English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Finance/banking/taxation (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/)
-   -   Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision. (https://www.englishforum.ch/finance-banking-taxation/299373-suggestions-regarding-1st-tax-return-post-ahv-iv-decision.html)

SeafordSteve 29.07.2020 18:41

Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.
 
Hello all,

AHV IV approved my application this year ( 2020 )

I received a lump sum for prior years and now have a regular IV pension. All brutto. When earning, taxes were taken at source.

My first, post IV decision, tax return ( for 2019 ) is coming up and I am confused as to how to proceed.

Together with a Swiss friend we completed all my previous tax returns. Neither of us are too clear as to how to proceed.

For this one off, should I engage someone experienced in such matters or should we do the best we can and assume the tax authorities work thru any potential mistakes - if any?

Many thanks

Medea Fleecestealer 29.07.2020 18:49

Re: Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeafordSteve (Post 3202515)
Hello all,

AHV IV approved my application this year ( 2020 )

I received a lump sum for prior years and now have a regular IV pension. All brutto. When earning, taxes were taken at source.

My first, post IV decision, tax return ( for 2019 ) is coming up and I am confused as to how to proceed.

Together with a Swiss friend we completed all my previous tax returns. Neither of us are too clear as to how to proceed.

For this one off, should I engage someone experienced in such matters or should we do the best we can and assume the tax authorities work thru any potential mistakes - if any?

Many thanks

This is confusing. You say taxes were taken at source and then you've done previous tax returns. The only difference, if you have done tax returns, is that you put your pension in the box for pension, instead of the usual income one. Then make whatever usual deductions you had in the last year.

Also rather than hiring someone you could check if your tax office is willing to go through the form with you to make sure you've done it correctly. Once done, make a copy and then use it as your template for future years.

Landers 29.07.2020 22:03

Re: Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3202519)
This is confusing. You say taxes were taken at source and then you've done previous tax returns. The only difference, if you have done tax returns, is that you put your pension in the box for pension, instead of the usual income one. Then make whatever usual deductions you had in the last year.

I'm in the same situation. I see fields for IV and Rente.
I would have thought that "Berufskosten" wouldn't be allowed once one is no longer working. Is this not the case?

fatmanfilms 29.07.2020 22:15

Re: Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landers (Post 3202564)
I'm in the same situation. I see fields for IV and Rente.
I would have thought that "Berufskosten" wouldn't be allowed once one is no longer working. Is this not the case?

I would definitely put it in, if not accepted then the tax office will let you know :D When doing part time work when unemployed I always put in for 240 days lunch at work, it was accepted for at least 7 years. I had an advisor with a POA for my final tax return when I left CH, he changed it to 120 days! You pay an advisor & pay extra tax WTF.

st2lemans 29.07.2020 22:20

Re: Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3202519)
This is confusing. You say taxes were taken at source and then you've done previous tax returns. The only difference, if you have done tax returns, is that you put your pension in the box for pension, instead of the usual income one. Then make whatever usual deductions you had in the last year.

It's NOT normal pension, it's IV! ;)

Tom

Mica 30.07.2020 09:12

Re: Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.
 
For this year where you are dealing with the lump-sum payment and the IV pension it may make sense to have someone assist you.

It appears that you list all income (i.e. the lump sum and annual pension), however, for determining the actual rate at which you are taxed the tax office should only consider what your annual pension is. In other words, you should not suddenly be considered to have a widely inflated income due to the lump sum payment.
https://www.proinfirmis.ch/behindert...eistungen.html

I've just had a look at the tax form and there appears to be a section for:
"Kapitalleistungen im Jahr 2019
40. Auszahlung aus AHV / IV"

So either have someone from the Sozialversicherungsanstalt Zürich, a tax expert (PM me if you need contact details of a tax expert), or the tax office have a look at the filled out form.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:00.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0