Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.04.2019, 03:37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 8
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
cserdar has become a little unpopularcserdar has become a little unpopular
two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Hi all,
I have a bit of an interesting situation;
I am employed full time in the UK in my own limited company which I have paid taxes for. My company in the UK was fully operating up until I moved to CH.
I have also got full time employment here in Switzerland. The taxes are paid here at source.
I have told this to the tax of office of my munipicality and they sent me lots of forms.
Now my question is, would this situation lower my taxes that were taken at source (Swiss taxes)?
I have engaged with an account here and he said your UK employment would not reduce your taxes here which I am not fully convinced about.

Example:
8K CHF a month in Switzerland (800Fr tax per month plus the social contributions)
40K GBP gross income in the UK which I paid taxes for (plus the PAYE, socual contributions etc from my payroll).

(PS: the accountant here has already taken 150CHF of mine for his useless advise/consultation so I'm desperate for an advise!)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at cserdar for this post:
  #2  
Old 22.04.2019, 03:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 5,032
Groaned at 294 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 5,454 Times in 2,770 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Why would your British income lower your taxes here?

I fail to see the logic behind that.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 22.04.2019, 09:00
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 3,975
Groaned at 96 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,062 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Quote:
View Post
(PS: the accountant here has already taken 150CHF of mine for his useless advise/consultation so I'm desperate for an advise!)
His advice is correct. Continued employment through your UK company will end up costing you more in the end because of the additional administration costs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 22.04.2019, 09:34
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 7,044
Groaned at 773 Times in 528 Posts
Thanked 8,661 Times in 4,088 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,
I have a bit of an interesting situation;
I am employed full time in the UK in my own limited company which I have paid taxes for. My company in the UK was fully operating up until I moved to CH.
I have also got full time employment here in Switzerland. The taxes are paid here at source.
I have told this to the tax of office of my munipicality and they sent me lots of forms.
Now my question is, would this situation lower my taxes that were taken at source (Swiss taxes)?
I have engaged with an account here and he said your UK employment would not reduce your taxes here which I am not fully convinced about.

Example:
8K CHF a month in Switzerland (800Fr tax per month plus the social contributions)
40K GBP gross income in the UK which I paid taxes for (plus the PAYE, socual contributions etc from my payroll).

(PS: the accountant here has already taken 150CHF of mine for his useless advise/consultation so I'm desperate for an advise!)

So in which respect is your accountant useless ?


Oh, i understand he said something you don't agree with, so he is useless
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 22.04.2019, 09:36
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,232
Groaned at 1,623 Times in 1,248 Posts
Thanked 30,404 Times in 14,512 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

You will pay taxes here on your UK income.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.04.2019, 11:51
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 3,975
Groaned at 96 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,062 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Quote:
View Post
You will pay taxes here on your UK income.

Tom
Yap, and pay the useless accountant to do all the additional paperwork as well. Including doing the valuation of a UK private company for wealth tax purposes.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 22.04.2019, 15:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 8
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
cserdar has become a little unpopularcserdar has become a little unpopular
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Thanks everyone. Looks like there's no point of keeping my UK company up and running then as it wont benefit me anything.

I was particularly interested to know about the social contributions such as pension. The payments in the UK are fairly small and I pay a bit too much here so I was hoping reducing them a bit in Switzerland would be possible.

(PS: I only called his advise useless as the session lasted for 15-20min where I was not able to ask my questions properly which resulted me being not convinced. Sorry, I should have explained here properly!)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.04.2019, 15:31
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,309
Groaned at 294 Times in 241 Posts
Thanked 8,935 Times in 4,523 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Quote:
View Post

I was particularly interested to know about the social contributions such as pension. The payments in the UK are fairly small and I pay a bit too much here so I was hoping reducing them a bit in Switzerland would be possible.

(PS: I only called his advise useless as the session lasted for 15-20min where I was not able to ask my questions properly which resulted me being not convinced. Sorry, I should have explained here properly!)
But then you get a good amount on pension here comparatively and the amount if you get unemployed is quite high
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 22.04.2019, 16:06
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 3,975
Groaned at 96 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,062 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Quote:
View Post
I pay a bit too much here so I was hoping reducing them a bit in Switzerland would be possible.
And what's your plan for when you actually need a pension or become incapacitated?

Quote:
View Post
(PS: I only called his advise useless as the session lasted for 15-20min where I was not able to ask my questions properly which resulted me being not convinced. Sorry, I should have explained here properly!)
So his advice was useless because you did not ask the questions you wanted answered.... right got it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 22.04.2019, 16:32
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 8
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
cserdar has become a little unpopularcserdar has become a little unpopular
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Quote:
View Post
And what's your plan for when you actually need a pension or become incapacitated?



So his advice was useless because you did not ask the questions you wanted answered.... right got it.

can you stop being judgemental and sarcastic? If you have no intention of helping do something else please. I am not here to argue.

If you really wanna know, he did not let me saying he had something else to do. Of course, I would have asked otherwise!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cserdar for this useful post:
This user groans at cserdar for this post:
  #11  
Old 22.04.2019, 17:38
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 3,975
Groaned at 96 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 4,311 Times in 2,062 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Quote:
View Post
If you really wanna know, he did not let me saying he had something else to do. Of course, I would have asked otherwise!
Well that is a new one.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 22.04.2019, 19:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 56
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 20 Times in 10 Posts
Ciuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthy
Re: two employment in two countries (UK & CH)

Quote:
View Post
can you stop being judgemental and sarcastic? If you have no intention of helping do something else please. I am not here to argue.

If you really wanna know, he did not let me saying he had something else to do. Of course, I would have asked otherwise!
You have my sympathy. The core users of this forum are generally a bunch of buffoons.


I cannot help you with your accounting question, sorry.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Ciuccio for this post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Split salary between two countries? 3Wishes Finance/banking/taxation 9 13.11.2016 22:04
Two pension funds in two countries makas Employment 10 18.09.2015 10:14
Using a UK two pin electric shaver in CH Ed Pummelon Daily life 3 15.04.2012 20:52
Living in two countries possible? jeen Permits/visas/government 1 03.01.2009 12:34
Health Coverage In Two Countries? Szandor_Nostromo Insurance 10 12.07.2007 18:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0