Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.11.2020, 12:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 973
Groaned at 128 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 792 Times in 421 Posts
EPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputation
Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

According to a recent decision of the Swiss Federal Court, the allowable net ROI on rental property has been increased from 0.5% to 2% above the reference mortgage rate (now 1.25%)

as an example: the maximum allowable net ROI of a 1mil apartment has been raised from 17'500CHF to 32'500CHF per year. Which after the generous allowable deductions and Nebenkosten might mean a rate of maybe 45'000 CHF for a 1Mil apt.

I wonder, will this decision have any effect on the rents, after all - as discussed on this forum already - the rental return is very low in Switzerland as compared to other countries - of course the prices are high.

http://relevancy.bger.ch/php/aza/htt...20-4A_554-2019
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank EPMike for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 22.11.2020, 12:21
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Looking at it from a purely business viewpoint, the logic makes sense - nowhere else would you be able to rent an item for 1.75% of its value. But housing is a bit different due to the limited supply, so competition is limited and you could argue it isn't a normal market so pure market rates can't apply.

I can't see how it could be implemented without causing chaos if lots of landlords suddenly try to put rates up that much.

Also perhaps this impact is only because property prices are too high, but the result of this decision is likely to just be even higher prices!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22.11.2020, 16:11
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
Looking at it from a purely business viewpoint, the logic makes sense - nowhere else would you be able to rent an item for 1.75% of its value. But housing is a bit different due to the limited supply, so competition is limited and you could argue it isn't a normal market so pure market rates can't apply.

I can't see how it could be implemented without causing chaos if lots of landlords suddenly try to put rates up that much.

Also perhaps this impact is only because property prices are too high, but the result of this decision is likely to just be even higher prices!
London rents have an appalling net ROI, probably sub 2% but then prices may fall significantly.

It's probably to allow capital values to fall, rather than anything else, most people pay as much as they can in Rent already.

Last edited by fatmanfilms; 22.11.2020 at 16:55. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.11.2020, 08:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Greater Zürich Area
Posts: 973
Groaned at 128 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 792 Times in 421 Posts
EPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputationEPMike has an excellent reputation
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
Looking at it from a purely business viewpoint, the logic makes sense - nowhere else would you be able to rent an item for 1.75% of its value. But housing is a bit different due to the limited supply, so competition is limited and you could argue it isn't a normal market so pure market rates can't apply.

I can't see how it could be implemented without causing chaos if lots of landlords suddenly try to put rates up that much.

Also perhaps this impact is only because property prices are too high, but the result of this decision is likely to just be even higher prices!
Indeed, the mere fact that mortgages don't need to be repaid maket it already quite a distorted market. Looking at the ROI on invested capital (vs. purchase price) gives a much better picture, albeit with a 3-4x leverage.

Quote:
View Post
London rents have an appalling net ROI, probably sub 2% but then prices may fall significantly.

It's probably to allow capital values to fall, rather than anything else, most people pay as much as they can in Rent already.
I am not sure the current decision would affect purchase prices (if that is what you meant by "allowing capital values to fall").
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.11.2020, 09:02
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,553
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,386 Times in 7,704 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

prices are high because rates are low. bond yields are negative and alternative investments are also already at high prices.

since you can lock in rates for 10 years or more, you can calculate the profit from the spread and discount it back and subtract this from the purchase price to give an adjusted price net of the implicit saving from low interest rates.

It's probably still high because I suspect buyers are doing a similar calculation assuming rates stay low forever.

If rates stay low for 25 years, then you can have the mortgage paid off and re-couped your initial investment within that time (or less if you buy at a more reasonable price).
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.

Last edited by Phil_MCR; 23.11.2020 at 09:15.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 23.11.2020, 16:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,875
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,061 Times in 1,897 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
London rents have an appalling net ROI, probably sub 2% but then prices may fall significantly.

It's probably to allow capital values to fall, rather than anything else, most people pay as much as they can in Rent already.
My property and my wifes combined comes to about £650k. Our net monthly rental income minus service charges is around £3000.

So for us closer to 5% than 2%.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.11.2020, 16:26
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
My property and my wifes combined comes to about £650k. Our net monthly rental income minus service charges is around £3000.

So for us closer to 5% than 2%.
Whats the area? Zone 1/2/3 or within M25, hard pressed to get anything close to that in Central London.

My parents house in Highgate N6 was not even in London in 1961, it says Middlesex on the deeds!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.11.2020, 16:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,875
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,061 Times in 1,897 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
Whats the area? Zone 1/2/3 or within M25, hard pressed to get anything close to that in Central London.

My parents house in Highgate N6 was not even in London in 1961, it says Middlesex on the deeds!
Hers is in Westferry - 5 minutes walk north of canary wharf. Zone 2

Mine is half way between East Putney and Southfields tube stations. Zone 2/3.

Have to say FMF - I never had you down as an Highgate type - proper muesli belt territory!

I presume the house is in Haringey given that it was outside London in 1961 - most of Highgate (Camden and Islington bits) would have been in London much earlier than 1961.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.11.2020, 16:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
Hers is in Westferry - 5 minutes walk north of canary wharf. Zone 2

Mine is half way between East Putney and Southfields tube stations. Zone 2/3.

Have to say FMF - I never had you down as an Highgate type - proper muesli belt territory!

I presume the house is in Haringey given that it was outside London in 1961 - most of Highgate (Camden and Islington bits) would have been in London much earlier than 1961.
Yes in Harringay, I think the cut off point was probably 'The Gate House', which is now a pub. Looks like it became part of Greater London in the 1960's.
Highgate was where I was born, my first flat was in Blomfield Rd W9, Second flat in Kensington Gardens Square W2 so Zone 1 & first stop in Zone 2.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23.11.2020, 16:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,875
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,061 Times in 1,897 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
Yes in Harringay, I think the cut off point was probably 'The Gate House', which is now a pub. Looks like it became part of Greater London in the 1960's.
Highgate was where I was born, my first flat was in Blomfield Rd W9, Second flat in Kensington Gardens Square W2 so Zone 1 & first stop in Zone 2.
Dread to think how much flat 2 would cost now.

My wife spent her teenage years in Bayswater - Lancaster Gate (the street)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 23.11.2020, 17:14
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
Dread to think how much flat 2 would cost now.

My wife spent her teenage years in Bayswater - Lancaster Gate (the street)
My first time purchase aged 21 cost £40k, I paid above the asking price, sold it 18 months later for £95k. I had done sone DIY upgrades. Mouseprice values at £880,000 The second (a duplex) is valued by mouse price £1,610,000. Had I not come to Switzerland the mortgage would have been paid off in 2010! My entire stock portfolio would also be in ISA's as well so zero tax liability!

Edit
To put price changes into perspective I don't think I ever paid less than 11.5% mortgage rate, the highest being 17%. Fixed rates were very unusual, until 25 years @ 9.9% was offered that appeared to be a bargain!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23.11.2020, 19:32
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,553
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,386 Times in 7,704 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Biggest regret re: property was not selling my London property at the top of the market. I got the agents in etc. and was looking to sell since the market was at the top, but in the end, I didn't have anything in mind to put the money into (I wasn't investing so heavily into share back then) and the property was cashflowing well and tax-advantaged so in the end, I didn't go through with it.

That was before Brexit and the huge drop in GBP on top of the overall weakening market. On top of that, a couple years later, the roof leaked and had pay for those costs and related hassles.
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 29.11.2020, 18:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CPDM has no particular reputation at present
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

switching back to Switzerland - does it make sense to invest in rental property here in Switzerland?
my quick insights so far : bank will need your own equity of say 25% to even 30%
you can not bring your 2nd or 3rd pillar chf for this

so wondering for example for a property of 850k , with potential rent 2200 chf/month would it even make a reasonable investment? (considering no major renovations in the coming 5 yrs at least... and assuming other (if any) criteria as normal... at least not extremely odd
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29.11.2020, 18:47
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
switching back to Switzerland - does it make sense to invest in rental property here in Switzerland?
my quick insights so far : bank will need your own equity of say 25% to even 30%
you can not bring your 2nd or 3rd pillar chf for this

so wondering for example for a property of 850k , with potential rent 2200 chf/month would it even make a reasonable investment? (considering no major renovations in the coming 5 yrs at least... and assuming other (if any) criteria as normal... at least not extremely odd
250k deposit and 600k mortgage @ 1%

assume maintenance costs of say 8k per year

--> costs = 14k per year

--> rent = 26k per year

--> 12k / year return on 250k + growth in property value

So without property value increase, a fairly poor investment. You can work backwards from what growth you think is reasonable to see what the property growth has to offer to make it a good investment.

You could also make some assumptions like reducing the costs or increasing the rent - which increases your risk.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 30.11.2020, 13:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 386
Groaned at 59 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 254 Times in 140 Posts
Dandy is considered a nuisanceDandy is considered a nuisanceDandy is considered a nuisance
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

4.8% pa - a poor investment ??
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 30.11.2020, 13:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,875
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,061 Times in 1,897 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
4.8% pa - a poor investment ??
As it's leveraged and thus high risk and an administrative nightmare I'd say yes it is quite poor.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 30.11.2020, 14:56
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,553
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,386 Times in 7,704 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
4.8% pa - a poor investment ??
unleveraged it is only 12/850 = 1.41% return
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 30.11.2020, 15:11
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
4.8% pa - a poor investment ??
SMI over the last thirty years grew at ~6% p.a. on average.

An investment with 4x leverage and zero diversification returning less than that doesn't look good.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 30.11.2020, 17:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 386
Groaned at 59 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 254 Times in 140 Posts
Dandy is considered a nuisanceDandy is considered a nuisanceDandy is considered a nuisance
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
SMI over the last thirty years grew at ~6% p.a. on average.

that is 6% on CHF, inflation exposed central bank money


4.8% is on inflation protected real estate.



At least CHF is a "hard" currency whereas GBP has a fall in value like a third world currency
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 30.11.2020, 17:36
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,553
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,386 Times in 7,704 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Raising of maximum allowable ROI on rental property from 0.5 to 2%

Quote:
View Post
that is 6% on CHF, inflation exposed central bank money


4.8% is on inflation protected real estate.



At least CHF is a "hard" currency whereas GBP has a fall in value like a third world currency
inflation and deflation exposed.

it's important to remember that the mortgage is also exposed to inflation/deflation of chf.

with a long term trend of lower interest rates, i wonder whether a scenario will arrive to remind people of the dangers of holding debt during deflationary environments.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rental, return on investment, roi




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
French Rental Property Tax bnbllck Finance/banking/taxation 5 16.08.2017 11:08
Setting up LLC in USA for rental property nkwal General off-topic 0 02.02.2016 09:27
Maximum allowable number of subtenants hap Housing in general 3 13.12.2015 17:15
Maximum rental period DaanNL Housing in general 2 06.09.2010 10:47
Holiday Property rental (Ski) Q's szhjcn Housing in general 3 27.08.2008 16:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0