Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 19.08.2020, 17:37
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 585
Groaned at 100 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 789 Times in 347 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
Wooo, that's perfect timing

Considering the oncoming financial recession , no car manufacturer stock price should go up, so there may be a bubble and taking the profit is a good call.
Sure, a kind of recession but TSLA isn’t and never will be in a bubble because there are so many different aspects to it... for the next 10 years it might have a couple of pullbacks but up will be the general direction. Even now at 1,887 it’s worth buying 50.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 20.08.2020, 10:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 764
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 344 Times in 213 Posts
Enohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputationEnohzee has an excellent reputation
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
Sure, a kind of recession but TSLA isn’t and never will be in a bubble because there are so many different aspects to it... for the next 10 years it might have a couple of pullbacks but up will be the general direction. Even now at 1,887 it’s worth buying 50.
"Never will be in a bubble"

Now that's some confidence right there! It's worth infinity bucks!

Sounds like bubble talk to me
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Enohzee for this useful post:
  #303  
Old 20.08.2020, 13:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,182
Groaned at 43 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,917 Times in 1,437 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
I have always been fan of Intel but they need to give a respect where respect is due, in which case AMD deserves fanfare with its new 7nm chips that they have nailed. New saga begins and don’t be fooled by old overrated players, think fabless chipmakers instead
Stock rose 3.6% overnight with Intel looking to do a buyback.

Hoping we see a decent day today once the market opens.
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 20.08.2020, 13:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,195
Groaned at 1,167 Times in 783 Posts
Thanked 18,963 Times in 7,352 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
Stock rose 3.6% overnight with Intel looking to do a buyback.

Hoping we see a decent day today once the market opens.
I think Intel will back up to 70+ by the end of 2021 (hopefully sooner) when their product slump has ended and they are again technologically competitive in the CPU arena.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 20.08.2020, 13:39
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,574
Groaned at 434 Times in 325 Posts
Thanked 21,235 Times in 11,166 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
"Never will be in a bubble"

Now that's some confidence right there! It's worth infinity bucks!

Sounds like bubble talk to me
It really depends on how soon shareholders expect a return, Amazon is 26 years old & still has a PE of 126. Will people really wait 50-100 years to get a reasonable dividend, currently 0%, I suspect not only time will tell.

No doubt we will hear 'it's different this time'
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 20.08.2020, 13:53
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,395
Groaned at 279 Times in 185 Posts
Thanked 17,906 Times in 7,546 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
It really depends on how soon shareholders expect a return, Amazon is 26 years old & still has a PE of 126. Will people really wait 50-100 years to get a reasonable dividend, currently 0%, I suspect not only time will tell.

No doubt we will hear 'it's different this time'
it's a growth stock which pays no dividends. if people want dividends they can manufacture a dividend by selling the stock.

it's one of the biggest companies in the world and yet is one of the fastest growing companies in the world.

obviously PE is skewed given that amazon reinvests heavily to fund growth at this breakneck speed.

if you look at the operating cash flow of amazon, you'll see that the share price has closely tracked OCF.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 20.08.2020, 16:48
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 585
Groaned at 100 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 789 Times in 347 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
"Never will be in a bubble"

Now that's some confidence right there! It's worth infinity bucks!

Sounds like bubble talk to me
It is. I made a lot out of TSLA so it's not like I just blub on about a bubble like you, I only invest in stocks I have a deep interest in and research by enthusiasm more than to capitalize from them, though I always profit in that state of mind.
And please clarify, isn't investing about gaining assets in the end or do you have the smart answer?
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 20.08.2020, 16:52
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,574
Groaned at 434 Times in 325 Posts
Thanked 21,235 Times in 11,166 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
And please clarify, isn't investing about gaining assets in the end or do you have the smart answer?
Warren Buffets no 1 rule of investing is 'don't lose money'.
Have you ever sold any Tesla? If so you can't believe your own hype.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 20.08.2020, 17:00
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 585
Groaned at 100 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 789 Times in 347 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
Warren Buffets no 1 rule of investing is 'don't lose money'.
Have you ever sold any Tesla? If so you can't believe your own hype.
Please explain as I have no idea what your point is with that question.

By the way TSLA is currently $1,929.84, heading for 2,000 possibly tonight or by the weekend... I feel so guilty.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 20.08.2020, 17:07
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,574
Groaned at 434 Times in 325 Posts
Thanked 21,235 Times in 11,166 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
Please explain as I have no idea what your point is with that question.

By the way TSLA is currently $1,929.84, heading for 2,000 possibly tonight or by the weekend... I feel so guilty.
Quote:
View Post
Sure, a kind of recession but TSLA isn’t and never will be in a bubble because there are so many different aspects to it... for the next 10 years it might have a couple of pullbacks but up will be the general direction. Even now at 1,887 it’s worth buying 50.
Have you ever sold any is the question? If so you don't believe what you preach.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 20.08.2020, 17:29
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,182
Groaned at 43 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,917 Times in 1,437 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
Please explain as I have no idea what your point is with that question.

By the way TSLA is currently $1,929.84, heading for 2,000 possibly tonight or by the weekend... I feel so guilty.
You said you "made a lot on tesla". That is only true if you sold. Presumably you only sold if you think theres a chance its overvalued atm.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #312  
Old 20.08.2020, 17:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,600
Groaned at 70 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,773 Times in 2,049 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Apparently, the people who put down money for the original Roadster could buy shares for 17 USD in return.

One share of TSLA is now worth more than an ounce of gold ;-)

I guess is will still go up a bit for the next weeks until "Battery Day" - or as long as RobinHood-traders still have a few bucks to spend at least....
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #313  
Old 20.08.2020, 17:39
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 585
Groaned at 100 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 789 Times in 347 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
You said you "made a lot on tesla". That is only true if you sold. Presumably you only sold if you think theres a chance its overvalued atm.
I have sold, I sold because I needed money, and made a profit, then later I bought more. Definitely not overvalued and I wouldn't sell now until after Battery Day no matter what. If you take all of what TESLA is about it's worth approx $3,000 a share.

..

Last edited by Hausamsee; 20.08.2020 at 18:02.
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 20.08.2020, 18:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,195
Groaned at 1,167 Times in 783 Posts
Thanked 18,963 Times in 7,352 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
You said you "made a lot on tesla". That is only true if you sold. Presumably you only sold if you think theres a chance its overvalued atm.
AIf you really think that only reason someone would sell their stocks that they have made good profit on is because they think they are overvalued then I would say you need a bit of a dose of realism.

Sometimes people just want to take the profits and maybe re-invest in something else, or just need cash out and spend the money on other more important things.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #315  
Old 20.08.2020, 18:36
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 585
Groaned at 100 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 789 Times in 347 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
AIf you really think that only reason someone would sell their stocks that they have made good profit on is because they think they are overvalued then I would say you need a bit of a dose of realism.

Sometimes people just want to take the profits and maybe re-invest in something else, or just need cash out and spend the money on other more important things.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 20.08.2020, 18:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,182
Groaned at 43 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,917 Times in 1,437 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
AIf you really think that only reason someone would sell their stocks that they have made good profit on is because they think they are overvalued then I would say you need a bit of a dose of realism.

Sometimes people just want to take the profits and maybe re-invest in something else, or just need cash out and spend the money on other more important things.
That is true tbf. Although I would still question why you would sell that stock as opposed to another one if there was an urgent need for cash. Perhaps some people don't agonise over investing decisions in the way I do (and being quite a lot younger than most of the other investors on here seem to be, I don't have nearly as much floating around).

In any case, congrats to Hausamsee for his big gain.
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 20.08.2020, 18:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,195
Groaned at 1,167 Times in 783 Posts
Thanked 18,963 Times in 7,352 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
That is true tbf. Although I would still question why you would sell that stock as opposed to another one if there was an urgent need for cash. Perhaps some people don't agonise over investing decisions in the way I do
Not every investor has the financial resources to leave multiple thousands in multiple stocks... or all of the other investments may not be as profitable yet. There are many variables and personal circumstances that go into how individuals make their investments decisions.

In the end a good profit is still worth taking at any point and provides the most value at the time you actually need it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #318  
Old 20.08.2020, 20:42
user137's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 767
Groaned at 19 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 481 Times in 307 Posts
user137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputation
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
It was about 6 months‘.
Nice, you just got yourself 3.5 free years of Switzerland, enjoy
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank user137 for this useful post:
  #319  
Old 20.08.2020, 20:46
user137's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 767
Groaned at 19 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 481 Times in 307 Posts
user137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputation
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
Sometimes people just want to take the profits and maybe re-invest in something else, or just need cash out and spend the money on other more important things.
like a Haus am See
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank user137 for this useful post:
  #320  
Old 20.08.2020, 20:49
user137's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 767
Groaned at 19 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 481 Times in 307 Posts
user137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputationuser137 has an excellent reputation
Re: Markets down - Invest now or wait further?

Quote:
View Post
In the end a good profit is still worth taking at any point and provides the most value at the time you actually need it.
exactly. I bought MSFT when it was $50, sold when Trump got elected at $78 (later re-purchased at $112, boo.)

Am I happy about more than 50% profit? Of course. Could've been more? Of course. Either way, not losing money as WB and FMF have put it, is the key. Everything else is an added bonus.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank user137 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone here invest in P2P lending? Phil_MCR Finance/banking/taxation 12 07.08.2020 15:06
invest in an other land. what about tax? danielhenney Finance/banking/taxation 13 02.06.2019 03:59
Flee Markets/Flower Markets/Spring Markets Yasmine#1 Travel/day trips/free time 2 01.06.2010 15:05
2009: Where to invest ? ? Macchiato Finance/banking/taxation 84 10.12.2009 02:04
Best way to invest amogles Finance/banking/taxation 2 30.09.2009 15:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0