Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 11.06.2019, 22:42
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
GreenS has no particular reputation at present
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

I'm thinking about opening an account with neon, I just moved to Zurich but I don't have the physical permit yet, but I already registered in the Gemeinden and I have to wait 2 weeks for the permit. Could I open an account?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12.06.2019, 05:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Altstetten ZH
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
maninwhitecoat has no particular reputation at present
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
I'm thinking about opening an account with neon, I just moved to Zurich but I don't have the physical permit yet, but I already registered in the Gemeinden and I have to wait 2 weeks for the permit. Could I open an account?
Unfortunately you need to wait for your permit to arrive before you can open an account. It normally comes quite quickly though, and you can already start the process of opening an account. The first part is signing up. The second part of the process is to schedule a call with them (they will call you) where you will need both your passport and permit. It's at this point where they scan the ID documents for verification.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 18.06.2019, 21:25
freeworld's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 169
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
freeworld has earned some respectfreeworld has earned some respect
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
I'm thinking about opening an account with neon, I just moved to Zurich but I don't have the physical permit yet, but I already registered in the Gemeinden and I have to wait 2 weeks for the permit. Could I open an account?
Be aware, it takes ca. 2 weeks to receive the physical card.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01.07.2019, 21:50
freeworld's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 169
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
freeworld has earned some respectfreeworld has earned some respect
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Anyone has experience with the neon partner E-INVEST or ELVIA? Seems to have a reasonable fee: 0.55% administration, 0.17% product fee.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01.07.2019, 21:59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 268
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 137 Times in 93 Posts
Dr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeable
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
Anyone has experience with the neon partner E-INVEST or ELVIA? Seems to have a reasonable fee: 0.55% administration, 0.17% product fee.
Why would you want to do that?
An ETF such as VTI would cost you 0.04% (US stocks only), something like VT or IWDA (if you prefer EU based ETFs) would cost you at most 0.2%.
And if you buy them using a low cost broker such as Interactive Brokers that does not charge any administration fee for portfolios > 100K then the "reasonable 0.55% administration fee" looks very unreasonable
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02.07.2019, 07:57
freeworld's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 169
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
freeworld has earned some respectfreeworld has earned some respect
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
Why would you want to do that?
An ETF such as VTI would cost you 0.04% (US stocks only), something like VT or IWDA (if you prefer EU based ETFs) would cost you at most 0.2%.
And if you buy them using a low cost broker such as Interactive Brokers that does not charge any administration fee for portfolios > 100K then the "reasonable 0.55% administration fee" looks very unreasonable
Good point. I need to find a good platform outside CH.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 23.05.2020, 11:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dübi
Posts: 517
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 375 Times in 221 Posts
Jaceq has earned the respect of manyJaceq has earned the respect of manyJaceq has earned the respect of many
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

And how is it? It's been a while and I wonder if people are happy with it?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 23.05.2020, 12:35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Altstetten ZH
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
maninwhitecoat has no particular reputation at present
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
And how is it? It's been a while and I wonder if people are happy with it?
Yeah for me it's been as I've expected. In the sense that I only use it to get my salary and pay bills or bank transfers. My day to day spending is on a credit card and I use the scan to pay feature to pay the bill. I scan off the computer screen and that works we. I can't complain really. No fees and the app has been reliable.

Also they won a big investment from the Swiss variation of the dragons den /shark tank a few months back

Last edited by maninwhitecoat; 23.05.2020 at 12:36. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank maninwhitecoat for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 31.05.2020, 22:39
Sultan of Swing's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bäärn
Posts: 198
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 121 Times in 73 Posts
Sultan of Swing has earned the respect of manySultan of Swing has earned the respect of manySultan of Swing has earned the respect of many
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
With Neon, you can have up to 24’000 CHF in transactions every day. With your card, you can withdraw up to 1000 CHF each day. You can spend 5000 CHF online and 5000 CHF in stores every day with the card. But there is a monthly limit of 10’000 CHF with the card.

the last bit - 10k per month per card, is this in egress direction? then how this correlates with 24k in transactions per day?


Zak has a limitation of 10k out per month, 5k per day. So if you need to move a substantial amount of funds with these online banks you are in for some negotiations it seems.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01.09.2020, 11:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Altstetten ZH
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
maninwhitecoat has no particular reputation at present
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

How are people depositing cash into the neon account? getting cash from Neon is easy enough but now i have a lot of cash lying around. Can you depsoit cash with Zak or other swiss free banking options?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01.09.2020, 12:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,948
Groaned at 40 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,309 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
How are people depositing cash into the neon account? getting cash from Neon is easy enough but now i have a lot of cash lying around. Can you depsoit cash with Zak or other swiss free banking options?
I think the only option is to deposit the cash at the post office via payment slip - which you will be charged for.

I think you can deposit cash using ZAK.

For the uninitiated, the principle advantages of NEON over ZAK are 0% FX fees on spending and English language support.

Neon have also paired up with transerwise to do exchanges into foreign currencies, but its better to just use transferwise direct to avoid Neon taking a cut.

Last edited by HickvonFrick; 01.09.2020 at 12:19.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 01.09.2020, 12:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,948
Groaned at 40 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,309 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
Why would you want to do that?
An ETF such as VTI would cost you 0.04% (US stocks only), something like VT or IWDA (if you prefer EU based ETFs) would cost you at most 0.2%.
And if you buy them using a low cost broker such as Interactive Brokers that does not charge any administration fee for portfolios > 100K then the "reasonable 0.55% administration fee" looks very unreasonable
Degiro doesn't charge at all for several ETFs I believe - even if you don't have 100K. Not that I would ever buy an ETF.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02.09.2020, 17:19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 376
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 166 Times in 108 Posts
starDeMer has earned the respect of manystarDeMer has earned the respect of manystarDeMer has earned the respect of many
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

question to users.
Have you been more than 16 years in the country?

"You'll need: passport/ID (and foreigner's permit), to be living in Switzerland, at least 16 years"
https://www.neon-free.ch/en/product/#
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02.09.2020, 17:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Altstetten ZH
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
maninwhitecoat has no particular reputation at present
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
question to users.
Have you been more than 16 years in the country?

"You'll need: passport/ID (and foreigner's permit), to be living in Switzerland, at least 16 years"
https://www.neon-free.ch/en/product/#
Not sure if your question is a joke or not but the neon FAQ is just poor English translation. It should be minimum 16 years old.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank maninwhitecoat for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 02.09.2020, 17:40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 376
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 166 Times in 108 Posts
starDeMer has earned the respect of manystarDeMer has earned the respect of manystarDeMer has earned the respect of many
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
question to users.
Have you been more than 16 years in the country?

"You'll need: passport/ID (and foreigner's permit), to be living in Switzerland, at least 16 years"
https://www.neon-free.ch/en/product/#

I was reading "to be living in Switzerland at least 16 years"
ponctuation is important
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02.09.2020, 17:48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 376
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 166 Times in 108 Posts
starDeMer has earned the respect of manystarDeMer has earned the respect of manystarDeMer has earned the respect of many
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
Not sure if your question is a joke or not but the neon FAQ is just poor English translation. It should be minimum 16 years old.
thank you for answering, it was not a joke
I deleted the question to avoid any doubt from other reader.
sorry for that,
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02.09.2020, 18:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Altstetten ZH
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
maninwhitecoat has no particular reputation at present
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
thank you for answering, it was not a joke
I deleted the question to avoid any doubt from other reader.
sorry for that,
No its OK! Some people (like myself) would poke fun sarcastically at the incorrect translation but I was answering seriously just in case!

And yes punctuation is important!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02.09.2020, 20:45
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 219
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 83 Times in 62 Posts
ormesome has made some interesting contributions
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
How are people depositing cash into the neon account? getting cash from Neon is easy enough but now i have a lot of cash lying around. Can you depsoit cash with Zak or other swiss free banking options?
Bank transfer at the moment from UBS until I get around to cancelling the account. After that there will be no need to deposit money really. Salary paid in as normal etc...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ormesome for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 02.09.2020, 21:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,948
Groaned at 40 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,309 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
question to users.
Have you been more than 16 years in the country?

"You'll need: passport/ID (and foreigner's permit), to be living in Switzerland, at least 16 years"
https://www.neon-free.ch/en/product/#

I had been in less than 16 days when I got my account.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02.09.2020, 21:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,948
Groaned at 40 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,309 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: neon-free = free CHF account?

Quote:
View Post
the last bit - 10k per month per card, is this in egress direction? then how this correlates with 24k in transactions per day?


Zak has a limitation of 10k out per month, 5k per day. So if you need to move a substantial amount of funds with these online banks you are in for some negotiations it seems.
I think its the different between card and account.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which free bank account in france? dbowie Finance/banking/taxation 2 26.09.2017 15:52
Maintenance free student account available for foreigners efs Finance/banking/taxation 2 15.08.2016 17:27
Free current / personal account? Jaceq Finance/banking/taxation 9 24.05.2011 18:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0