Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.11.2020, 19:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Hi all,

Hope you are doing well.

As many here probably, I am using VIAC app for my 3rd pillar and I am 97% invested in equities. There is something going on with the ROI of my account which I cannot wrap my head around it and I would appreciate if someone sheds some light on it.

Being almost fully invested in equities, during March bottom my account was -18.51% down. As of today my account is +10.38% up. Now, using as benchmark SPY (please see screenshot attached), which has increased by 66% since March bottom, it looks like whatever funds VIAC is investing in is not even returning half of what SPY did since Mar20. Unless if they have too high managements fees or some other hidden costs which I cannot see. Am I missing something here or being paranoid for believing somethings seems off with VIAC?


Last edited by Rozelina; 24.11.2020 at 19:29. Reason: I am not sure the screenshot url will be uploaded
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.11.2020, 19:37
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,752
Groaned at 357 Times in 298 Posts
Thanked 13,219 Times in 6,233 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

If I look here:

https://www.etf.com/SPY#overview

I do not see 66% increase this year? What is it you are investing in?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.11.2020, 20:07
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Hi roegner

Mar bottom SPY price 219, current price 363. That’s a total of ~65% appreciation.
In my VIAC account I have chosen CSIF SPI Extra 35% CSIF US 35% CSIF World ex.CH 25%

Hope that makes it clear enough
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24.11.2020, 20:17
DUTCH's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 415
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 679 Times in 253 Posts
DUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond reputeDUTCH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

1. SPI (Switzerland), World, US Equity markets all behaved differently, you cannot compare them to SPY (S&P) returns.
2. Evidence of this, SPY dropped circa 33% in March sell-off, while your strategy was only down 18%
3. There is a currency angle to be taken into account. SPY is all USD, your portfolio is not 100% USD. As example CHF is about 6% stronger compared to USD in 2020.


Bottomline, nothing sinister going on in VIAC. HTH.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank DUTCH for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 24.11.2020, 20:32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Hi Dutch and thanks for your answer. I agree with the FX point, I completely missed that part. I am not sure though I understand what you mean by "SPY dropped...18%" Excluding Travel and Oil industry, pretty much everything else has doubled (in some cases tripled) price wise, with new ATHs. Donít you think VIAC funds seem to be underperforming vs VTI for example which is up ~70% since March bottom.

Quote:
View Post
1. SPI (Switzerland), World, US Equity markets all behaved differently, you cannot compare them to SPY (S&P) returns.
2. Evidence of this, SPY dropped circa 33% in March sell-off, while your strategy was only down 18%
3. There is a currency angle to be taken into account. SPY is all USD, your portfolio is not 100% USD. As example CHF is about 6% stronger compared to USD in 2020.


Bottomline, nothing sinister going on in VIAC. HTH.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.11.2020, 21:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,736
Groaned at 38 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,171 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Quote:
View Post
Hi Dutch and thanks for your answer. I agree with the FX point, I completely missed that part. I am not sure though I understand what you mean by "SPY dropped...18%" Excluding Travel and Oil industry, pretty much everything else has doubled (in some cases tripled) price wise, with new ATHs. Don’t you think VIAC funds seem to be underperforming vs VTI for example which is up ~70% since March bottom.
VTI started the year at 164.98 - now its 187.61 - an increase of 13.71% in USD. SP500 is 12.30% up YTD

You are 10.38% up in CHF according to your original post - so something like 16% up in USD given the abovementioned 6% strengthening of the franc. IE you have actually overperformed both VTI and SPY - and with less volatility, generally considered a good thing (you went down less but up less).

16% in USD is a good performance.

I'm up 11.97% in CHF in my VIAC so similar - I put some in NASDAQ explaining the difference.

Last edited by HickvonFrick; 24.11.2020 at 21:34.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 24.11.2020, 21:29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 263
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 135 Times in 92 Posts
Dr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeableDr Mick is considered knowledgeable
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Quote:
View Post
Hi Dutch and thanks for your answer. I agree with the FX point, I completely missed that part. I am not sure though I understand what you mean by "SPY dropped...18%" Excluding Travel and Oil industry, pretty much everything else has doubled (in some cases tripled) price wise, with new ATHs. Donít you think VIAC funds seem to be underperforming vs VTI for example which is up ~70% since March bottom.
-20% to +10% requires a ~35% price appreciation, assuming no fresh money has been added. Is that the case?
Also, your US exposure is 35% + 2/3 * 25% ~= 52%, that is, approximately half that of SPY/VTI.

Finally, and this is rather important, bear in mind that rebalancing occurs every month. How have non-US stocks performed this year?

Not everything apart from oil and travel has doubled. As an example, the STOXX Europe 600 index is down ~5% YTD in Euro (this index is overweight on banks/financials)
https://www.ishares.com/ch/individua...ts-etf-de-fund
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dr Mick for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 25.11.2020, 08:20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 473
Groaned at 16 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 243 Times in 139 Posts
poot is considered knowledgeablepoot is considered knowledgeablepoot is considered knowledgeable
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

You can always change to a personally-selected portfolio, then you see exactly which funds you're in and the % allocation. But as someone mentioned, rebalancing does occur. And this option is not really for less experienced investors
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank poot for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 25.11.2020, 10:31
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,786
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,577 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Quote:
View Post
-20% to +10% requires a ~35% price appreciation, assuming no fresh money has been added. Is that the case?
Also, your US exposure is 35% + 2/3 * 25% ~= 52%, that is, approximately half that of SPY/VTI.
Adding to that: The selected "CSIF US ESG Ė Pension Fund" does not reflect the S&P 500. That would be "iShares Core S&P 500" or a bit broader, but not as broad as VTI the "UBS ETF MSCI USA SRI"
https://viac.ch/en/pillar-3a/strategies/

"CSIF US ESG Ė Pension Fund" tracks the MSCI USA ESG Leaders
https://www.msci.com/documents/10199...2-3c0ec1f38dd5
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 26.11.2020, 09:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 664
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 515 Times in 271 Posts
gipfelisturmer has an excellent reputationgipfelisturmer has an excellent reputationgipfelisturmer has an excellent reputationgipfelisturmer has an excellent reputation
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Quote:
View Post
As many here probably, I am using VIAC app for my 3rd pillar and I am 97% invested in equities.

...

using as benchmark SPY (please see screenshot attached), which has increased by 66% since March bottom, it looks like whatever funds VIAC is investing in is not even returning half of what SPY did since Mar20.
Well, quite simple really.

Global 100 (97% stocks) contains less than 32% of US (the fund that ASITUS above linked to).
So you only got roughly 1/3 of the US (mental) rise, and then whatever else might have been tacked on by CH, rest of the developed and emerging world.

Was that not obvious to you when you were choosing the allocation strategy?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank gipfelisturmer for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 27.11.2020, 20:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Thank you all for your inputs. Very helpful.

Yes I agree World and CH has not followed the same pattern such as US which is only a part of my exposure.

Which individual strategy would you guys recommend (which funds specifically from the ones available) to be as close as possible to VTI? I know I need to stick with minimum 35% allocated to CH, but I would like the rest 60% focused on US. Do you think moving everything from CSIF US – Pension Fund and CSIF World ex CH – Pension Fund to iShares Core S&P 500 would be a better option considering though the higher TER I would need to pay for it?

On a side note, I agree that US stock market has been going mental since March bottom, but I am not gonna fight the trend.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 27.11.2020, 21:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,736
Groaned at 38 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,171 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Quote:
View Post
Thank you all for your inputs. Very helpful.

Yes I agree World and CH has not followed the same pattern such as US which is only a part of my exposure.

Which individual strategy would you guys recommend (which funds specifically from the ones available) to be as close as possible to VTI? I know I need to stick with minimum 35% allocated to CH, but I would like the rest 60% focused on US. Do you think moving everything from CSIF US – Pension Fund and CSIF World ex CH – Pension Fund to iShares Core S&P 500 would be a better option considering though the higher TER I would need to pay for it?

On a side note, I agree that US stock market has been going mental since March bottom, but I am not gonna fight the trend.
For vti i think us Pension fund would be closest. Us Pension fund and sp500 will be very similar but the former is a bit cheaper and I suspect a marginally better performer as it includes smaller companies.

I'd personally maximise NASDAQ then us pension fund and for the Swiss equities I'd choose exclusively small cap. That's for seeking the highest performance.

Next year I'm going for finpension which seems to be an improvement on viac. 99 rather than 97% equities and no fx fees.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 28.11.2020, 00:22
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Quote:
View Post
For vti i think us Pension fund would be closest. Us Pension fund and sp500 will be very similar but the former is a bit cheaper and I suspect a marginally better performer as it includes smaller companies.

I'd personally maximise NASDAQ then us pension fund and for the Swiss equities I'd choose exclusively small cap. That's for seeking the highest performance.

Next year I'm going for finpension which seems to be an improvement on viac. 99 rather than 97% equities and no fx fees.
Is Finpesion a new player in the market? Never heard of them. Mind giving a bit more info about them on how they compete with VIAC?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28.11.2020, 01:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,736
Groaned at 38 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,171 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Quote:
View Post
Is Finpesion a new player in the market? Never heard of them. Mind giving a bit more info about them on how they compete with VIAC?
Yup it's brand new.

https://thepoorswiss.com/finpension-3a-review/

See especially the not at the bottom discussing the advantages over VIAC
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 28.11.2020, 11:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Rozelina has no particular reputation at present
Re: VIAC 3rd Pillar - ROI seems off

Quote:
View Post
Yup it's brand new.

https://thepoorswiss.com/finpension-3a-review/

See especially the not at the bottom discussing the advantages over VIAC
Seems very good to me. Thepoorswiss articles always have great content. Lower fees overall and freedom to invest 99% in equities. Glad to see some new players heating up the competition.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New form 8938: how to report 2nd pillar / 3a pillar accounts?? rog Finance/banking/taxation 11 23.03.2021 19:17
VIAC thread deleted? Yarg Finance/banking/taxation 15 02.11.2020 22:36
pillar 1 and Pillar 2 related questions Kewlswiss Finance/banking/taxation 13 28.11.2019 20:09
Extra payments to pillar 2, or pillar 3a? cransom Finance/banking/taxation 9 16.08.2017 20:01
Pay into 2nd pillar whilst drawing on 3rd pillar jaudi Finance/banking/taxation 19 12.07.2011 09:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0