Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 26.01.2019, 19:18
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,026
Groaned at 1,619 Times in 1,245 Posts
Thanked 30,194 Times in 14,417 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
Say, the UK?

Or Russia?
Russia would be easier (though perhaps after Brexit it won't mke a difference), but it also depends on what country you are a citizen of.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 26.01.2019, 19:29
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Zug
Posts: 55
Groaned at 65 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 25 Posts
MissDragonfly has become a little unpopular
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
Russia would be easier (though perhaps after Brexit it won't mke a difference), but it also depends on what country you are a citizen of.

Tom
British Citizen. Why does all of this matter? Do you not just give them an account number to send the money to?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MissDragonfly for this useful post:
This user groans at MissDragonfly for this post:
  #43  
Old 26.01.2019, 19:32
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Zug
Posts: 55
Groaned at 65 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 25 Posts
MissDragonfly has become a little unpopular
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
You can file a full tax return every year on a permit B too in some circumstances.
Possibly, but not always - and it may depend on type of permit, whether EU/EFTA etc.
You're cool, I like you. Gives me rep on every post
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MissDragonfly for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 26.01.2019, 20:11
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,169
Groaned at 293 Times in 240 Posts
Thanked 8,765 Times in 4,437 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
You're cool, I like you. Gives me rep on every post
Rep would be the grey/green/red blob on the right hand side
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 26.01.2019, 21:20
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,026
Groaned at 1,619 Times in 1,245 Posts
Thanked 30,194 Times in 14,417 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
British Citizen. Why does all of this matter? Do you not just give them an account number to send the money to?
Different rules for different countries, depending on bilateral agreements.

So, UK, you have to wait until you retire.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user groans at st2lemans for this post:
  #46  
Old 26.01.2019, 22:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Edlibach
Posts: 16
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
hongkonghorsey has earned some respecthongkonghorsey has earned some respect
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

However, note that Pillar 1 contributions are not recoverable, as these are mandatory "pay as you go" contributions which are paid out by the government to those who claim on the funds at the time, and are not ring-fenced in an individual account earmarked for the person who paid them in.

Pillar 2 and Pillar 3 contributions are in individual custodian accounts and (as Tom points out) depending on the country and your age you may be able to transfer them out when you leave Switzerland. Or, in certain circumstances, you can use them to pay off a Swiss mortgage. Unless you have made a special payment yourself there will be nothing ion your Pillar 3 account as this is a voluntary tax-free contribution, I think.

However, I disagree with Tom that 31% tax is the correct source tax for Zug residents (even those in the highest tax bands) and I strongly suggest that you check this with firstly your personnel department and then with an independent tax adviser. Off the top of my head I though source tax on salaries in Zug was around 20%, but I may be wrong and that may be out of date. It could be that they have applied Zurich source tax, in which case that 30%+ number would seem to be correct, so you may need to enter into a discussion with the company on this, if you do have a Zug issued B permit.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank hongkonghorsey for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 26.01.2019, 22:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Edlibach
Posts: 16
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 26 Times in 12 Posts
hongkonghorsey has earned some respecthongkonghorsey has earned some respect
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

This link from an earlier forum may be helpful:

https://www.englishforum.ch/682592-post9.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hongkonghorsey for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 01.02.2019, 09:35
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Zug
Posts: 55
Groaned at 65 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 25 Posts
MissDragonfly has become a little unpopular
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
However, note that Pillar 1 contributions are not recoverable, as these are mandatory "pay as you go" contributions which are paid out by the government to those who claim on the funds at the time, and are not ring-fenced in an individual account earmarked for the person who paid them in.

Pillar 2 and Pillar 3 contributions are in individual custodian accounts and (as Tom points out) depending on the country and your age you may be able to transfer them out when you leave Switzerland. Or, in certain circumstances, you can use them to pay off a Swiss mortgage. Unless you have made a special payment yourself there will be nothing ion your Pillar 3 account as this is a voluntary tax-free contribution, I think.

However, I disagree with Tom that 31% tax is the correct source tax for Zug residents (even those in the highest tax bands) and I strongly suggest that you check this with firstly your personnel department and then with an independent tax adviser. Off the top of my head I though source tax on salaries in Zug was around 20%, but I may be wrong and that may be out of date. It could be that they have applied Zurich source tax, in which case that 30%+ number would seem to be correct, so you may need to enter into a discussion with the company on this, if you do have a Zug issued B permit.
Thanks mate, you were 100% right, I followed up with payroll and they ed up -- they applied the Zurich tax rate instead of Zug. I am getting some money back next month.

Tom was too busy congratulating himself for being the forum asshole to notice.. He's gonna make another smug comment or two in this thread cause he can't help himself..
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank MissDragonfly for this useful post:
The following 3 users groan at MissDragonfly for this post:
  #49  
Old 01.02.2019, 13:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,686
Groaned at 217 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 4,699 Times in 1,815 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
Different rules for different countries, depending on bilateral agreements.

So, UK, you have to wait until you retire.

Tom
If you don't know the correct answer then don't answer at all.

You can withdraw (before retirement age) the non compulsory part of your pillar 2 if you're British and move to the UK.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 01.02.2019, 14:13
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,026
Groaned at 1,619 Times in 1,245 Posts
Thanked 30,194 Times in 14,417 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
You can withdraw (before retirement age) the non compulsory part of your pillar 2 if you're British and move to the UK.
And the compulsory part?

And pillar 1?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01.02.2019, 14:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 692
Groaned at 80 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 322 Times in 208 Posts
Clocker is considered knowledgeableClocker is considered knowledgeableClocker is considered knowledgeable
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
pillar 1
I would have thought Pillar 1 will be utilised to pay out a Swiss old age pension when the time comes.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Clocker for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 01.02.2019, 14:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,686
Groaned at 217 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 4,699 Times in 1,815 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
And the compulsory part?

And pillar 1?

Tom
Shut up Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 01.02.2019, 18:44
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Zug
Posts: 55
Groaned at 65 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 25 Posts
MissDragonfly has become a little unpopular
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
However, note that Pillar 1 contributions are not recoverable, as these are mandatory "pay as you go" contributions which are paid out by the government to those who claim on the funds at the time, and are not ring-fenced in an individual account earmarked for the person who paid them in.

Pillar 2 and Pillar 3 contributions are in individual custodian accounts and (as Tom points out) depending on the country and your age you may be able to transfer them out when you leave Switzerland. Or, in certain circumstances, you can use them to pay off a Swiss mortgage. Unless you have made a special payment yourself there will be nothing ion your Pillar 3 account as this is a voluntary tax-free contribution, I think.

However, I disagree with Tom that 31% tax is the correct source tax for Zug residents (even those in the highest tax bands) and I strongly suggest that you check this with firstly your personnel department and then with an independent tax adviser. Off the top of my head I though source tax on salaries in Zug was around 20%, but I may be wrong and that may be out of date. It could be that they have applied Zurich source tax, in which case that 30%+ number would seem to be correct, so you may need to enter into a discussion with the company on this, if you do have a Zug issued B permit.
I ended up getting 5k back from pointing out this error. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MissDragonfly for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 01.02.2019, 20:29
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,627
Groaned at 281 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 14,990 Times in 8,350 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
And the compulsory part?

And pillar 1?

Tom
Depends on your work status as if you require insurance (pension)

Pillar 1 taken as per Swiss rules, if taken before a UK OAP which is allowed Swiss medical insurance must be paid.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 02.02.2019, 10:26
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 3,448
Groaned at 51 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 5,185 Times in 2,150 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your reply.

When I say overpaid tax, I mean in proportion to the year
Do you pay more taxes if you don't work the whole year? I am coming from the UK, where you pay a tax based on how much you make per year. So if you are on a salary of 80k, you pay an even monthly contribution to your yearly tax every month. But if you stop working for 6 months, then you have been paying half the taxes of an 80k income, which is more than the tax of a 40k income, so you would be able to get a refund on the difference.

Is it different in Switzerland?
Nope. In the UK it's PAYE so each month the tax us calculated from your gross pay as if that gross pay is your "normal" monthly income, just as it is when taxed at source in CH. Any bonus received would alter the tax paid for thst month because HMRC assume that each month's pay is the pay you get each month. Obviously the personal tax allowance is factored in and there are different tax rates depending on income thresholds. However, in my experience HMRC are pretty speedy at refunding any overpaid tax as calculated each financial year. That may be the only difference.

Welcome to CH: where your money doesnt always go as far as you may have been led to believe
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02.02.2019, 10:32
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 3,448
Groaned at 51 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 5,185 Times in 2,150 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
And the compulsory part?

And pillar 1?

Tom
We got some back "cash", some can, i believe, can come back in the form of a payment towards a purchased property or mortgage.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #57  
Old 02.02.2019, 13:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 692
Groaned at 80 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 322 Times in 208 Posts
Clocker is considered knowledgeableClocker is considered knowledgeableClocker is considered knowledgeable
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
We got some back "cash", some can, i believe, can come back in the form of a payment towards a purchased property or mortgage.
From Pillar 2.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Clocker for this useful post:
  #58  
Old 02.02.2019, 13:34
RufusB's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: In my head. And UK. Ex-Basel.
Posts: 3,448
Groaned at 51 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 5,185 Times in 2,150 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get overpaid tax back?

Quote:
View Post
From Pillar 2.
If you say so, I didn't sort it personally.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get tax back after contribution to 3a pillar? hiaw Finance/banking/taxation 20 13.12.2013 16:53
Handing license plates back before MFK - how to get them back later? Sharktune Transportation/driving 4 25.11.2012 20:17
How to get back the extra tax on 13th month salary? anirbanjoy Employment 4 27.05.2010 15:48
how long to get deposit back sweeshymeeshy Housing in general 22 06.03.2010 12:33
Buying in France - can I get tax back? How? marianellen Finance/banking/taxation 1 30.07.2008 14:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0