Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 09.04.2020, 13:01
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 510
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 317 Times in 183 Posts
dbucar is considered knowledgeabledbucar is considered knowledgeabledbucar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
how does one follow the "all days" strategy? by investing the same amount every day? then how does one know how long one should ration the amount per day to invest?


I remember you once also said that DCA is also not good.
That's simply too much work, and the transaction fees would eat up your potential profits.
That simulation of "all days" is extreme, I would prefer (i.e. it would be more realistic) if it was something like "on the 1st of each month buy for x money".

In practice: Just put in a lump sum at the start (statistically it's a better decision than DCA in 2/3 of the cases; yet we are emotional beings and it might be "easier to stomach" to split that up into several chunks and buy gradually).
And keep on adding monthly-or-so savings into the fund (which is essentially another form of DCA).
That is, if your intention is "buy & hold".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dbucar for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 09.04.2020, 15:48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GR
Posts: 378
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 117 Times in 105 Posts
wantone has no particular reputation at present
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
Because I think the current market is overvalued, and the movement is not making sense. Production is reduced, people are not spending money, jobs are lost, and the virus situation is not under controlled. If we are not entering another leg down and a recession, I am happy to be on the wrong side of it.
Stocks were oversold hence they bounced back. This happened during the crash of 1929 as well. After 30 months they were at -86% from the top. This corona thing has a long way to go I am afraid.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 09.04.2020, 21:04
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,871
Groaned at 322 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 17,113 Times in 9,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
Stocks were oversold hence they bounced back. This happened during the crash of 1929 as well. After 30 months they were at -86% from the top. This corona thing has a long way to go I am afraid.
Actually for a stock picker the next 2 years will produce amazing opportunities, index funds will do poorly due to holdings in everything, so many business's will suffer Airlines, Banks & some manufactures. Car insurance will be insanely profitable for the first time in many decades as people hardly use their cars but have paid the normal premium.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 09.04.2020, 21:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GR
Posts: 378
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 117 Times in 105 Posts
wantone has no particular reputation at present
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
Actually for a stock picker the next 2 years will produce amazing opportunities, index funds will do poorly due to holdings in everything, so many business's will suffer Airlines, Banks & some manufactures. Car insurance will be insanely profitable for the first time in many decades as people hardly use their cars but have paid the normal premium.
It is still too early to say if stocks will be the best investment and which stocks will be winners.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 10.04.2020, 08:44
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,871
Groaned at 322 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 17,113 Times in 9,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
It is still too early to say if stocks will be the best investment and which stocks will be winners.
Stocks have always been the best investment over the long hall by a huge margin. The 20th Century was amazing, let's recap, Spanish Flu, Great Depression, 2 World wars.........
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #126  
Old 10.04.2020, 11:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,688
Groaned at 305 Times in 253 Posts
Thanked 9,882 Times in 5,217 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
how does one follow the "all days" strategy? by investing the same amount every day? then how does one know how long one should ration the amount per day to invest?

I remember you once also said that DCA is also not good.
Careful when listening to investment advice from anonymous strangers on the interwebs. You're not going to get screwed on this forum but that doesn't make every opinion valid or suitable for your situation, honest as it probably is.

At the end of the day only you can decide. That's why you want to arm yourself at least with fundamental investment knowledge to weed out at least most of the chaff. Read a book or three and read a financial newspaper for a few years.

And do mind those bloody recurring costs, it's the only thing you know with certainty about the future.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #127  
Old 10.04.2020, 11:20
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,035
Groaned at 41 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 2,679 Times in 1,293 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
. . . Car insurance will be insanely profitable for the first time in many decades as people hardly use their cars but have paid the normal premium.
Those insurance companies which have nice firewall between their car insurance business and their holiday cancellation insurance business might do well.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 10.04.2020, 12:52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GR
Posts: 378
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 117 Times in 105 Posts
wantone has no particular reputation at present
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
Stocks have always been the best investment over the long hall by a huge margin. The 20th Century was amazing, let's recap, Spanish Flu, Great Depression, 2 World wars.........
You are missing the point. They are not the same stocks.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 10.04.2020, 13:04
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,947
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,618 Times in 5,663 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
You are missing the point. They are not the same stocks.
What stock is he refering to??? I do not see any mentioning of stocks.

For me there are a couple of points: someone who managed to retire early and live off his investments, seems to me a creditable source :-)

Secondly: unless you can trade real time, you will almost never be on time.

So for me, thirdly, I just invest every month something. Yes, one month less stock, the next month more. Over time it has built me a nice portfolio.

Working in the financial sector I know that I do not know it all.....
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #130  
Old 10.04.2020, 13:42
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,871
Groaned at 322 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 17,113 Times in 9,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
Those insurance companies which have nice firewall between their car insurance business and their holiday cancellation insurance business might do well.
I doubt the holiday insurance will do too badly either , Covid 19 will unlikely be covered, the person won't go on holiday & the insurance keeps the premium.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 10.04.2020, 14:49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GR
Posts: 378
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 117 Times in 105 Posts
wantone has no particular reputation at present
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
What stock is he refering to??? I do not see any mentioning of stocks.

For me there are a couple of points: someone who managed to retire early and live off his investments, seems to me a creditable source :-)

Secondly: unless you can trade real time, you will almost never be on time.

So for me, thirdly, I just invest every month something. Yes, one month less stock, the next month more. Over time it has built me a nice portfolio.

Working in the financial sector I know that I do not know it all.....
Most companies cease to exist after 10-20-30-40 years. My point is that they are not the same companies that survived WWII, not the same companies you would buy in the 80s or the 90s. Most companies we buy today they went public after 2000 (mostly technology stocks that lift the markets).
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 10.04.2020, 14:51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GR
Posts: 378
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 117 Times in 105 Posts
wantone has no particular reputation at present
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
What stock is he refering to??? I do not see any mentioning of stocks.

For me there are a couple of points: someone who managed to retire early and live off his investments, seems to me a creditable source :-)

Secondly: unless you can trade real time, you will almost never be on time.

So for me, thirdly, I just invest every month something. Yes, one month less stock, the next month more. Over time it has built me a nice portfolio.

Working in the financial sector I know that I do not know it all.....
Indeed but we are in a bull market that started in 1982.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at wantone for this post:
  #133  
Old 10.04.2020, 15:02
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,871
Groaned at 322 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 17,113 Times in 9,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
Most companies cease to exist after 10-20-30-40 years. My point is that they are not the same companies that survived WWII, not the same companies you would buy in the 80s or the 90s. Most companies we buy today they went public after 2000 (mostly technology stocks that lift the markets).
As this is the Fundsmith thread, I will point out the average company held in the portfolio was founded in 1928 so 92 years ago, so please do some research rather than spamming the thread with irrelevant information.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 10.04.2020, 16:51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: GR
Posts: 378
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 117 Times in 105 Posts
wantone has no particular reputation at present
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
As this is the Fundsmith thread, I will point out the average company held in the portfolio was founded in 1928 so 92 years ago, so please do some research rather than spamming the thread with irrelevant information.
ok you have a point here. as I don't have time to look at the investments of this money manager I am not going to post in this thread anymore.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 10.04.2020, 17:11
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,947
Groaned at 341 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 11,618 Times in 5,663 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
ok you have a point here. as I don't have time to look at the investments of this money manager I am not going to post in this thread anymore.

Good luck.
Nobody forces you. But even risk managers can learn something :-)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #136  
Old 19.04.2020, 15:21
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,871
Groaned at 322 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 17,113 Times in 9,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

9th shareholders meeting of Fundsmith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZy9-4Z_4i8
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #137  
Old 19.04.2020, 19:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 510
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 317 Times in 183 Posts
dbucar is considered knowledgeabledbucar is considered knowledgeabledbucar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
9th shareholders meeting of Fundsmith
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZy9-4Z_4i8
FF, have you ever attended in person?
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 19.04.2020, 19:26
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,871
Groaned at 322 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 17,113 Times in 9,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
FF, have you ever attended in person?
I was thinking about it this year as I was in the UK for a wedding on 29 February but something else cropped up so I could not go early.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 21.04.2020, 14:13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Port-Valais (was SFO)
Posts: 326
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 212 Times in 119 Posts
Caryl has earned the respect of manyCaryl has earned the respect of manyCaryl has earned the respect of many
Re: Another fundsmith question

Just watched the video of the February AGM. Left wondering what Julian Robins (now a US citizen) is doing about PFIC and US income tax.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 21.04.2020, 14:44
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,871
Groaned at 322 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 17,113 Times in 9,364 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another fundsmith question

Quote:
View Post
Just watched the video of the February AGM. Left wondering what Julian Robins (now a US citizen) is doing about PFIC and US income tax.
Julian Roberts has lived in the US for many years. FS do have a fund for US Citizens &residents so possibly he invests via that. He is also a partner in the LLP.

He has been resident in the US since the start of Fundsmith, this is confirmed by the 2010 incorporation found here
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk
Fundsmith LLP, then filing history page 2 at the bottom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question regarding Fundsmith Dr Mick Finance/banking/taxation 158 30.07.2019 10:24
Another wiring question... krn Housing in general 16 10.09.2017 14:40
Another DIY question PaddyG Daily life 28 04.09.2016 12:17
Another English question crm Other/general 4 17.09.2009 10:08
Another Salary question lumpy Employment 9 29.08.2008 11:08


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0