Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.12.2020, 18:47
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: VS
Posts: 109
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 44 Posts
alexyalmtl is considered knowledgeablealexyalmtl is considered knowledgeablealexyalmtl is considered knowledgeable
Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Hi all,

I had accumulated a number of miles with Miles & More. Given the situation, haven't travelled much recently and tranches of my miles begin to expire in March 2021. A provisory solution would be to take a credit card affiliated with Miles & More but I haven't seen any good offers. E.g., one year without fees.
Is anyone aware of a good offer?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.12.2020, 19:04
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,340
Groaned at 379 Times in 317 Posts
Thanked 14,599 Times in 6,749 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

What is your Miles and More status? I have mine for free, Amex and Mastercard
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 30.12.2020, 19:40
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: VS
Posts: 109
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 44 Posts
alexyalmtl is considered knowledgeablealexyalmtl is considered knowledgeablealexyalmtl is considered knowledgeable
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Quote:
View Post
What is your Miles and More status? I have mine for free, Amex and Mastercard
Ah, no status despite a fair number of miles. I'm pooled with my girlfriend who is a frequent flyer but -- correct me if I'm wrong -- whatever she does will not prevent the expiration of _my_ miles.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.12.2020, 21:00
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

How many do you have? If it's a reasonable number you can cash them in for store vouchers, although flights are a better deal.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.12.2020, 21:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 6,052
Groaned at 348 Times in 251 Posts
Thanked 8,305 Times in 3,891 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Isn’t it any activity on the account? Just go to the Swiss shop and buy something with your miles.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 31.12.2020, 01:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Never quite understood the appeal of miles and more. Hard to earn points and expensive to redeem. Much prefer Avios.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 31.12.2020, 09:59
Shinigami's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gland, Switzerland
Posts: 827
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 239 Posts
Shinigami has a reputation beyond reputeShinigami has a reputation beyond reputeShinigami has a reputation beyond reputeShinigami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

If you use your CC's, they don't expire. It includes a cost to get and renew them, BUT there are occasionally deals to get them much cheaper or they come with a bonus miles (occasionally up to 20k or 30k if I recall). Renewal can be had for free if you use them enough and give them a call asking for free renewal.

I had over a millions miles a few years back, redeemed them for a round the world trip in Business and First for my honeymoon (Singapore, Australia, Japan, Hawaii etc...). I'm now back to about half a million miles, also about the same on Avios.
__________________
"Mommy, mommy! That man has ears!"
"Yes dear, we all have ears..."
"But mommy, he has CAT ears!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31.12.2020, 10:06
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: VS
Posts: 109
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 44 Posts
alexyalmtl is considered knowledgeablealexyalmtl is considered knowledgeablealexyalmtl is considered knowledgeable
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Yeah, only talking about ca. 200k miles. I wanted to find one of those cards with bonus miles and free first year but I haven't found any yet. Maybe in the spring.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31.12.2020, 10:08
Izzt89's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zurich, Zug
Posts: 152
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 139 Posts
Izzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

I had accumulated a number of miles with Miles & More. Given the situation, haven't travelled much recently and tranches of my miles begin to expire in March 2021. A provisory solution would be to take a credit card affiliated with Miles & More but I haven't seen any good offers. E.g., one year without fees.
Is anyone aware of a good offer?
Did you check recently the 'expiration date' of the points? Worth also a call to their customer service about it -

I got a notification from Swiss (& also Lufthansa) stating that, due to the 2020's situation, status, miles, expirations, benefits, etc were automatically extended one year. Idem with Hilton Honor points. I am a Senator / Platinum , but I guess it works for everybody, because they could actually not provide the services during this year (scarcity of flights and closed hotels).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Izzt89 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 31.12.2020, 10:52
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,298
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,311 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, only talking about ca. 200k miles. I wanted to find one of those cards with bonus miles and free first year but I haven't found any yet. Maybe in the spring.
I‘d have thought it‘s unlikely to get both. The legal maximum interest rate in Switzerland is very low compared to average rates (at least in the UK and US), which makes it less profitable for the issuers, so they make up for it with annual fees.

AFAIK for Miles and More cards in Switzerland, your choices are Swisscard and Cornercard. Cornercard‘s annual fee is cheaper, as are there transaction fees, so I went with their cheapest classic card. A few times this year they‘ve sent me texts saying that the mileage accrual rate is 1:1 instead of 1:2. They‘ve also sent me a Diners Card free of charge in the past. I think I‘ve used it twice!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01.01.2021, 16:51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 488
Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 249 Times in 144 Posts
poot is considered knowledgeablepoot is considered knowledgeablepoot is considered knowledgeable
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Get a Cornercard Miles and More card. They are great and are independent from the Swisscard (Credit Suisse) setup which does the other cards, and are a pain to deal with.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01.01.2021, 17:14
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Quote:
View Post
I‘d have thought it‘s unlikely to get both. The legal maximum interest rate in Switzerland is very low compared to average rates (at least in the UK and US), which makes it less profitable for the issuers, so they make up for it with annual fees.

AFAIK for Miles and More cards in Switzerland, your choices are Swisscard and Cornercard. Cornercard‘s annual fee is cheaper, as are there transaction fees, so I went with their cheapest classic card. A few times this year they‘ve sent me texts saying that the mileage accrual rate is 1:1 instead of 1:2. They‘ve also sent me a Diners Card free of charge in the past. I think I‘ve used it twice!
Amex Gold is free first year. Don't know if you convert into miles and more
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01.01.2021, 18:29
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,298
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,311 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Quote:
View Post
Amex Gold is free first year. Don't know if you convert into miles and more
I‘ve looked all over the Swiss miles and more credit card website and don‘t see anything about the first year of the gold card being free. Can you share a link please? Cornercard don‘t offer Amex, so assume this is what you mean?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01.01.2021, 18:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Quote:
View Post
I‘ve looked all over the Swiss miles and more credit card website and don‘t see anything about the first year of the gold card being free. Can you share a link please? Cornercard don‘t offer Amex, so assume this is what you mean?
https://www.americanexpress.ch/en/ca...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You earn "membership reward points" which convert into various airline points. This being Switzerland the conversion rate is terrible. But nevertheless "free" points.

Last edited by HickvonFrick; 01.01.2021 at 18:53.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.01.2021, 19:49
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,298
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,311 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Quote:
View Post
https://www.americanexpress.ch/en/ca...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

You earn "membership reward points" which convert into various airline points. This being Switzerland the conversion rate is terrible. But nevertheless "free" points.
That’s not what the OP is looking for though. He’s looking for a card affiliated with the Miles and More programme, so that the miles don’t expire.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 01.01.2021, 20:32
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: VS
Posts: 109
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 69 Times in 44 Posts
alexyalmtl is considered knowledgeablealexyalmtl is considered knowledgeablealexyalmtl is considered knowledgeable
Re: Looking for a deal credit card Miles & more

Quote:
View Post
Did you check recently the 'expiration date' of the points? Worth also a call to their customer service about it -

I got a notification from Swiss (& also Lufthansa) stating that, due to the 2020's situation, status, miles, expirations, benefits, etc were automatically extended one year. Idem with Hilton Honor points. I am a Senator / Platinum , but I guess it works for everybody, because they could actually not provide the services during this year (scarcity of flights and closed hotels).
According to the FAQ, your status is the reason.

'Les Miles de prime des membres justifiant du statut Frequent Travellers, Senators ou HON Circle restent valables durant toute la période de validité de leur statut. L’expiration des Miles n’est réactivée qu’en cas de perte du statut. Les Miles cumulés avant ou en cours d’adhésion au statut restent valables pendant 36 mois à compter de cette date et expirent en fin de trimestre.'

https://www.miles-and-more.com/ch/fr...rotection.html
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss credit cards - air miles, reward points? MDP Finance/banking/taxation 76 08.07.2019 20:33
More flight miles than you could ever used? Going back home, lets strike a deal! Candy-BOS-MA Travel/day trips/free time 7 16.12.2014 12:04
Question re: credit card for airline miles genevainseptember Finance/banking/taxation 16 16.08.2013 14:49
which suiss credit card for earning miles? camnob Finance/banking/taxation 12 03.08.2010 18:01
Miles and more credit cards Spacey Finance/banking/taxation 1 03.01.2009 21:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0