Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24.03.2021, 20:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: basel
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
qazwsxedc has no particular reputation at present
Profit tax

Hello, may I know the presentage of tax that I have to pay for my interests from stock, monthly divided from bond and also the profit that I earn after selling stocks.


I just heard from my friend from Austria, he paid 27.5% which his bank will directly send it to the tax dept, so 1000 profit he earned, he pay 275 EUR
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24.03.2021, 20:50
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,095
Groaned at 209 Times in 186 Posts
Thanked 18,997 Times in 7,738 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Profit tax

Stock and bond income is taxed as income. It's taxed at whatever your top rate of tax is.

Profits are not taxed. However, wealth is.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24.03.2021, 20:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: basel
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
qazwsxedc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Profit tax

good to know, thanks a lot
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25.03.2021, 00:41
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,384
Groaned at 24 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 1,025 Times in 607 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Profit tax

Quote:
View Post
I just heard from my friend from Austria, he paid 27.5% which his bank will directly send it to the tax dept, so 1000 profit he earned, he pay 275 EUR
that's a withholding tax, he will get it back and be taxed normally afterwards, this also exists in switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.03.2021, 08:28
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,393
Groaned at 206 Times in 163 Posts
Thanked 7,113 Times in 3,177 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Profit tax

Quote:
View Post
I just heard from my friend from Austria, he paid 27.5% which his bank will directly send it to the tax dept, so 1000 profit he earned, he pay 275 EUR
And if you lived in Ireland you’d pay 41%, if you were a citizen of the US or Eritrea you might be liable for taxes even if you never lived in the country. Every country has their own rules and regulations.

Countries have different policy objectives, Ireland/UK tend to encourage property ownership over equities where as Switzerland does the opposite and so on...

Are you just waking up to this or have you another point?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 25.03.2021, 09:53
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: basel
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
qazwsxedc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Profit tax

My country has no profit tax nor wealth tax, I still need time to accept every money you earn you have to pay tax...


Can i please ask two more questions,



1. the dividend from bond each month is 600CHF, so per year is 7200 and if will count as income tax, lets say 10% is the income tax, thats mean i have to pay 720? Am i correct? seems a lot....


2. What happen when i sell the bond but lost say 1000, how does it count? I have to pay the dividend or interests for the tax dept, but at the end I lost more than I earn from the dividend/interests.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.03.2021, 09:55
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,452
Groaned at 431 Times in 322 Posts
Thanked 21,025 Times in 11,084 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Profit tax

Quote:
View Post
My country has no profit tax nor wealth tax, I still need time to accept every money you earn you have to pay tax...


Can i please ask two more questions,



1. the dividend from bond each month is 600CHF, so per year is 7200 and if will count as income tax, lets say 10% is the income tax, thats mean i have to pay 720? Am i correct? seems a lot....


2. What happen when i sell the bond but lost say 1000, how does it count? I have to pay the dividend or interests for the tax dept, but at the end I lost more than I earn from the dividend/interests.
Yes

you lose money, end of story.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.03.2021, 10:01
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: basel
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
qazwsxedc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Profit tax

oh maybe i was wrong as I looked again what *NotAllThere* mentioned above


-Stock and bond income is taxed as income. It's taxed at whatever your top rate of tax is.

Profits are not taxed. However, wealth is.-


So the profit is counted as wealth only.... not like income tax (salary)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.03.2021, 10:06
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,452
Groaned at 431 Times in 322 Posts
Thanked 21,025 Times in 11,084 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Profit tax

Quote:
View Post
oh maybe i was wrong as I looked again what *NotAllThere* mentioned above


-Stock and bond income is taxed as income. It's taxed at whatever your top rate of tax is.

Profits are not taxed. However, wealth is.-


So the profit is counted as wealth only.... not like income tax (salary)
Income is taxed as income

Full market value is taxed as wealth.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 25.03.2021, 10:16
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,769
Groaned at 16 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,491 Times in 779 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Profit tax

Quote:
View Post
oh maybe i was wrong as I looked again what *NotAllThere* mentioned above


-Stock and bond income is taxed as income. It's taxed at whatever your top rate of tax is.

Profits are not taxed. However, wealth is.-


So the profit is counted as wealth only.... not like income tax (salary)
Dividends = income = added to your income = taxed as income
Values of stock = wealth = added to your wealth = taxed as wealth
Capital gains/losses = affect wealth only, will go up or down. Gains not taxed as income.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kri for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 25.03.2021, 11:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: basel
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
qazwsxedc has no particular reputation at present
Re: Profit tax

thank you so much
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non profit organization zrh Finance/banking/taxation 6 17.03.2016 07:51
Prisons for profit California Dreamer International affairs/politics 44 22.04.2012 09:23
How to profit from the EUR issues Momus Finance/banking/taxation 3 25.11.2011 21:14
Establishing a non-profit in CH kate lauren Business & entrepreneur 2 17.09.2009 18:43
Non-Profit Organisations cavehomme Other/general 1 03.10.2007 13:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0