Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.05.2019, 18:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bright Side has no particular reputation at present
Pension calculation

Hi,
I have a question regarding pension please.
How much would approximately a married person who worked in Switzerland for 25 years before retiring with a salary of 6000 CHF/month get as a pension /month ?

How much extra can I pay in the second pillar so I can increase my pension ?

Thank you.

With kind regards
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.05.2019, 18:37
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,844
Groaned at 282 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 15,251 Times in 8,476 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
I have a question regarding pension please.
How much would approximately a married person who worked in Switzerland for 25 years before retiring with a salary of 6000 CHF/month get as a pension /month ?

How much extra can I pay in the second pillar so I can increase my pension ?

Thank you.

With kind regards
Pliar 1 25/44 of nearly the highest amount possible.

Pilar 2 based on fund value
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 13.05.2019, 19:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 2,140
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

The Swiss government old-age pension can be estimated using the calculator available at this link. It can be done in English:

https://www.ahv-iv.ch/en/Leaflets-fo...estimate-ESCAL
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 13.05.2019, 19:41
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,530
Groaned at 298 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 9,136 Times in 4,625 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

Thanks, just calculated it and it is actually more than I expected (if it stays that way etc etc etc)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 13.05.2019, 20:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bright Side has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pension calculation

Hi,
Thank you very much for your answers.
I think this makes it clear about how much I would get from the first pillar.
How about the second pillar ? Any idea how to estimate the pension from this pillar ? How much extra can I pay in the second pillar to increase my pension ?

Many thanks.

With kind regards
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13.05.2019, 20:21
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,530
Groaned at 298 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 9,136 Times in 4,625 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
Thank you very much for your answers.
I think this makes it clear about how much I would get from the first pillar.
How about the second pillar ? Any idea how to estimate the pension from this pillar ? How much extra can I pay in the second pillar to increase my pension ?

Many thanks.

With kind regards
Simple, check the yearly slip you get or contact your provider. Mine sends in a yearly calculation of what could be and what was paid in. And it tells you the exact amount you can still pay in (very frustrating amount if you came here only in 2009....) (assuming you are still in Switzerland and can pay in)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13.05.2019, 20:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bright Side has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pension calculation

Quote:
View Post
Simple, check the yearly slip you get or contact your provider. Mine sends in a yearly calculation of what could be and what was paid in. And it tells you the exact amount you can still pay in (very frustrating amount if you came here only in 2009....) (assuming you are still in Switzerland and can pay in)
Thanks a lot Roegner, I am not in Switzerland. I am just making calculation in case I moved later. This means I have neither a yearly slip to check nor a provider to contact.

With kind regards
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13.05.2019, 20:32
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,530
Groaned at 298 Times in 245 Posts
Thanked 9,136 Times in 4,625 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a lot Roegner, I am not in Switzerland. I am just making calculation in case I moved later. This means I have neither a yearly slip to check nor a provider to contact.

With kind regards
Still, it had to be put on a Freizügigkeitskonto (sorry, can´t remember the english word for that) when you left the country? Contact them.

There are several threads on this and I have seen a website where you can find out whom to contact?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.05.2019, 20:38
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,122
Groaned at 78 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 15,279 Times in 6,795 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

Pillar 2 pension:

Yearly 6.8 % of what is in the mandatory pot at pension age (% set by law, might be lowered in the future).
Yearly ~5 - 5.5 % of what in the extra non-mandatory pot at pension age (% set by pension provider).
But only if you are Swiss employed at pension age!

If you are unemployed/outside Switzerland you get the lump sum (minus tax) of what is in your passage liberte/Freizügigkeits account.

Additional contributions (will go into non-mandatory pot, only possible if employed in Switzerland):
When moved from abroad: Max 20% of insured paycheck during the first 5 years after the move.
After that: Unlimited, but not more than what you could have if you had contributed, assuming your current paycheck, to the pillar 2 pension scheme since age 25.
__________________
“That’s the second biggest monkey head I’ve ever seen!”
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 13.05.2019, 21:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,779
Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 6,414 Times in 2,668 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a lot Roegner, I am not in Switzerland. I am just making calculation in case I moved later. This means I have neither a yearly slip to check nor a provider to contact.

With kind regards
Did you previously live and work in Switzerland, and then move away? If so, did you contribute to the 1st and 2nd pillar then? If so, do you have a "pot" ("Feizügigkeitskonto") of your amassed 2nd pillar money?

Or will you, when moving to Switzerland, be new here, never having contributed to 1st or 2nd pillar?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13.05.2019, 21:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bright Side has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pension calculation

Thanks a lot

Quote:
View Post
Did you previously live and work in Switzerland, and then move away? If so, did you contribute to the 1st and 2nd pillar then? If so, do you have a "pot" ("Feizügigkeitskonto") of your amassed 2nd pillar money?

Or will you, when moving to Switzerland, be new here, never having contributed to 1st or 2nd pillar?
I lived and worked previously for 3 years in Switzerland. I took the money from the 1st and 2nd pillar when I left.

With kind regards
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13.05.2019, 21:16
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 9,090
Groaned at 50 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 14,051 Times in 6,502 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

Quote:
View Post
...I lived and worked previously for 3 years in Switzerland. I took the money from the 1st and 2nd pillar when I left.
If you already cashed out, you won't receive a pension. Unless you move here and work and contribute again.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 13.05.2019, 21:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bright Side has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pension calculation

Quote:
View Post
If you already cashed out, you won't receive a pension. Unless you move here and work and contribute again.
Thank you.
I am doing my calculation in case I moved and worked again in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Bright Side for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 13.05.2019, 22:36
jaudi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: zurich
Posts: 529
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 452 Times in 212 Posts
jaudi has an excellent reputationjaudi has an excellent reputationjaudi has an excellent reputationjaudi has an excellent reputation
Re: Pension calculation

So, what you mean is - if you move to Switzerland now and work for 25 years, how much pension would you get ? Answer: anyone's guess... pensions will be reformed at some stage.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13.05.2019, 23:09
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,172
Groaned at 123 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,124 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

The official link on how to calculate your statutory pension. It of course doesn't include any pension plans accrued during employment.

https://acor-avs.ch/conditions
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 13.05.2019, 23:45
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,172
Groaned at 123 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,124 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

Quote:
View Post
So, what you mean is - if you move to Switzerland now and work for 25 years, how much pension would you get ? Answer: anyone's guess... pensions will be reformed at some stage.
No, it's not a guess.

See previous post.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14.05.2019, 10:39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: zurich
Posts: 256
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 166 Times in 89 Posts
peaky has earned some respectpeaky has earned some respect
Re: Pension calculation

Lot of good info here but it is an unanswerable question.

For pillar 1 - 25/44 of 2,300, is what you will get each month. I would round down on that and account for a lower end of that calculation. But its a guide.

Pillar 2 is 6.something % of the pot if you have annuity. But I would work it out as a cash lump sum, retire at 65 and live until 85. This will actually give you 5% conversation rate

With pensions though its best to be comfortable in the worst case scenario and hope for a better case, so always calculate or round on the less favorable side

I would definitely maintain the UK national insurance contributions, which pay out currently about £160 a week if you get max amount. And if you can open up a third pillar account here, which if you pay 6,700 a year, 25 years = 167,500 not accounting for increases in payments or interest, but on 20 year retirement life span gives you another 8k a year.

As for what will be in your pension pot as a blind guess, go with - you pay 10% and your employer matches it therefore 2 x 7k a year, 14k x 25 =350K
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14.05.2019, 11:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bright Side has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pension calculation

Dear All,
Thank you very much for your answer.
Quote:
View Post
Lot of good info here but it is an unanswerable question.

For pillar 1 - 25/44 of 2,300, is what you will get each month. I would round down on that and account for a lower end of that calculation. But its a guide.

Pillar 2 is 6.something % of the pot if you have annuity. But I would work it out as a cash lump sum, retire at 65 and live until 85. This will actually give you 5% conversation rate

With pensions though its best to be comfortable in the worst case scenario and hope for a better case, so always calculate or round on the less favorable side

I would definitely maintain the UK national insurance contributions, which pay out currently about £160 a week if you get max amount. And if you can open up a third pillar account here, which if you pay 6,700 a year, 25 years = 167,500 not accounting for increases in payments or interest, but on 20 year retirement life span gives you another 8k a year.

As for what will be in your pension pot as a blind guess, go with - you pay 10% and your employer matches it therefore 2 x 7k a year, 14k x 25 =350K
Thanks a lot for this detailed answer. I imagine I can pay pay 20% and the employer pay 10% for 25 years ?

How much taxes (%) one pays on the pension ?

With kind regards
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14.05.2019, 11:10
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,844
Groaned at 282 Times in 231 Posts
Thanked 15,251 Times in 8,476 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Pension calculation

Quote:
View Post
Dear All,
Thank you very much for your answer.


Thanks a lot for this detailed answer. I imagine I can pay pay 20% and the employer pay 10% for 25 years ?

How much taxes (%) one pays on the pension ?

With kind regards
I doubt the employer will pay anything like 10% for 25 years.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 14.05.2019, 11:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Bright Side has no particular reputation at present
Re: Pension calculation

Quote:
View Post
I doubt the employer will pay anything like 10% for 25 years.
How much the employer pays normally ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pension




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pension enquiry - Defined Benefit Pension vs Defined Contribution Pension PeterSoliman Finance/banking/taxation 21 05.09.2018 11:34
Swiss pension calculation hardtec Finance/banking/taxation 3 19.12.2011 23:26
Divorce and Pension Funds Calculation newinhere Finance/banking/taxation 6 15.12.2011 08:31
UK Final Salary Pension vs New Pension in Switzerland Nick_Stone12358 Finance/banking/taxation 4 14.12.2010 18:01
Working conditions/RAV calculation for unemployment pension/ quiting job lucy_sg Employment 5 19.03.2008 20:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0