English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Finance/banking/taxation (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/)
-   -   can i bank a cheque sent from the uk? (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/297400-can-i-bank-cheque-sent-uk.html)

ZurichLuck 25.03.2020 16:52

can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
hello, thanks for any help btw, appreciate it! i haven't found the answer exactly from a bit of looking around ef but it seems to be 'yes'. i just thought i'd ask here to make sure.

if i get a cheque through the post (or any method of delivery:D) from someone in the uk using a uk bank account, can i deposit it here in my SWISS BANK ACCOUNT :msncool: without hassle, and if so what is the approx fee?

thanks!

st2lemans 25.03.2020 16:54

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Fees are around CHF 50, and a one month wait.

Tom

ZurichLuck 25.03.2020 17:00

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
wow a month! thanks very much. 50chf is like a flat fee?

bowlie 25.03.2020 17:19

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
I was getting a monthly cheque issued by the UBS in Zürich (on instructions from the principal in another country) who mailed it to me in Nyon. Every month I took it to my UBS branch in Nyon who charged me f20 to cash it.

As their instructions were to issue a cheque the couldn’t just put it into my account.

I eventually got the payer to do a bank transfer but it took a few months.

Fortunately, in this case, the money was available immediately.

Switzerland doesn’t do cheques.

st2lemans 25.03.2020 17:57

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3163302)
I was getting a monthly cheque issued by the UBS in Zürich (on instructions from the principal in another country) who mailed it to me in Nyon. Every month I took it to my UBS branch in Nyon who charged me f20 to cash it.

As their instructions were to issue a cheque the couldn’t just put it into my account.

I eventually got the payer to do a bank transfer but it took a few months.

Fortunately, in this case, the money was available immediately.

Switzerland doesn’t do cheques.

It was only CHF 20 as it was a Swiss bank check, US have always run me 40-50. Pay-Pal is better.

Tom

st2lemans 25.03.2020 17:57

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZurichLuck (Post 3163287)
wow a month! thanks very much. 50chf is like a flat fee?

Yes, so fine for many thousands or millions, not so fine for $100.

Tom

ennui 25.03.2020 19:07

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
My Bank is Credit Suisse. My recent US check took 5 weeks to deposit in my bank account. The check is actually sent back to the US Bank, verified and they transfer the money after farting around for a few weeks. Why they couldn‘t just transfer it the first time without the crap....who knows. Charged chf 48 for the pleasure. Checked transferwise and Revolut - they don‘t deal with checks either.

st2lemans 25.03.2020 19:32

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ennui (Post 3163342)
My Bank is Credit Suisse. My recent US check took 5 weeks to deposit in my bank account. The check is actually sent back to the US Bank, verified and they transfer the money after farting around for a few weeks. Why they couldn‘t just transfer it the first time without the crap....who knows. Charged chf 48 for the pleasure. Checked transferwise and Revolut - they don‘t deal with checks either.

Thanks, confirms what I posted earlier, glad that I wasn't just making crap up!

Tom

bowlie 25.03.2020 20:49

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3163353)
Thanks, confirms what I posted earlier, glad that I wasn't just making crap up!

Tom

That would so be unlike you. :rolleyes:

Jim2007 25.03.2020 21:02

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZurichLuck (Post 3163287)
wow a month! thanks very much. 50chf is like a flat fee?

Cheques have to be physically presented at the issuing bank... so the cheque must go back to the UK to be presented to the bank upon which it was drawn and since they batch them and there are not many...

Island Monkey 25.03.2020 21:12

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Who the hell uses cheques these days? :eek: Even my Mum manages e-banking transfers (and that's saying something!).

ennui 25.03.2020 21:20

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3163389)
Who the hell uses cheques these days? :eek: Even my Mum manages e-banking transfers (and that's saying something!).

Freakin JP Morgan in the US.

Boomer 25.03.2020 21:20

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Believe it or not, La Poste !
I'd never seen a Swiss paper check but was surprised to get one as a refund (long story) I got paid from the Swiss post.

NotAllThere 25.03.2020 21:21

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3163389)
Who the hell uses cheques these days? :eek: Even my Mum manages e-banking transfers (and that's saying something!).

For example:

My kids were bought National Savings bonds by their great grandmother. They matured (the bonds and the kids) about 6 years ago. The NSI only issue cheques payable into the beneficiaries' accounts. Getting them sent abroad is another struggle. Only one of my three kids has managed it so far. To be fair, the people at the NSI are doing their best - it's just the stupid processes they're supposed to adhere to.

bowlie 26.03.2020 07:07

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 3163394)
Believe it or not, La Poste !
I'd never seen a Swiss paper check but was surprised to get one as a refund (long story) I got paid from the Swiss post.

I believe that is a ‘money order’ rather than a cheque. Within Switzerland it is a common way of making small payments with customers that you do not have a financial relationship with.

But now that we all have IBAN numbers I don’t think they are used very much. ???

NotAllThere 26.03.2020 08:02

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3163429)
But now that we all have IBAN numbers I don’t think they are used very much. ???

International Bank Account Number numbers? :D

bowlie 26.03.2020 09:36

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 3163435)
International Bank Account Number numbers? :D

But the numbers are not only numbers, but the Number has some numbers and a few letters.

Pedant!

LuganoPirate 26.03.2020 10:43

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
In the past, when we received cheques, we did what the bank would do, and send them by registered post back to the bank on which the cheque was issued, with an instruction to transfer the amount to our account, giving full details, SWIFT/BIC (or now IBAN) etc. This was not only quicker, but much cheaper as well.

However, be aware, that part of the charge the bank makes is the (in this case UK's) bank charge for an overseas remittance and that of their correspondent bank if one is involved.

Thankfully we don't have to do this anymore, but the link below gives some more information on the process.

https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/in...oreign-cheques

NotAllThere 26.03.2020 11:09

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3163454)
But the numbers are not only numbers, but the Number has some numbers and a few letters.

IBAN code then (let the inventors of IBAN be mocked for their inaccuracy).
Quote:

Pedant!
Oh yes! :D

fatmanfilms 26.03.2020 11:13

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 3163396)
For example:

My kids were bought National Savings bonds by their great grandmother. They matured (the bonds and the kids) about 6 years ago. The NSI only issue cheques payable into the beneficiaries' accounts. Getting them sent abroad is another struggle. Only one of my three kids has managed it so far. To be fair, the people at the NSI are doing their best - it's just the stupid processes they're supposed to adhere to.

Premium bonds can definitely be cashed in to a Bank account, can be set up online I did it for my wife 6 months ago.

bowlie 26.03.2020 11:54

Re: can i bank a cheque sent from the uk?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 3163515)
IBAN code then (let the inventors of IBAN be mocked for their inaccuracy).

I-BAN sounds much better than I-BA


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0