Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.07.2020, 18:41
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
SeafordSteve has no particular reputation at present
Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.

Hello all,

AHV IV approved my application this year ( 2020 )

I received a lump sum for prior years and now have a regular IV pension. All brutto. When earning, taxes were taken at source.

My first, post IV decision, tax return ( for 2019 ) is coming up and I am confused as to how to proceed.

Together with a Swiss friend we completed all my previous tax returns. Neither of us are too clear as to how to proceed.

For this one off, should I engage someone experienced in such matters or should we do the best we can and assume the tax authorities work thru any potential mistakes - if any?

Many thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29.07.2020, 18:49
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,120
Groaned at 366 Times in 281 Posts
Thanked 15,895 Times in 9,052 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.

Quote:
View Post
Hello all,

AHV IV approved my application this year ( 2020 )

I received a lump sum for prior years and now have a regular IV pension. All brutto. When earning, taxes were taken at source.

My first, post IV decision, tax return ( for 2019 ) is coming up and I am confused as to how to proceed.

Together with a Swiss friend we completed all my previous tax returns. Neither of us are too clear as to how to proceed.

For this one off, should I engage someone experienced in such matters or should we do the best we can and assume the tax authorities work thru any potential mistakes - if any?

Many thanks
This is confusing. You say taxes were taken at source and then you've done previous tax returns. The only difference, if you have done tax returns, is that you put your pension in the box for pension, instead of the usual income one. Then make whatever usual deductions you had in the last year.

Also rather than hiring someone you could check if your tax office is willing to go through the form with you to make sure you've done it correctly. Once done, make a copy and then use it as your template for future years.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 29.07.2020, 22:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,459
Groaned at 30 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 849 Times in 509 Posts
Landers has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of manyLanders has earned the respect of many
Re: Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.

Quote:
View Post
This is confusing. You say taxes were taken at source and then you've done previous tax returns. The only difference, if you have done tax returns, is that you put your pension in the box for pension, instead of the usual income one. Then make whatever usual deductions you had in the last year.
I'm in the same situation. I see fields for IV and Rente.
I would have thought that "Berufskosten" wouldn't be allowed once one is no longer working. Is this not the case?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 29.07.2020, 22:15
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 17,963
Groaned at 324 Times in 260 Posts
Thanked 17,306 Times in 9,452 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.

Quote:
View Post
I'm in the same situation. I see fields for IV and Rente.
I would have thought that "Berufskosten" wouldn't be allowed once one is no longer working. Is this not the case?
I would definitely put it in, if not accepted then the tax office will let you know When doing part time work when unemployed I always put in for 240 days lunch at work, it was accepted for at least 7 years. I had an advisor with a POA for my final tax return when I left CH, he changed it to 120 days! You pay an advisor & pay extra tax WTF.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29.07.2020, 22:20
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 28,529
Groaned at 1,928 Times in 1,461 Posts
Thanked 33,691 Times in 16,076 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.

Quote:
View Post
This is confusing. You say taxes were taken at source and then you've done previous tax returns. The only difference, if you have done tax returns, is that you put your pension in the box for pension, instead of the usual income one. Then make whatever usual deductions you had in the last year.
It's NOT normal pension, it's IV!

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30.07.2020, 09:12
Mica's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 817
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,050 Times in 463 Posts
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suggestions regarding 1st tax return post AHV IV decision.

For this year where you are dealing with the lump-sum payment and the IV pension it may make sense to have someone assist you.

It appears that you list all income (i.e. the lump sum and annual pension), however, for determining the actual rate at which you are taxed the tax office should only consider what your annual pension is. In other words, you should not suddenly be considered to have a widely inflated income due to the lump sum payment.
https://www.proinfirmis.ch/behindert...eistungen.html

I've just had a look at the tax form and there appears to be a section for:
"Kapitalleistungen im Jahr 2019
40. Auszahlung aus AHV / IV"

So either have someone from the Sozialversicherungsanstalt Zürich, a tax expert (PM me if you need contact details of a tax expert), or the tax office have a look at the filled out form.
__________________
Liability for any statements hereinabove excluded! - Need a Swiss lawyer PM me.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Mica for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Return license plates to post office in Zurich? juniper55 Transportation/driving 4 01.08.2016 18:01
2 Tax Return Questions: Late Return, Quellensteuer vostok4 Finance/banking/taxation 2 08.04.2016 13:05
Welcome Post & Swiss Annual Tax Return Question ottavioMonzione Finance/banking/taxation 5 19.02.2016 10:26
New Car Decision Andrew9039 Transportation/driving 99 22.08.2014 10:37
Swiss TAX Return and Property Income from the UK and UK Tax Return edfollett Finance/banking/taxation 19 04.02.2014 17:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0