Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.01.2019, 15:38
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,083
Groaned at 275 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 17,337 Times in 7,333 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

I previously looked at cler.ch but found they had fees. Then today in a Swiss newspapers, I saw an article on various new fintechs (including viac, revolut) and there were two banks i'd never heard of before apparently offering free swiss banking:

zak, run by cler: https://www.cler.ch/de/landing-pages/zak/

and neon:

https://www.neon-free.ch/

anyone with either of these?

i see on the zak website something about 50Fr. is this free cash?!

neon is also in english. bonus!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 24.01.2019, 18:18
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,274
Groaned at 77 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 3,697 Times in 1,745 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Don’t you know how to use the search function?

https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-...f-account.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19.10.2020, 22:42
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Brugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
Massimo has made some interesting contributions
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Hey guys

After reading the thread, I decided to try neon. Everything was fine until they specifically asked if I have connections to Russia. Which I certainly do, being russian with russian passport.

Long story short - forget about opening an account in neon if you have a russian passport. Funny, but the same happened with Raiffeisen last week.

Herzlich Willkommen to Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19.10.2020, 23:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,161
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,577 Times in 818 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
Hey guys

After reading the thread, I decided to try neon. Everything was fine until they specifically asked if I have connections to Russia. Which I certainly do, being russian with russian passport.

Long story short - forget about opening an account in neon if you have a russian passport. Funny, but the same happened with Raiffeisen last week.

Herzlich Willkommen to Switzerland.
Did you have better luck with Cler?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.10.2020, 17:29
FunnyBone's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 828
Groaned at 40 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,212 Times in 527 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
Hey guys

After reading the thread, I decided to try neon. Everything was fine until they specifically asked if I have connections to Russia. Which I certainly do, being russian with russian passport.

Long story short - forget about opening an account in neon if you have a russian passport. Funny, but the same happened with Raiffeisen last week.

Herzlich Willkommen to Switzerland.
Russians aren't the only ones blacklisted. Try being an American in many countries for the last 10 years and counting. The banks' reasons to target these two nationalities may be different, but it sure sucks for all the small potatoes caught in the middle.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.10.2020, 12:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Brugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
Massimo has made some interesting contributions
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
Russians aren't the only ones blacklisted. Try being an American in many countries for the last 10 years and counting. The banks' reasons to target these two nationalities may be different, but it sure sucks for all the small potatoes caught in the middle.
Exactly. Chinese guys can also understand us though. The lady in Raiffeisen explicitly mentioned that US, RU and CN citizens are not allowed.

tough life
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21.10.2020, 12:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Brugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
Massimo has made some interesting contributions
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
Did you have better luck with Cler?
I was fed up and went with UBS private package + Revolut. Hope it's gonna work well.

However my employer already mentioned that they don't want to send the salary to Revolut. I remember there was a discussion in another thread.


When I came from Russia to Germany 4 years ago, I was surprised how badly developed the banking system is in Germany. However, now coming to CH, I reached the new level of being surprised. It was bad and free in Germany, at least


I am not complaining, just super funny to notice such huge differences between European countries in 21st century.

Like in Russia it's pretty standard these days that you transfer money for free to any national bank from your bank app, knowing just a phone number of the recipient. And he gets the money on his account next second. That was super handy when one wants to split bills in the restaurant etc.

And the most funniest thing is that some of the banks exist both here and in Russia (life Raiffeisen) and they operate completely differently in terms of rules, technology, operations etc. So globalisation is a fake
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.10.2020, 14:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,161
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,577 Times in 818 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
I was fed up and went with UBS private package + Revolut. Hope it's gonna work well.

However my employer already mentioned that they don't want to send the salary to Revolut. I remember there was a discussion in another thread.


When I came from Russia to Germany 4 years ago, I was surprised how badly developed the banking system is in Germany. However, now coming to CH, I reached the new level of being surprised. It was bad and free in Germany, at least


I am not complaining, just super funny to notice such huge differences between European countries in 21st century.

Like in Russia it's pretty standard these days that you transfer money for free to any national bank from your bank app, knowing just a phone number of the recipient. And he gets the money on his account next second. That was super handy when one wants to split bills in the restaurant etc.

And the most funniest thing is that some of the banks exist both here and in Russia (life Raiffeisen) and they operate completely differently in terms of rules, technology, operations etc. So globalisation is a fake
Raiffeisen is 246 independent banks - so good luck getting consistency even within Switzerland lol
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.10.2020, 16:50
Sultan of Swing's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Bäärn
Posts: 188
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Sultan of Swing is considered knowledgeableSultan of Swing is considered knowledgeableSultan of Swing is considered knowledgeable
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
Raiffeisen is 246 independent banks - so good luck getting consistency even within Switzerland lol

right, I opened an account in a city centre and moved to a suburb. I once had an issue with my phone(read no online banking as I did not have the Photo-TAN nowhere else installed) and went to the local branch of the said bank to process a payment slip. They refused to help me as I was not their client. Five kilometers distance, same brand, but nope, ain't their client.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.10.2020, 20:49
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Brugg
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
Massimo has made some interesting contributions
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
right, I opened an account in a city centre and moved to a suburb. I once had an issue with my phone(read no online banking as I did not have the Photo-TAN nowhere else installed) and went to the local branch of the said bank to process a payment slip. They refused to help me as I was not their client. Five kilometers distance, same brand, but nope, ain't their client.
LOL. This is ridiculous..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.11.2020, 22:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Italy
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
kalymnos has no particular reputation at present
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

If anybody is willing to open a zak account, here a code to get 50chf for free (i will get 50chf too): IFGFZW
You have 30 days to redeem the code directly from the app since your account is open.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.11.2020, 22:27
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,083
Groaned at 275 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 17,337 Times in 7,333 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

I closed my PostFinance account to simplify and decided to just keep the UBS account. It could be cheaper but in the scheme of things, not worth the time hassle to change. Costs now are low due to me having a mortgage with them. Will increase when I change mortgage providers, but interest savings would more than cover it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03.11.2020, 12:49
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 244
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 120 Times in 85 Posts
Dr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeable
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
If anybody is willing to open a zak account, here a code to get 50chf for free (i will get 50chf too): IFGFZW
You have 30 days to redeem the code directly from the app since your account is open.
How is your experience with Zak so far?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03.11.2020, 14:22
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,172
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,133 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

has anyone signed up for CSK from Credit Suisse yet?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.11.2020, 14:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,161
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,577 Times in 818 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
has anyone signed up for CSK from Credit Suisse yet?
(CSX not CSK)

Looks less good than Neon. The free version charges for cash withdrawals (neon is free). It's fx rate is also worse than Neons - the Headline is 0 fx, but the actual rate offered is very poor.

I guess if you want to deposit cash CSX may be a good option they let you do this in branch. If you don't need to do this I don't know why you'd look past neon.

Last edited by HickvonFrick; 03.11.2020 at 15:15.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 03.11.2020, 22:00
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Italy
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
kalymnos has no particular reputation at present
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
How is your experience with Zak so far?
My account is active since last friday... till now the only movement in my account is a bank transfer I received. Well, that was perfect, i had the Money available the same day the bank transfer has been done.

The app is very basic and easy to use.
The customer support is very good, they always answer quickly at the phone and can give you all the information you need.

The only negative point I see is that they don’t provide a physical credit card but only a virtual prepaid card (good thing that it is on VISA circuit but you need a phone that support Google pay)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kalymnos for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 03.11.2020, 22:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,161
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 1,577 Times in 818 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

Quote:
View Post
My account is active since last friday... till now the only movement in my account is a bank transfer I received. Well, that was perfect, i had the Money available the same day the bank transfer has been done.

The app is very basic and easy to use.
The customer support is very good, they always answer quickly at the phone and can give you all the information you need.

The only negative point I see is that they don’t provide a physical credit card but only a virtual prepaid card (good thing that it is on VISA circuit but you need a phone that support Google pay)
Also relevant for lots of people here - English isn't supported. Unlike CSX and Neon
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04.11.2020, 11:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 1,031
Groaned at 16 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,217 Times in 556 Posts
LuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

The trouble with these online banks is - they are online! I go to my local branch of Raifeisen, chat with the counter personnel, discuss mortgages etc. They also hold part of my share portfolio and if I'm stuck elsewhere in Switzerland, one call to my branch and whatever I need is arranged at the other branch. Transfers in and out, even to South Africa or the USA are done within a few hours of my giving the instruction.


I don't think any online bank (or for that matter some of the majors) offers that type of service?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04.11.2020, 11:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Dübi
Posts: 502
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 365 Times in 214 Posts
Jaceq has earned the respect of manyJaceq has earned the respect of manyJaceq has earned the respect of many
Re: Zak and Neon - free Swiss banking?

If anyone is looking for a free account with physical bank.. there are still some 'free with conditions' accounts with physical cards:
BCV (ok branches only in Vaud but acocunt can be opened remotely) -> you need to have some money in account to get it for free


ca-nextbank - you need to have 25k in account to have account + card for free, they have website / app in English and branch in Geneva + Zurich (possible others too - didn't check)
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
neon-free = free CHF account? ChrisNeedsToKnow Finance/banking/taxation 65 27.10.2020 10:54
Banking US citizen (2018) - USB And Credit Swiss - Docs required? Gren Finance/banking/taxation 6 08.03.2018 17:25
My luggages were stolen in Zic Zak hotel nyeast07 Daily life 18 30.05.2013 09:33
And now Germans too will have Swiss banking fun! st2lemans Finance/banking/taxation 11 11.04.2013 12:21
Upcoming Swiss National TV broadcast (ECO program) on FATCA and banking problems zuridri Finance/banking/taxation 0 15.05.2012 13:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0