Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 27.03.2019, 21:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 292 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,728 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
Personally, I owe Natwest about 1000 pounds in an overdraft I never bothered to repay.. and I never got any letters from them.
You need to give it time, you are only out of the UK for 3 months, 3 months mean nothing on the timescale of these things.

Assuming you keep your Swiss address registered at the UK government they'll find you when they deem the time fit. Just a combination of having to pay up negative amounts when emigrating for which I am almost certain you signed up for in their T&C's and the law forcing them to keep their addresses updated.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 27.03.2019, 22:06
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,876
Groaned at 764 Times in 522 Posts
Thanked 8,474 Times in 3,998 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
"The information that the bank holds on your bank account records shows a connection to Switzerland. Therefore, we identify you as being a potential tax resident of Switzerland. Please provide a certified copy of a valid passport issued by the jurisdiction in which you claim to be resident".



So how do you issue a copy of a valid passport issued by the jurisdiction in which you claim to be resident ?


The fact you reside in Switzerland (jurisdiction) in no way accords you any right of citizenship and the only way to get a passport is through full 100% citizenship.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 27.03.2019, 22:12
DUTCH's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 287
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 397 Times in 169 Posts
DUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
All my UK accounts are still running happily.
Quote:
View Post
Personally, I owe Natwest about 1000 pounds in an overdraft I never bothered to repay.. and I never got any letters from them.
Complete bull.

Setting aside any judgement, Natwest is going to check your UK address on their record to recover their monies, realise you are not there, escalate and set recovery playbook into action. Ergo your account is not happily running.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank DUTCH for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 27.03.2019, 22:35
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
Complete bull.

Setting aside any judgement, Natwest is going to check your UK address on their record to recover their monies, realise you are not there, escalate and set recovery playbook into action. Ergo your account is not happily running.
Well spotted, but that is not a contradiction. All of my active bank accounts are running happily. That one isn't active. Natwest closed my account because I never paid the overdraft. (I just went across the street and opened a new bank account instead, and saved the money.) I've owed them 1000 pounds for about a year. They've been sending letters to my old address for months. I get my letters, but they have no clue that I'm not at that address, leave alone not in the country.

Also what do you think "recovery action" is? They send a few threatening letters, then sell the debt to a collection agency who send you some more threatening letters, then threaten court action, then beg and plead for you to give them the money, and then give up. They can send bailiffs to my "address" but they will find nothing. if they try to take me to court, again they need to serve a legal notice to an address, and they cannot do this. Nor would they bother, not for these amounts.

Quote:
View Post
After some investigation, we believe that this was triggered when we updated our Natwest bank records with a Swiss number to receive confirmation codes ... they must have also noticed few payments made by Natwest card.
I mean, that's a pretty obvious sign. You basically told them you've moved when you've changed your primary number.

Quote:
View Post
Assuming you keep your Swiss address registered at the UK government they'll find you when they deem the time fit.
Why would anyone do this? Why would I tell the UK government, or anyone my new address? I didn't even know that is possible..
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at Feyr for this post:
  #25  
Old 27.03.2019, 22:55
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,054
Groaned at 115 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 23,415 Times in 9,020 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
Well spotted, but that is not a contradiction. All of my active bank accounts are running happily. That one isn't active. Natwest closed my account because I never paid the overdraft. (I just went across the street and opened a new bank account instead, and saved the money.) I've owed them 1000 pounds for about a year. They've been sending letters to my old address for months. I get my letters, but they have no clue that I'm not at that address, leave alone not in the country.

Also what do you think "recovery action" is? They send a few threatening letters, then sell the debt to a collection agency who send you some more threatening letters, then threaten court action, then beg and plead for you to give them the money, and then give up. They can send bailiffs to my "address" but they will find nothing. if they try to take me to court, again they need to serve a legal notice to an address, and they cannot do this. Nor would they bother, not for these amounts.
Do you plan to return to the UK?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 27.03.2019, 23:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 4,945
Groaned at 292 Times in 230 Posts
Thanked 5,355 Times in 2,728 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
Why would anyone do this? Why would I tell the UK government, or anyone my new address? I didn't even know that is possible..
Can be handy if the police needs to find you if your parents had an accident, or the notary for your heritage from whomever, or later if you need your pension money.

But hey who cares, you must be trolling anyway, nobody is that dumb.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 27.03.2019, 23:23
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 3,880
Groaned at 92 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,006 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
Setting aside any judgement, Natwest is going to check your UK address on their record to recover their monies, realise you are not there, escalate and set recovery playbook into action. Ergo your account is not happily running.
Not for £1000 they won’t. It is not worth their while. They’ll sell it to an agency, who tend to be much more aggressive about collecting and are not too worried about legal niceties. They know well if they hassle parents and siblings enough somene is likely to toss them £500 - £600 to get shot of them as it is cheaper than going to a solicitor to get them to stop.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 28.03.2019, 00:21
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
Can be handy if the police needs to find you if your parents had an accident, or the notary for your heritage from whomever, or later if you need your pension money.

But hey who cares, you must be trolling anyway, nobody is that dumb.
It's fascinating that you live in such a closed bubble of being a perfect cog in the system that you think anyone who doesn't mindlessly follow the system is "dumb".

If anyone (police, solicitors, etc.) wants to get in touch with me in an emergency they can google my name and find my email address. Although, granted, most police do not know how to do this. There is absolutely no need for anyone other than myself to know where I sleep at night.

None of your emergency scenarios applies to me, in any case. I don't have family or ties in the UK, I was just passing through.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 28.03.2019, 00:27
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
Do you plan to return to the UK?
Nah. Anyhow the debt will be written off soon if I don't repay it.

(Don't worry guys, I'll pay them back. I promise. Cross my heart. So sleep easy at night. I'll even send them cookies.)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Feyr for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 28.03.2019, 00:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,163
Groaned at 16 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 702 Times in 414 Posts
Landers has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of many
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
They know well if they hassle parents and siblings enough somene is likely to toss them £500 - £600 to get shot of them as it is cheaper than going to a solicitor to get them to stop.

Harrassment is illegal under debt collection regulations and a simple cease and desist letter printed off from the internet carries a lot of legal weight and is usually sufficient.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 28.03.2019, 01:04
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 3,880
Groaned at 92 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,006 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
Nah. Anyhow the debt will be written off soon if I don't repay it.

(Don't worry guys, I'll pay them back. I promise. Cross my heart. So sleep easy at night. I'll even send them cookies.)
When a debt is written off it just means it is no longer included in the financial statements. It does not mean it goes away. Most likely at that point it will be sold to an agency at a discount.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 28.03.2019, 01:40
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: here
Posts: 49
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Feyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around hereFeyr has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
When a debt is written off it just means it is no longer included in the financial statements. It does not mean it goes away. Most likely at that point it will be sold to an agency at a discount.
And the agency will run around in circles for a while and then give up.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 28.03.2019, 09:31
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 6,876
Groaned at 764 Times in 522 Posts
Thanked 8,474 Times in 3,998 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
Nah. Anyhow the debt will be written off soon if I don't repay it.

(Don't worry guys, I'll pay them back. I promise. Cross my heart. So sleep easy at night. I'll even send them cookies.)



Apparently the "BSB" bank is very good, i suggest you try them as they seem to be able to open accounts for almost anybody
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 28.03.2019, 09:37
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,190
Groaned at 268 Times in 174 Posts
Thanked 15,541 Times in 6,592 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tax evasion

Quote:
View Post
When a debt is written off it just means it is no longer included in the financial statements. It does not mean it goes away. Most likely at that point it will be sold to an agency at a discount.
in the uk, the debt will become statute barred after a while unless a CCJ is obtained.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 28.03.2019, 10:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kindhausen
Posts: 89
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 44 Times in 22 Posts
PitBull has no particular reputation at present
Re: Tax evasion

I've had the same letters from NatWest - I ignored the first two, replied with my TIN on the third letter, heard nothing more from them for 8 months then they sent me a fourth letter asking for my TIN !!! Sent them the TIN again plus a few salty comments - never had an acknowledgement back of course.

NatWest continue to astound me with their incompetence - only reason I keep the account is to have more than one UK account open should it ever be needed again.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at PitBull for this post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax evasion or not? smb Daily life 34 05.08.2018 11:52
When does tax avoidance become tax evasion??? Odile General off-topic 5 14.05.2014 15:22
Tax evasion discovery Bernie123 Finance/banking/taxation 15 13.09.2009 09:18
Tax evasion by U.S. citizens and residents. Plus Swiss politics/news 4 20.07.2009 20:54
Switzerland caves in on tax evasion Castro Swiss politics/news 1 13.03.2009 16:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0