Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.11.2019, 15:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
scoobydoo1 has no particular reputation at present
single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Is this really the case ?

My son attended kinderkrippe for few half-days per week last year.
The bills were submitted as part of the tax return but the deduction was rejected.

As far as I understand, the reason was that since one parent was not working, there is no reason to avail child care (or at least avail tax deduction for the same)

I have a nice fat bill of the hort this year but i guess its also useless as our situation is still the same

Any pointers ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25.11.2019, 15:17
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,952
Groaned at 128 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 26,230 Times in 10,069 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Here it says it's only applicable when both parents work

https://www.bdo.ch/getmedia/d1518399..._nr_3.pdf.aspx

I guess it's "necessity" because both parents work vs "choice" where one parent is at home which determines the validity of claiming back the tax.

(Sorry, could only find it in German but run it through deepl for the nitty gritty)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 25.11.2019, 15:54
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 27,502
Groaned at 1,723 Times in 1,313 Posts
Thanked 31,902 Times in 15,264 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
Is this really the case ?
Makes sense.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 25.11.2019, 15:57
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,797
Groaned at 83 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 16,340 Times in 7,264 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

If both parents work it is a needed expense otherwise it is just luxury.
No tax deductions for luxuries.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 25.11.2019, 16:27
carlasmom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Biel/Bienne
Posts: 447
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 226 Posts
carlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputation
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
If both parents work it is a needed expense otherwise it is just luxury.
No tax deductions for luxuries.
Once the kids turn 4 schooling is obligatory. A younger child can also benefit from attending preschool where there are other kids to play with and foreign children can learn the local language. If that is a luxury then any kind of schooling is.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank carlasmom for this useful post:
This user groans at carlasmom for this post:
  #6  
Old 25.11.2019, 16:36
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 10,797
Groaned at 83 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 16,340 Times in 7,264 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
Once the kids turn 4 schooling is obligatory. A younger child can also benefit from attending preschool where there are other kids to play with and foreign children can learn the local language. If that is a luxury then any kind of schooling is.
Use the right tool for the job.
Spielgruppe vs. Hort.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 25.11.2019, 16:37
Elu Elu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: In the fog
Posts: 255
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 370 Times in 178 Posts
Elu has an excellent reputationElu has an excellent reputationElu has an excellent reputationElu has an excellent reputation
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
Once the kids turn 4 schooling is obligatory. A younger child can also benefit from attending preschool where there are other kids to play with and foreign children can learn the local language. If that is a luxury then any kind of schooling is.
As far as I know, kinderkrippe is not the same as preschool.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.11.2019, 16:37
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 11,269
Groaned at 170 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 16,029 Times in 6,513 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
Once the kids turn 4 schooling is obligatory. A younger child can also benefit from attending preschool where there are other kids to play with and foreign children can learn the local language. If that is a luxury then any kind of schooling is.
I'm afraid your argument does not make logical sense. Whether to send your kids to preschool or not is an entirely free choice. Therefore a luxury.

The fact that you personally believe it to be an essential is not really relevant. Unless you can find enough people who agree with you and get the tax laws changed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 25.11.2019, 16:46
carlasmom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Biel/Bienne
Posts: 447
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 226 Posts
carlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputation
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Tax-wise it is apparently considered a luxury. I’m just saying it’s rather arbitrary.
It makes no difference whether you send your child to a Spielgruppe or a Kinderkrippe in terms of taxes. Neither are tax deductible.

I’m not saying either is essential. Home schooling is an option in some Kantons.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25.11.2019, 16:47
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 27,502
Groaned at 1,723 Times in 1,313 Posts
Thanked 31,902 Times in 15,264 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
As far as I know, kinderkrippe is not the same as preschool.
Yes, it is.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25.11.2019, 16:56
Elu Elu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: In the fog
Posts: 255
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 370 Times in 178 Posts
Elu has an excellent reputationElu has an excellent reputationElu has an excellent reputationElu has an excellent reputation
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
Yes, it is.

Tom
Not sure about that.

Maybe it's the fact that a preschool/nursery school has a set curriculum?
"The nursery schools’ curriculum is set by the canton and the aim is to nurture the child’s independence, social, psychometric and cognitive development and also to prepare children for the transition to primary school. "
https://www.expatica.com/ch/living/f...erland-106588/

If I send my kids to daycare or spielgruppe they can do more or less whatever they like, the respective organization wants to appeal to parents ofc.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Elu for this post:
  #12  
Old 25.11.2019, 17:06
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,952
Groaned at 128 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 26,230 Times in 10,069 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
Tax-wise it is apparently considered a luxury. I’m just saying it’s rather arbitrary.
It makes no difference whether you send your child to a Spielgruppe or a Kinderkrippe in terms of taxes. Neither are tax deductible.

I’m not saying either is essential. Home schooling is an option in some Kantons.
I think it's more along the lines of "childcare" rather than (pre-)schooling, whereas the child wouldn't have to go if one of the parents wasn't at work.

I agree that kids benefit from being in a learning environment with other kids from an early age but it's still a choice if you are a parent at home rather that an essential if you both work.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 25.11.2019, 17:19
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 27,502
Groaned at 1,723 Times in 1,313 Posts
Thanked 31,902 Times in 15,264 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
Not sure about that.

Maybe it's the fact that a preschool/nursery school has a set curriculum?
"The nursery schools’ curriculum is set by the canton and the aim is to nurture the child’s independence, social, psychometric and cognitive development and also to prepare children for the transition to primary school. "
https://www.expatica.com/ch/living/f...erland-106588/

If I send my kids to daycare or spielgruppe they can do more or less whatever they like, the respective organization wants to appeal to parents ofc.
They are talking about kindergarten, not nursery school.

Translating kindergarten to nursery school is really stupid.

Nursery school is pre-kindergarten, not pre-primary!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25.11.2019, 17:27
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 207
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 129 Times in 65 Posts
homesick_alien has earned the respect of manyhomesick_alien has earned the respect of manyhomesick_alien has earned the respect of many
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
I think it's more along the lines of "childcare" rather than (pre-)schooling, whereas the child wouldn't have to go if one of the parents wasn't at work.

I agree that kids benefit from being in a learning environment with other kids from an early age but it's still a choice if you are a parent at home rather that an essential if you both work.
Do you know if there are exceptions e.g. if the parent who is at home and not working because of chronic health issues, which would necessitate childcare
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25.11.2019, 17:30
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,952
Groaned at 128 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 26,230 Times in 10,069 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
Do you know if there are exceptions e.g. if the parent who is at home and not working because of chronic health issues, which would necessitate childcare
I'm not sure (doropfiz would be the one to ask) but, as a guess, I would say that the chronic illness would come under some kind of invalidity payments, depending on severity. Whether or not that would give relief on childcare I don't know.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 25.11.2019, 17:38
carlasmom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Biel/Bienne
Posts: 447
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 226 Posts
carlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputation
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
I think it's more along the lines of "childcare" rather than (pre-)schooling, whereas the child wouldn't have to go if one of the parents wasn't at work.

I agree that kids benefit from being in a learning environment with other kids from an early age but it's still a choice if you are a parent at home rather that an essential if you both work.
We sent our youngest to preschool at 3 years old for three hours a day with me being a stay-at-home mom. When he started école enfantine he spoke the language well enough not to be pulled out for additional French lessons, meaning no additional tax money was spent to teach him French.

We also pay for music lessons, swim lessons, and other sports. All this might be considered “luxuries”. It that sense, any kind of education we can provide for our kids is a luxury. At the same time, it benefits our society if its members are well integrated, speak the local language, the youth are involved in music and sports.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank carlasmom for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 25.11.2019, 17:41
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,952
Groaned at 128 Times in 119 Posts
Thanked 26,230 Times in 10,069 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
We sent our youngest to preschool at 3 years old for three hours a day with me being a stay-at-home mom. When he started école enfantine he spoke the language well enough not to be pulled out for additional French lessons, meaning no additional tax money was spent to teach him French.

We also pay for music lessons, swim lessons, and other sports. All this might be considered “luxuries”. It that sense, any kind of education we can provide for our kids is a luxury. At the same time, it benefits our society if its members are well integrated, speak the local language, the youth are involved in music and sports.
I agree to a certain extent, and can see the long-term view you have, but can you imagine the massive hoo-hah if they gave tax breaks to us johnny foreigners for sending our kiddies to childcare to learn the local language but no tax breaks for the locals whose kids already speak the lingo.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 25.11.2019, 17:49
Elu Elu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: In the fog
Posts: 255
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 370 Times in 178 Posts
Elu has an excellent reputationElu has an excellent reputationElu has an excellent reputationElu has an excellent reputation
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Can someone please give me the definition of preschool and their equivalent in the swiss educational system? I am a bit confused


I checked some of the links here but couldn't find anything.
https://www.englishforum.ch/educatio...itzerland.html

As far as I know there is

Kleinkindergarten (nursery school)
Kindergarten (kindergarten)
Primarschule (primary school)

I am not aware of any additional, compulsory steps in the swiss system.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 25.11.2019, 17:51
carlasmom's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Biel/Bienne
Posts: 447
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 226 Posts
carlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputationcarlasmom has an excellent reputation
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Also, in many cases both partners choose to work, i.e. they don’t necessarily need both incomes to make ends meet. Others might choose to have one parent stay at home.

One case deserves a tax break because child care is deemed necessary for their lifestyle while others don’t deserve the same.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank carlasmom for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 25.11.2019, 17:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Leimbach, Zürich
Posts: 6,101
Groaned at 357 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 6,913 Times in 3,466 Posts
EdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond reputeEdwinNL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: single earner family ineligible for childcare tax deduction [Zurich]

Quote:
View Post
We sent our youngest to preschool at 3 years old for three hours a day with me being a stay-at-home mom. When he started école enfantine he spoke the language well enough not to be pulled out for additional French lessons, meaning no additional tax money was spent to teach him French.

We also pay for music lessons, swim lessons, and other sports. All this might be considered “luxuries”. It that sense, any kind of education we can provide for our kids is a luxury. At the same time, it benefits our society if its members are well integrated, speak the local language, the youth are involved in music and sports.
Towns like Zürich have programs to offer extra support for expat children who are behind on the local language, we speak English at home and city offered us that if we wanted to send the kid to daycare to pick up the local language they would pay 50% for 3 days a week (which beats a tax deduction)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank EdwinNL for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
childcare tax deduction




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Childcare deduction in Basel Nbasel Finance/banking/taxation 3 27.07.2018 14:12
withdrawing ineligible contributions to Roth IRA nirak Finance/banking/taxation 1 29.04.2018 18:39
LOOK HERE FIRST for Childcare/Schooling / Family Info / Help Sites Longbyt Family matters/health 1 03.01.2013 22:32
single mum needs childcare advice, zurich byronbay Family matters/health 10 07.04.2010 13:29
Tax office declined deduction of single household! Why? muze7 Finance/banking/taxation 10 30.03.2009 21:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0