Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 16.05.2018, 15:00
mike_n's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 143
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 31 Posts
mike_n has slipped a little
Postfinance is getting worse

I made an important transaction online with postfinance this week and was anxious for the money to be transferred. When I checked it in the online banking, I found out that the transaction was not executed. It seems that postfinance had some technical issues, so I had to resubmit the transaction.

Now, what bothers me is that postfinance didn't even bother to inform me. And usually they pester me trying to sell all kind of products I don't need.

I don't know what's going on, but it seems the service is going massively down at PostFinance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 16.05.2018, 15:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,978
Groaned at 647 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 14,745 Times in 5,762 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Was the transaction actually even registered in their systems after this technical error? If they had no record of it then it's not surprising you weren't notified that it was not completed.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 16.05.2018, 15:16
mike_n's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 143
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 31 Posts
mike_n has slipped a little
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
Was the transaction actually even registered in their systems after this technical error? If they had no record of it then it's not surprising you weren't notified that it was not completed.
The transaction was registered as rejected. They acknowledged the technical issue and told me to resubmit. They also said quite a lot of transaction were affected.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16.05.2018, 15:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,978
Groaned at 647 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 14,745 Times in 5,762 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
The transaction was registered as rejected. They acknowledged the technical issue and told me to resubmit. They also said quite a lot of transaction were affected.
If it was system-wide then it's not surprising you weren't personally contacted because it probably happened to thousands of people.

PostFinance has the occasional technical blip since I started using them 10 years ago but they are now more stable than they used to be.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 16.05.2018, 15:32
mike_n's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 143
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 31 Posts
mike_n has slipped a little
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
If it was system-wide then it's not surprising you weren't personally contacted because it probably happened to thousands of people.

PostFinance has the occasional technical blip since I started using them 10 years ago but they are now more stable than they used to be.
They could have sent an email or an SMS. It was important. Baiscally I am losing money because I am late with a transfer.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 16.05.2018, 15:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,978
Groaned at 647 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 14,745 Times in 5,762 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
They could have sent an email or an SMS. It was important. Baiscally I am losing money because I am late with a transfer.
I don't think their system has a way of recognising the relative importance of a transaction, but I agree that they should have sent out a customer-wide notification at least.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.05.2018, 17:03
speakeron's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Censored
Posts: 1,445
Groaned at 39 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 1,299 Times in 666 Posts
speakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
They also said quite a lot of transaction were affected.
It's my new thing to try and add 'effected' into a sentence where I'm using 'affected', so people can tell the difference (that doesn't include you, of course, you clearly do know the difference). In this case, I would say:

They also said quite a lot of transactions were affected, so quite a lot of transactions were not effected.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.05.2018, 17:29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: zurich
Posts: 84
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
ambypower has no particular reputation at present
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
They could have sent an email or an SMS. It was important. Baiscally I am losing money because I am late with a transfer.

I received a mail in the Postfinance Mailbox for the rejected transaction , some weird reason of failure though "country didn't match"
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 16.05.2018, 20:30
robBob's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,491
Groaned at 29 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,086 Times in 636 Posts
robBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputationrobBob has an excellent reputation
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Usually such problems come in the news for all to find out.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16.05.2018, 22:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 823
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 431 Times in 270 Posts
simple_person is considered knowledgeablesimple_person is considered knowledgeablesimple_person is considered knowledgeable
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

I placed 4 transactions and 2 failed with the message "Invalid combination of destination country and currency". But this happened to me first time in last 5 years. Luckily I checked account next day, otherwise I could have been late for these 2 failed payments.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16.05.2018, 22:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,095
Groaned at 27 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 5,609 Times in 2,295 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

It must be really annoying when money one thinks one has paid didn't get transferred.
Even so, just asking… isn't it usual to check, after submitting any transaction online, that it really was processed?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.05.2018, 23:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 823
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 431 Times in 270 Posts
simple_person is considered knowledgeablesimple_person is considered knowledgeablesimple_person is considered knowledgeable
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Honestly I don't check and only login next time when new payment slip arrives.

Quote:
View Post
Even so, just asking… isn't it usual to check, after submitting any transaction online, that it really was processed?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17.05.2018, 07:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,978
Groaned at 647 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 14,745 Times in 5,762 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
just asking… isn't it usual to check, after submitting any transaction online, that it really was processed?
No it's not. You pay and then forget about it as you trust the systems to work.

Don't use online banking much, do you doropfiz?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 17.05.2018, 09:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,166
Groaned at 101 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 1,877 Times in 637 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

In about 1997 I was 'accosted' on the pavement by a 'gang' of Post Finance sellers outside the local post office. In fact these people were then all over the place getting people to sign up for the promoted service. They were particularly present towards the end of the month when lots of people went to the PO to pay their bills with einzahlungsscheine and the then little yellow receipt book. Well I couldn't resist, I could do everything from home and just pop the ESs into the already addressed envelope and then into the post.
The service was amazingly good. The envelope was prepaid A post. All envelopes were free. For every daily transaction a statement was sent A post. All ES supplied by PF were free of charge including those with one's own name and account number for monies owed. The end of month statement came by A post within two or three days of the month ending. There was no cost to users, the PF obviously made their profit by having immense amounts of money stashed away.
Today I wait about ten days for my end-of-month statement. I have to stick a stamp onto the envelope at my expense. Printed ES are charged. There are no transaction notices. Everything is per B post. And, just to add injury I have to pay Fr.5 every month for the service.


I could change and use my bank's services. But every time I walk into my bank I swear inwardly at the ostentatious waste of money spent on 'giving a good impression'.


I know - I could use my PC, but I don't want to.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Busby for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 17.05.2018, 09:29
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,978
Groaned at 647 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 14,745 Times in 5,762 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
In about 1997 I was 'accosted' on the pavement by a 'gang' of Post Finance sellers outside the local post office. In fact these people were then all over the place getting people to sign up for the promoted service. They were particularly present towards the end of the month when lots of people went to the PO to pay their bills with einzahlungsscheine and the then little yellow receipt book. Well I couldn't resist, I could do everything from home and just pop the ESs into the already addressed envelope and then into the post.
The service was amazingly good. The envelope was prepaid A post. All envelopes were free. For every daily transaction a statement was sent A post. All ES supplied by PF were free of charge including those with one's own name and account number for monies owed. The end of month statement came by A post within two or three days of the month ending. There was no cost to users, the PF obviously made their profit by having immense amounts of money stashed away.
Today I wait about ten days for my end-of-month statement. I have to stick a stamp onto the envelope at my expense. Printed ES are charged. There are no transaction notices. Everything is per B post. And, just to add injury I have to pay Fr.5 every month for the service.


I could change and use my bank's services.

I know - I could use my PC, but I don't want to.
Thanks for the utterly fascinating information about how you stubbornly refuse to enter the digital age and how banks should somehow accommodate that indefinitely without any additional charge despite having invested millions in their digital infrastructure for precisely the purpose of making life easier for people. They should raise your monthly charges even higher.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 17.05.2018, 09:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,166
Groaned at 101 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 1,877 Times in 637 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the utterly fascinating information about how you stubbornly refuse to enter the digital age and how banks should somehow accommodate that indefinitely without any additional charge despite having invested millions in their digital infrastructure for precisely the purpose of making life easier for people. They should raise your monthly charges even higher.


It's been obvious for a long time that old people get on your nerves. Never mind. As you progress through the years towards old age, we grandads and grandmas who are still happy about things being easy to understand will be slowly slipping away into a digital nothingness.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17.05.2018, 10:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,978
Groaned at 647 Times in 487 Posts
Thanked 14,745 Times in 5,762 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
It's been obvious for a long time that old people get on your nerves. Never mind. As you progress through the years towards old age, we grandads and grandmas who are still happy about things being easy to understand will be slowly slipping away into a digital nothingness.
Sigh... of course old people do not "get on my nerves", I have a large family and have always had older family members and influences in my life.

What annoys me is the mentality that some people (that mostly happen to be older) have where they stubbornly refuse to change their ways despite knowing it inconveniences others. I don't respect people who do not help themselves and then complain about it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 17.05.2018, 10:17
papasmurf's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 514
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 549 Times in 211 Posts
papasmurf is considered knowledgeablepapasmurf is considered knowledgeablepapasmurf is considered knowledgeable
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Thanks to this thread just checked my payments from Sunday and all rejected - currency not allowed.

just copied and resubmitted them
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank papasmurf for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 17.05.2018, 11:30
JoeUK's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Au
Posts: 615
Groaned at 30 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 793 Times in 426 Posts
JoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputationJoeUK has an excellent reputation
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Just in the process of shifting everything from UBS to PF... Now I am beginning to wonder!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17.05.2018, 13:04
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 12,748
Groaned at 267 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 15,133 Times in 6,431 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Postfinance is getting worse

Quote:
View Post
Just in the process of shifting everything from UBS to PF... Now I am beginning to wonder!
i wouldn't recommend having pf as only bank account. i now keep only minimal amounts in pf.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kitag Kino-getting worse omtatsat Complaints corner 21 01.01.2018 18:17
The PostFinance website is down freeworld Finance/banking/taxation 14 10.09.2015 14:12
A53 traffic getting worse? russandjilly Daily life 16 15.07.2011 15:51
Which is worse: Cigarettes or Alcohol? transition General off-topic 8 14.03.2011 17:06
Is Postfinance Card accepted by EasyJet / BA? kmsc_1 Finance/banking/taxation 4 28.09.2010 13:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0