English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Finance/banking/taxation (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/)
-   -   Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland? (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/296305-cheapest-way-invest-s-p-500-similar-allweather-fund-switzerland.html)

timpeterson 22.01.2020 15:06

Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
I’m looking for great ultra low cost etf investment options like the Vanguard S&P500 but it seems like you need to buy it through a Swiss stock broker which means heavy fees. I called them and that’s what they said when you are not American.

Where/how can I buy ETF with minimum fees in Switzerland? im looking to compound part of savings (100.000chf) over 20/30 years. So stable good return is important. Heavy negative return could damage the compounding a lot so less return for stability is good. Something like Ray Dalio allweather fund would also be very interesting.

But we need to get rid of the extra fees that has a heavy cut on the longterm returns.

I would like to replicate this cheap:
http://www.lazyportfolioetf.com/allo...o-all-weather/

Mullhollander 22.01.2020 15:14

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Consider opening a brokerage with Charles Schwab, London. Then buy Vanguard or other ETFs through it:

https://www.schwab.co.uk/public/schw...n/us-investing

wantone 22.01.2020 17:24

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Interactive Brokers.

https://ndcdyn.interactivebrokers.co...Selector?ct=US

shiitake 22.01.2020 17:35

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
I use CornerTrader and the fees are acceptably low. I haven't been able to locate any fee-free offerings like those widely available in the US nowadays.

wantone 22.01.2020 17:55

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by shiitake (Post 3139504)
I use CornerTrader and the fees are acceptably low. I haven't been able to locate any fee-free offerings like those widely available in the US nowadays.

Interactive Brokers

gipfelisturmer 23.01.2020 00:14

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wantone (Post 3139520)
Interactive Brokers

Not fee-free.
Custody fees go away though after 100k USD assets.
And until then all the trading fees are counted towards the custody fee. (e.g. 4USD worth of trades in a month --> custody fee is only 6USD)

But cheapest solution by far in almost every case.

bishopx 23.01.2020 10:37

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Degiro.ch is the cheapest.

timpeterson 23.01.2020 17:59

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Large variation of options, is there any agreement here to what would be good option. May I add, reliability would be important as well. I would prefer to invest directly with Vanguard since they have a strong reliable name to maintain. Low cost and reliable!!

Does anyone know why they would only offer to Americans? Seems like slot of lost clients.

fatmanfilms 23.01.2020 18:15

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by timpeterson (Post 3139932)
Large variation of options, is there any agreement here to what would be good option. May I add, reliability would be important as well. I would prefer to invest directly with Vanguard since they have a strong reliable name to maintain. Low cost and reliable!!

Does anyone know why they would only offer to Americans? Seems like slot of lost clients.

They chose to only be licensed to deal with US residents, brokers can be licensed to deal with anyone. Charles Schwab for example

timpeterson 26.01.2020 00:14

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mullhollander (Post 3139427)
Consider opening a brokerage with Charles Schwab, London. Then buy Vanguard or other ETFs through it:

https://www.schwab.co.uk/public/schw...n/us-investing

Do they have an office in Zürich? Do they have online service. Are their fees alot higher than vanguard directly?

timpeterson 26.01.2020 00:23

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Thank for the great answers.

So to sum up. What would you say is best for a passive investor in Zürich. I won't have time to research everything so just need a reliable low-cost broker like vanguard.

What do you use yourself and what would you recommend to an investment enthusiast that is not working as trader/investor.

I'm currently very inspired by this guy, and more or less blindly trusting him since i have not yet found any negative review of him are the investment strategies he recommend:
How to implements his ETF strategy in EU (still hard to decide)
https://jlcollinsnh.com/2014/01/27/s...for-europeans/
Resume of his book and investment mindset:
https://youtu.be/T71ibcZAX3I?t=1416


Is it Degiro.ch, Interactive Brokers, CornerTrader or Schwab?

fatmanfilms 26.01.2020 09:43

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by timpeterson (Post 3140761)
Do they have an office in Zürich? Do they have online service. Are their fees alot higher than vanguard directly?

They have a Swiss phone no, only online AFAIK, they don't charge for dealing so Identical costs to going directly.

Dr Mick 02.02.2020 13:43

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3139934)
They chose to only be licensed to deal with US residents, brokers can be licensed to deal with anyone. Charles Schwab for example

That's not really the case
https://www.vanguard.ch/privateinves...portal?lang=en

If memory serves me right, however, you need at least 100K CHF if you want to invest directly with Vanguard CH.

Dr Mick 02.02.2020 13:48

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by timpeterson (Post 3140766)
Thank for the great answers.

So to sum up. What would you say is best for a passive investor in Zürich. I won't have time to research everything so just need a reliable low-cost broker like vanguard.

What do you use yourself and what would you recommend to an investment enthusiast that is not working as trader/investor.

I'm currently very inspired by this guy, and more or less blindly trusting him since i have not yet found any negative review of him are the investment strategies he recommend:
How to implements his ETF strategy in EU (still hard to decide)
https://jlcollinsnh.com/2014/01/27/s...for-europeans/
Resume of his book and investment mindset:
https://youtu.be/T71ibcZAX3I?t=1416


Is it Degiro.ch, Interactive Brokers, CornerTrader or Schwab?

You don't have time to do your own homework, so you ask us to do it for you? :confused:

How about asking Google instead?, e.g., https://brokerchooser.com/best-broke...-for-europeans

klausenhauser 02.02.2020 15:30

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
I’m with DEGIRO. Works quite well. However limited number of US based ETF as they do not meet certain requirements. They do offer some equivalent ones traded on European stock exchanges

gipfelisturmer 02.02.2020 16:36

Re: Cheapest way to invest in S&P 500 or similar allweather fund in Switzerland?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bishopx (Post 3139737)
Degiro.ch is the cheapest.

By what criteria?
Can you list the fees here, for custody / forex / trading?

@timpeterson - you already got your answers.
Google 2-3 of the listed ones and check their fees (and availabilities of the ETFs you want to buy - I know Degiro stopped selling US-domiciled ones to CH clients, IB still does), and decide according to your trading plans (frequency and amounts).
We cannot decide for you.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:58.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0