Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #221  
Old 03.06.2021, 17:32
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
NachoL has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
I don't understand the advantages. I want to borrow either 70,000 CHF or 2 bitcoin.

If i choose CHF I go to the bank who ask me about my financial profile, whether i can pay it back, want some evidence of income and all that then they lend me 70k at 2% interest or whatever. They click "lend" on the computer, the money gets transferred a couple of days later.

I choose to borrow 2 bitcoin. If i use peer to peer mode, im just borrowing it off some chap on the bitcoin network correct ? so if i spend it and then bugger off, what recourse does he have (lets assume i picked someone who is physically in a very distant country) ? If i lend 2 bitcoin from a bitcoin bank or lender, they i assume will ask for my proof of income, whether i can pay it back profile, then if they are happy they click "lend" on the computer and it appears on my blockchain (or in my wallet) 10 minutes later correct ? but i'd still need to do all the application stuff for the bank or they'd just lend it on the hoof and hope for the best ?
When you ask for money, usually you need something as collateral. The same happens with crypto.

You have bitcoin, you don't want to sell, but you need some USD. Then you use your Bitcoin as collateral and ask for USD (USDC for example, which is a crypto stable dollar). If you don't pay back in a certain amount of time, they take your collateral (exactly as it happens in real life).

This can lead to risky behaviour, where you leverage in order to buy more crypto because you think that prices will go up. Some people have big gains with that, but also huge losses.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NachoL for this useful post:
  #222  
Old 03.06.2021, 21:16
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: geneve
Posts: 131
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 54 Posts
jim1 has an excellent reputationjim1 has an excellent reputationjim1 has an excellent reputationjim1 has an excellent reputation
Re: Dogecoin

Is that a practical lending use case though?

Isn’t it like saying you have Euros, you need USD. Instead of converting the Euros to USD you pledge the Euros to the bank and get a loan in USD.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 03.06.2021, 22:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: CH
Posts: 26
Groaned at 17 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 18 Posts
keyboardandmouse has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
When you ask for money, usually you need something as collateral. The same happens with crypto.

You have bitcoin, you don't want to sell, but you need some USD. Then you use your Bitcoin as collateral and ask for USD (USDC for example, which is a crypto stable dollar). If you don't pay back in a certain amount of time, they take your collateral (exactly as it happens in real life).

This can lead to risky behaviour, where you leverage in order to buy more crypto because you think that prices will go up. Some people have big gains with that, but also huge losses.
So what is my advantage of cryptocurrency over usd ? Why not borrow in usd with usd as collatoral ? If crypto is going to supercede fiat I am still lost to what the unique selling point is that will make me work in Bitcoin and not fiat.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank keyboardandmouse for this useful post:
  #224  
Old 04.06.2021, 01:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,926
Groaned at 466 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 11,846 Times in 6,166 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
A case in point, if you look at Nasdaq today, it was initially only minus few points earlier in pre-session whereas crypto’s were going up and now as Nasdaq is dropping over hundred points, so all the crypto’s are going down.
Check out AMC and GME stock price. You may find it's not so much NASDAQ but these two, possibly a few others (just a remark, can't be bothered to check myself).

AMC was up by 150% from monday's to wednesday's close.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 04.06.2021, 21:46
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,844
Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,624 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
Check out AMC and GME stock price. You may find it's not so much NASDAQ but these two, possibly a few others (just a remark, can't be bothered to check myself).

AMC was up by 150% from monday's to wednesday's close.
I wouldn’t correlate it merely to those two meme stocks. The picture is much more complex than that. On one hand, there are tweets from Musk emblemed as a crypto-tourist which damage the crypto space, on the other hand there’s conference in Wyoming that brings about the blockchain innovation discussions that more and more start picking interest of institutional investors. One should remain very positive and HODL for now. People should really get self-educated about cryptocurrencies and their future role in the financial world. It’s growing now.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/bloc...tentType=VIDEO

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/wyom...tentType=VIDEO

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/ceo-...tentType=VIDEO
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 04.06.2021, 21:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,510
Groaned at 50 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,392 Times in 1,633 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
Check out AMC and GME stock price. You may find it's not so much NASDAQ but these two, possibly a few others (just a remark, can't be bothered to check myself).

AMC was up by 150% from monday's to wednesday's close.
Edit: Sorry Urs Max misread you

Last edited by HickvonFrick; 04.06.2021 at 23:14.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #227  
Old 04.06.2021, 22:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,510
Groaned at 50 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,392 Times in 1,633 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
I wouldn’t correlate it merely to those two meme stocks. The picture is much more complex than that. On one hand, there are tweets from Musk emblemed as a crypto-tourist which damage the crypto space, on the other hand there’s conference in Wyoming that brings about the blockchain innovation discussions that more and more start picking interest of institutional investors. One should remain very positive and HODL for now. People should really get self-educated about cryptocurrencies and their future role in the financial world. It’s growing now.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/bloc...tentType=VIDEO

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/wyom...tentType=VIDEO

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/ceo-...tentType=VIDEO
Blockchain yes - the extant major cryptocurrencies - certainly not, they've categorically failed to meet the requirements of a useable currency.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #228  
Old 04.06.2021, 22:08
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,844
Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,624 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
Blockchain yes - the extant major cryptocurrencies - certainly not, they've categorically failed to meet the requirements of a useable currency.
Bitcoin and Ethereum are the flagships to stay there. It’s like Facebook and Amazon, others like Twitter, Snap, TikTok and etc are still to prove themselves. It’s not like all those few thousands of coins are necessarily to exist in the future but if you look at least at the first top 10, those are to remain.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 05.06.2021, 09:56
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
Bitcoin and Ethereum are the flagships to stay there. It’s like Facebook and Amazon, others like Twitter, Snap, TikTok and etc are still to prove themselves. It’s not like all those few thousands of coins are necessarily to exist in the future but if you look at least at the first top 10, those are to remain.
I doubt Dogecoin will be around forever. And Litecoin doesn't offer a whole lot of advantages, either.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 05.06.2021, 10:23
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,844
Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,624 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
I doubt Dogecoin will be around forever. And Litecoin doesn't offer a whole lot of advantages, either.
I will HODL the LTC and see what happens. It has a decent market cap but in crypto space market caps can evaporate very quickly.

https://money.usnews.com/investing/c...ood-investment
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 05.06.2021, 11:54
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: CH
Posts: 26
Groaned at 17 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 18 Posts
keyboardandmouse has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
I will HODL the LTC and see what happens. It has a decent market cap but in crypto space market caps can evaporate very quickly.

https://money.usnews.com/investing/c...ood-investment
You’ve kind of highlighted why crypto is a non serious topic currently from a real currency perspective. If one day I can buy my fruit and veg in Bitcoin and the whole supply chain behind that is dealing in cryptocurrency then your at a serious financial viability. Right now it’s kind of like paying for your weekly shopping with a betting slip that England might win the euro’s.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank keyboardandmouse for this useful post:
  #232  
Old 05.06.2021, 13:53
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 608
Groaned at 104 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 815 Times in 358 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
....why is that Jacek?

NB: I’m enjoying the crypto thing now, it’s like a slow revolution and I can fully understand why authoritarian countries oppose them...reading now about Venezuela and crypto coin Reserve, and how they would try to circumnavigate inflation by adopting this and others. I have family in Venezuela and anything like this to help them is much appreciated considering the terrible situation of a formerly wealthy country.

https://amp.dw.com/en/venezuelans-tr...ion/a-57219083

..
...another very interesting link regading Venezuela: https://www.csis.org/analysis/how-op...lp-venezuelans
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 05.06.2021, 22:13
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,844
Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,624 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

“Crypto [add name] is going to the moon”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bitco...171039427.html
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 06.06.2021, 07:52
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 608
Groaned at 104 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 815 Times in 358 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

I can see it happening to Doge too, El Salvador plans to make crypto-currency legal tender…
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 06.06.2021, 09:09
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,844
Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,624 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
I can see it happening to Doge too, El Salvador plans to make crypto-currency legal tender…
That’s a wonderful news and the Washington should be thrilled
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 06.06.2021, 13:06
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: geneve
Posts: 131
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 54 Posts
jim1 has an excellent reputationjim1 has an excellent reputationjim1 has an excellent reputationjim1 has an excellent reputation
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
I can see it happening to Doge too, El Salvador plans to make crypto-currency legal tender…
«Roger Ver, from the website Bitcoin.com, told BBC News that other crypto-currencies would do a better job than Bitcoin.
"This is fantastic news for all crypto-currencies in general, but what most of the world doesn't realise is that Bitcoin doesn't work as a currency anymore.
"Now other currencies, like Bitcoin Cash, or Monero or ZCash do a far, far better job of working as a currency.
"Bitcoin can only process around three transactions per second - there is no way a network that can handle three transactions per second can ever be money for the entire world."»

Owning a crypto sounds a bit like holding a hot potato
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 13.06.2021, 15:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,926
Groaned at 466 Times in 349 Posts
Thanked 11,846 Times in 6,166 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
my ‘normal’ other investments (... CCIV ...)
Did you notice that the warrants trade at a discount lately, making it profitable to replace the shares with warrants?
At recent prices you get 5-10% discount while you halve the USD at risk.

Unfortunately you can't exercise the warrants yet, which explains why the difference isn't arbitraged away. Assuming I understand the prospectus correctly, the warrants become exercisable 30 days after the merger, which has been predicted to occur sometime this month.

The units consist of one share plus one fifth of one warrant. The warrants have an $11.50 exercise price.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #238  
Old 13.06.2021, 18:39
Hausamsee's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lucerne
Posts: 608
Groaned at 104 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 815 Times in 358 Posts
Hausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond reputeHausamsee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
Did you notice that the warrants trade at a discount lately, making it profitable to replace the shares with warrants?
At recent prices you get 5-10% discount while you halve the USD at risk.

Unfortunately you can't exercise the warrants yet, which explains why the difference isn't arbitraged away. Assuming I understand the prospectus correctly, the warrants become exercisable 30 days after the merger, which has been predicted to occur sometime this month.

The units consist of one share plus one fifth of one warrant. The warrants have an $11.50 exercise price.
….yes, waiting..thanks
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 14.06.2021, 12:51
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,844
Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 6,540 Times in 3,624 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Dogecoin now available on SQ as well.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 22.06.2021, 17:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,510
Groaned at 50 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 3,392 Times in 1,633 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dogecoin

Quote:
View Post
Dogecoin now available on SQ as well.
32 cents when you posted, 28 cents yesterday, hit 16 today....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
krypto




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0