07.2008, 06:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 123 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: seeking attorney in Zurich for banking transaction

Quote:
View Post
I'm looking for an attorney who is experienced in swiss banking secrecy; that is to say, someone who can set up a private trust so that assets may not be traced to an american beneficial owner.

The amounts involved are small but substantial (slightly lower than the typical $2M needed to make the expense of a trust worthwhile).

Ideally this would be someone who is able to challenge UBS (or at least fire off a letter of warning) should they decide to comply with the IRS's order to turn over the names of their clients from 2002-2007. However, as I understand it once the EBK makes this decision it is a matter for the criminal courts rather than the civil ones, so this is a long shot. However, the attorney should be knowledgeable enough to explain why this is a bad idea.

I have already retained a US tax attorney to help with the declaration of overseas assets and the filing of amended returns; the issue now is what to do with the money should I decide not to repatriate it. It's not enough money to go to Singapore, and Panama is too sketchy. For obvious reasons Luxembourg and Isle of Man are right out.
If you are worried about UBS turning over historic data then setting up a trust now won't necessarily help.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12.07.2008, 08:53
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,996
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,107 Times in 4,523 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: seeking attorney in Zurich for banking transaction

Turn it in to diamonds & I'll wear it!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 12.07.2008, 09:58
billie's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 138
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
billie has no particular reputation at present
Re: seeking attorney in Zurich for banking transaction

I just talked about things like that with one friend of mine and he mentioned two good lawyers. One is in Zug and the other one is in Zurich.
If you would like to check out those guys - PM me and I will forward you their phone numbers.
Wish you all the best.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29.07.2008, 16:33
rollins's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kreis 11
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
rollins has no particular reputation at present
Re: seeking attorney in Zurich for banking transaction

Quote:
View Post
Which EBK decision do you refer to?
I believe he is referring to the decision by the EBK to break the banking secrecy laws; it happens occasionally, witness the pending decision of the swiss courts concerning the Miami subpoenas issued to UBS. For the record I'm not sure if this decision is made by a swiss court or by the EBK.
Quote:
View Post
Why are Luxembourg and Isle of Man unsuitable?
What about Channel Islands or British Virgin?
Banking secrecy in the British Commonwealth is not suitable for US clients, in my opinion. Using a trust helps, but for private clients with personal accounts there is not enough protection.

As to the original poster, trying to sue UBS will be a fool's errand and I doubt any barrister will entertain the idea.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.07.2008, 09:37
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: seeking attorney in Zurich for banking transaction

Quote:
View Post
I believe he is referring to the decision by the EBK to break the banking secrecy laws; it happens occasionally, witness the pending decision of the swiss courts concerning the Miami subpoenas issued to UBS. For the record I'm not sure if this decision is made by a swiss court or by the EBK.
I doubt that the EBK can or would make such a specific decision pertaining to an individual. Even if the EBK did such micro-management, the individual can challenge that administrative decision in a Swiss court and appeal it all the way to the Supreme Court.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
banking secrecy, banks, lawyer




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
banking job in Zurich / salary expectations? mmarco Employment 3 05.07.2008 09:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0