Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #781  
Old 20.07.2021, 15:22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 327
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 509 Times in 209 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
EWI owns a lot of smaller companies, but isn't really a proper small cap fund. It owns Tesla for a start!

SMT owns a lot of private equity that still has a lot of growth in the tank (even if not small).

Don't think that there is a pure play global small gap in BG. EWI is the closest.
Indeed, I only found Shin Nippon or the English or Japanese smaller companies funds. Not quite what Iím after I donít think. EWI looks good and SMT too if it werenít for Tesla

Of all their offerings the one that tempts me most is PHI.
Reply With Quote
  #782  
Old 21.07.2021, 15:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,529
Groaned at 51 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,645 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, I only found Shin Nippon or the English or Japanese smaller companies funds. Not quite what Iím after I donít think. EWI looks good and SMT too if it werenít for Tesla

Of all their offerings the one that tempts me most is PHI.
The Tesla share isn't huge, especially after significant price falls I wouldn't let that individually put you off.
Reply With Quote
  #783  
Old 21.07.2021, 21:19
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,869
Groaned at 62 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,471 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Why I don't like index funds.
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-market-2020-4
Reply With Quote
  #784  
Old 21.07.2021, 23:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,529
Groaned at 51 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,645 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
The article suggests that narrow breadth is bad for future returnn no s. Following that we had an extremely strong 12m !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #785  
Old 22.07.2021, 02:08
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,430
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,156 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
The article suggests that narrow breadth is bad for future returnn no s. Following that we had an extremely strong 12m !
breadth can be a useful indicator, if very narrow, then we get a stretched market as in the last years where there were a handful of winners carrying the rest of the market. but this can correct through the rest of the market catching up rather than the winners reversing.

in the same way a large and growing P/E ratio can stretch the limits of what is sustainable, but it can correct through growing earnings rather than a fall in valuation.

anyway more earnings are coming and i suspect the analysts are quite far behind what the actual earnings will be.
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #786  
Old 22.07.2021, 09:22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 327
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 509 Times in 209 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
The Tesla share isn't huge, especially after significant price falls I wouldn't let that individually put you off.
The problem is Iím stubborn
Reply With Quote
  #787  
Old 22.07.2021, 09:35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 327
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 509 Times in 209 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
I don’t pay too much attention to financial news. It’s dangerous. A few words from Jason Zweig (full article here):

Quote:
If you are a trader, change is just about the only thing that matters: Your results come from properly anticipating short-term change. But if you are an investor, change is likely to matter very little: Your results should come not from anticipating changes in the financial markets, but from avoiding changes in your own plan.

As a result, being an intelligent consumer of financial news is harder than it sounds. You must remain well-informed, but you must also resist the temptation to respond to every twitch and tic the markets make. That temptation can become overpowering during market crashes, when you will feel you have no control over the chaos and almost any noise in the data will feel like a “trend.”
And Goldman Sachs. The clue is in the name! You can be sure Goldman’s sack will be open when the time comes to snap up equities at a discount. Remember, bear markets are where equities transfer to their rightful owners
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Polymath for this useful post:
  #788  
Old 22.07.2021, 11:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,529
Groaned at 51 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,645 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
The problem is Iím stubborn
Could you hedge the Tesla position by options or whatever?
Reply With Quote
  #789  
Old 22.07.2021, 12:08
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 327
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 509 Times in 209 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
Could you hedge the Tesla position by options or whatever?
I guess you could but itís not something I will be doing. The reality is BG were seemingly right about Tesla, at least from the standpoint of yielding returns.

Iím just reminded of the adage that if you wouldnít consider investing everything you have into a particular investment then itís probably not worth investing in at all. Iíd put everything I have into Microsoft if I had to but not Tesla.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Polymath for this useful post:
  #790  
Old 22.07.2021, 17:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,529
Groaned at 51 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,645 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
I guess you could but itís not something I will be doing. The reality is BG were seemingly right about Tesla, at least from the standpoint of yielding returns.

Iím just reminded of the adage that if you wouldnít consider investing everything you have into a particular investment then itís probably not worth investing in at all. Iíd put everything I have into Microsoft if I had to but not Tesla.
Absolutely. And when everyone on here was saying theyd sell at 400, they hung on until the very top, selling over half their position at 800. I think they've earnt trust.
Reply With Quote
  #791  
Old 22.07.2021, 19:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,529
Groaned at 51 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,645 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Big drop today for Unilever.

I just don't like food and drink brands as investments. I'd prefer FS if it didn't have Diageo, Brown Forman (what happened to don't overpay), Unilever. They are plodders that'll hold in a downturn but detract from long term performance.

Interestingly Smiths personal portfolio is rather more growth orientated than FS.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investin...iftigniter-rhr

He owns significant amounts of Servicedesk, Adobe, Synopsis and Heico.

I guess his personal portfolio is more similar to mine it's balance of growth and quality than it is to the pure quality play that is FS
Reply With Quote
  #792  
Old 22.07.2021, 19:43
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,999
Groaned at 449 Times in 343 Posts
Thanked 22,278 Times in 11,530 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
Big drop today for Unilever.

I just don't like food and drink brands as investments. I'd prefer FS if it didn't have Diageo, Brown Forman (what happened to don't overpay), Unilever. They are plodders that'll hold in a downturn but detract from long term performance.

Interestingly Smiths personal portfolio is rather more growth orientated than FS.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investin...iftigniter-rhr

He owns significant amounts of Servicedesk, Adobe, Synopsis and Heico.

I guess his personal portfolio is more similar to mine it's balance of growth and quality than it is to the pure quality play that is FS
He has over £500,000,000 in Fundsmith
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #793  
Old 22.07.2021, 20:41
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,430
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,156 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
Big drop today for Unilever.

I just don't like food and drink brands as investments. I'd prefer FS if it didn't have Diageo, Brown Forman (what happened to don't overpay), Unilever. They are plodders that'll hold in a downturn but detract from long term performance.

Interestingly Smiths personal portfolio is rather more growth orientated than FS.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/investin...iftigniter-rhr

He owns significant amounts of Servicedesk, Adobe, Synopsis and Heico.

I guess his personal portfolio is more similar to mine it's balance of growth and quality than it is to the pure quality play that is FS
interesting to see a lot of those are on my list. sadly, i didn't buy service now or synopsis as i always found it 'too expensive'. also sad that i sold microsoft, adobe and intu! "do nothing" is definitely the hardest part...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #794  
Old 23.07.2021, 09:53
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,869
Groaned at 62 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,471 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
I donít pay too much attention to financial news. Itís dangerous. A few words from Jason Zweig (full article here):
Don't think it's something to just be lightly ignored. Fact is 20% of the S&P 500 is composed of only 5 techs. With everybody including the maid and gardner jumping on the bandwagen of index funds, me myself and I am not. When the janitor at work starts giving financial advice that when it's time to jump ship. I myself have no desire to pour my hard-earned franks into the google and co money pit.
Reply With Quote
  #795  
Old 23.07.2021, 09:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,529
Groaned at 51 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,645 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
Don't think it's something to just be lightly ignored. Fact is 20% of the S&P 500 is composed of only 5 techs. With everybody including the maid and gardner jumping on the bandwagen of index funds, me myself and I am not. When the janitor at work starts giving financial advice that when it's time to jump ship. I myself have no desire to pour my hard-earned franks into the google and co money pit.
Top 5 of most active funds is also more than 20% though - what do you own?
Reply With Quote
  #796  
Old 23.07.2021, 10:10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 327
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 509 Times in 209 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
Don't think it's something to just be lightly ignored. Fact is 20% of the S&P 500 is composed of only 5 techs. With everybody including the maid and gardner jumping on the bandwagen of index funds, me myself and I am not. When the janitor at work starts giving financial advice that when it's time to jump ship. I myself have no desire to pour my hard-earned franks into the google and co money pit.
I believe we touched on index funds and price discovery earlier in the thread.

In any case, best of luck timing the market. Please let us know when we reach the bottom, thanks.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Polymath for this useful post:
  #797  
Old 23.07.2021, 10:30
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,869
Groaned at 62 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,471 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
Top 5 of most active funds is also more than 20% though - what do you own?
It's what I don't own that matters. And I don't have any MSFT, AAPL, AMZN, GOOGL or FB. And I have no intention in buying any of em directly or indirectly. Mostly keep clear of the biggies of the biggies.
Reply With Quote
  #798  
Old 23.07.2021, 10:33
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,869
Groaned at 62 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,758 Times in 1,471 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
I believe we touched on index funds and price discovery earlier in the thread.

In any case, best of luck timing the market. Please let us know when we reach the bottom, thanks.
Don't worry. You'll see it for yourself. Just remember, the bigger they are the harder they may fall. In the end the fundamentals will rule.

Last edited by robBob; 23.07.2021 at 10:44.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #799  
Old 23.07.2021, 16:25
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: geneve
Posts: 132
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 54 Posts
jim1 has an excellent reputationjim1 has an excellent reputationjim1 has an excellent reputationjim1 has an excellent reputation
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

FS at all time high at noon today. Does anyone know if the fund has much Unilever at all?
Reply With Quote
  #800  
Old 23.07.2021, 18:17
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,999
Groaned at 449 Times in 343 Posts
Thanked 22,278 Times in 11,530 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Equity Portfolio Advice

Quote:
View Post
FS at all time high at noon today. Does anyone know if the fund has much Unilever at all?
Being at an all time high is a very regular occurrence for a fund that grew at 18.7% since inception.

Unilever is not a top 10 holding.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
fundsmith, investing, smithson, stocks




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Equity Transfer of house sale in UK to CHF ballum Finance/banking/taxation 25 16.08.2018 23:17
Tax on equity earnings SarcasmXXL Finance/banking/taxation 23 31.10.2017 08:29
Anyone in Venture Capital or Private Equity? stamplover Business & entrepreneur 0 05.08.2015 19:43
Releasing equity in UK to buy an appartment in Switzerland Chester Housing in general 4 19.04.2007 19:03
Equity Investing - The DIY Route hbunny Finance/banking/taxation 3 10.12.2006 20:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0