Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.09.2019, 10:47
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sigurd has no particular reputation at present
Bank recommendation [non-resident]

I'm not domiciled in Switzerland, but spend quick a bit of my time there, so I thought it would be convenient to also have a transaction account there. I've been in contact with PostFinance and they seems to be willing to open an account for me, but they have an extra fee of 25 CHF per account for non-domiciled persons. So I'm wondering if there are any better alternatives? I'm not interested in a virtual bank, like Revolut and the like. But looking for a traditional bank with CHF and EUR accounts and possibility to interact with them in English.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sigurd for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 04.09.2019, 10:58
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 140 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: Bank recommendation

What nationalities do you hold?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.09.2019, 11:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sigurd has no particular reputation at present
Re: Bank recommendation

A Swede living in Sweden
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sigurd for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 04.09.2019, 11:02
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 140 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: Bank recommendation

With PostFinance and some other banks, the non-domiciled persons account fees can be avoided. Just domicile the account in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at Clocker for this post:
  #5  
Old 04.09.2019, 11:17
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,138
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,120 Times in 6,572 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bank recommendation

Quote:
View Post
With PostFinance and some other banks, the non-domiciled persons account fees can be avoided. Just domicile the account in Switzerland.

The bank account is in Switzerland..... it is the owner of the bank account that is not and that incurs the fees.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 04.09.2019, 11:19
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: close to the frontier
Posts: 1,018
Groaned at 140 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 597 Times in 379 Posts
Clocker has become a little unpopular
Re: Bank recommendation

Quote:
View Post
The bank account is in Switzerland..... it is the owner of the bank account that is not and that incurs the fees.
Fully aware of this. The OP would need to provide a Swiss address for the mail for that account.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04.09.2019, 15:51
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,621
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,463 Times in 7,746 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bank recommendation

Quote:
View Post
I'm not domiciled in Switzerland, but spend quick a bit of my time there, so I thought it would be convenient to also have a transaction account there. I've been in contact with PostFinance and they seems to be willing to open an account for me, but they have an extra fee of 25 CHF per account for non-domiciled persons. So I'm wondering if there are any better alternatives? I'm not interested in a virtual bank, like Revolut and the like. But looking for a traditional bank with CHF and EUR accounts and possibility to interact with them in English.
The 25chf for postfinance is the cheapest I know of. but maybe someone knows something cheaper.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 06.09.2019, 10:33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 490
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 442 Times in 228 Posts
mgosia has an excellent reputationmgosia has an excellent reputationmgosia has an excellent reputationmgosia has an excellent reputation
Re: Bank recommendation

Quote:
View Post
The 25chf for postfinance is the cheapest I know of. but maybe someone knows something cheaper.
Berner Kantonalbank charges 20/month on top of the 30/year that the cheapest account costs (Maestro card costs 30/year on top of that).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06.09.2019, 10:47
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,138
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,120 Times in 6,572 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bank recommendation

Quote:
View Post
Berner Kantonalbank charges 20/month on top of the 30/year that the cheapest account costs (Maestro card costs 30/year on top of that).
Is that also for non residents?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 20.01.2020, 13:36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 490
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 442 Times in 228 Posts
mgosia has an excellent reputationmgosia has an excellent reputationmgosia has an excellent reputationmgosia has an excellent reputation
Re: Bank recommendation

Quote:
View Post
Is that also for non residents?
Yes. Why would there be a topup charge for residents? Or are you wondering if you can open an account as non-resident, or are only allowed to keep your account upon leaving the country? TBH I'm not sure - I'm pretty sure I opened an online account with them while still living in Germany, but that was 2010 and they discontinued their money-net.ch online-only accounts recently.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mgosia for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 20.01.2020, 14:04
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,138
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,120 Times in 6,572 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bank recommendation

Quote:
View Post
Yes. Why would there be a topup charge for residents? Or are you wondering if you can open an account as non-resident, or are only allowed to keep your account upon leaving the country? TBH I'm not sure - I'm pretty sure I opened an online account with them while still living in Germany, but that was 2010 and they discontinued their money-net.ch online-only accounts recently.

Asked whether this is for non residents as there often is a top up charge for non residents.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 05.09.2019, 08:35
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 114
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 97 Times in 42 Posts
theroz has earned some respecttheroz has earned some respect
Re: Bank recommendation [non-resident]

Quote:
View Post
I'm not domiciled in Switzerland, but spend quick a bit of my time there, so I thought it would be convenient to also have a transaction account there. I've been in contact with PostFinance and they seems to be willing to open an account for me, but they have an extra fee of 25 CHF per account for non-domiciled persons. So I'm wondering if there are any better alternatives? I'm not interested in a virtual bank, like Revolut and the like. But looking for a traditional bank with CHF and EUR accounts and possibility to interact with them in English.

Use Revolut or N26 or something like that?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05.09.2019, 08:53
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bank recommendation [non-resident]

Quote:
View Post
Use Revolut or N26 or something like that?
Did you read the bit of the text you quoted where it said "Not interested in Revolut"? Everyone is a helpful genius on this thread, it turns out.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 05.09.2019, 09:02
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 114
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 97 Times in 42 Posts
theroz has earned some respecttheroz has earned some respect
Re: Bank recommendation [non-resident]

Quote:
Did you read the bit of the text you quoted where it said "Not interested in Revolut"? Everyone is a helpful genius on this thread, it turns out.
I did not! Who's got the time to read four full lines before commenting? This is internet, no brains needed to interact!

lol, totally missed, good point
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank theroz for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 05.09.2019, 09:11
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,138
Groaned at 369 Times in 310 Posts
Thanked 14,120 Times in 6,572 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bank recommendation [non-resident]

Quote:
View Post
This is internet, no brains needed to interact!

Good description
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 05.09.2019, 10:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Bank recommendation [non-resident]

Quote:
View Post
I did not! Who's got the time to read four full lines before commenting? This is internet, no brains needed to interact!

lol, totally missed, good point



You'll soon be a "Forum Legend".............if not a moderator
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 06.09.2019, 08:08
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,971
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Bank recommendation [non-resident]

This bank might be your best bet

https://www.jsafrasarasin.ch/internet/ch/en/ch_index
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non resident Swiss bank josquius Leaving Switzerland 9 17.12.2018 11:06
Recommendation for a Swiss bank account for a non-resident Swiss citizen shala Finance/banking/taxation 2 29.09.2018 12:32
Opening a Bank Account for non-resident (non-SEPA nationals) magikarp Finance/banking/taxation 3 04.02.2018 10:22
Non resident bank account leotrepper Finance/banking/taxation 12 11.04.2017 12:06
Bank account for resident&non-resident dimli Finance/banking/taxation 0 11.10.2010 14:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0