Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.05.2021, 23:05
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Baden
Posts: 155
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 146 Times in 86 Posts
scrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeable
Hi everyone,

do you have suggestions about a credit card that offers Kaskoversicherung and or at least waives the Selbstbehalt costs when renting a car?

Or, do you know a site where all the credit cards available in Switzerland are compared? Comparis is very poor, does not provide any detail about the offered coverage/benefits on car rentals.

Thanks in advance.

Considering the average CDW in Switzerland is 2000chf, that the insurance from the car rental to reduce it to 0 costs something around 30chf/day, I found that crashing every 66 days of rental is not that bad.

However, even better, there is a credit card from “bonus card” (yeah, great name) that includes 1000 chf of CDW, or 2000chf, as an additional benefit for cards costing either 144 or 216 chf per year.

That’s the status for 06.2021 (these cards are actually on offer, 1st year fees are 1/2 that amount).

Bonus: you do *not* need to pay the rented car with the “bonus card” credit card!

Last edited by roegner; 15.06.2021 at 10:36. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.06.2021, 10:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,540
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 563 Posts
axman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

UBS Gold cards inlcude CDW insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.06.2021, 11:09
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,235
Groaned at 347 Times in 237 Posts
Thanked 12,011 Times in 4,122 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

ZKB World Mastercard Gold via Visca.ch covers CDW and more.

I have actually used it. A very long form to fill and about 3 week wait got me the lot back...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.06.2021, 12:23
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 236
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 178 Times in 95 Posts
greencelery has earned some respectgreencelery has earned some respect
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

You can buy an annual CDW excess policy for Europe for less than £70 (about CHF90) e.g. https://www.worldwideinsure.com


Note the difference between covering CDW excess and covering CDW itself. Plenty of places to get CDW excess insurance, but very few that will sell you actual CDW (i.e. if a policy doesn't exist in the first place).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greencelery for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 15.06.2021, 13:37
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,562
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,547 Times in 3,386 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Swisscard-issued cards have coverage. I have 80k coverage for LDW and CDW as far as I understand.

Amex usually fairs well as do "gold" and above cards....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.06.2021, 13:47
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Baden
Posts: 155
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 146 Times in 86 Posts
scrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
ZKB World Mastercard Gold via Visca.ch covers CDW and more.
The credit cards costs 200 francs alone, if in a package with the account 14 chf per month (account+credit card). And you have to use that credit card to book the rental car (so no chance to collect the huge possible cumulus points :P)

Quote:
View Post
UBS Gold cards inlcude CDW insurance.
100 chf first year, then 200 chf. And again credit card must be used to book the car.

Quote:
View Post
but very few that will sell you actual CDW (i.e. if a policy doesn't exist in the first place).
Usually when you rent a car, there is a CDW policy (with a selbstbehalt of 2000 CHF) ... do you mean renting a car without a CDW? I am not aware if it is possible in Switerland. Maybe with those cheap monthly rental from garages?

Quote:
View Post
Swisscard-issued cards have coverage. I have 80k coverage for LDW and CDW as far as I understand.

Amex usually fairs well as do "gold" and above cards....
I guess you are talking about "platinum" cards have coverage, not limited to Swisscard.


------------------------------------------------
Actually a good one was post finance, with reasonable price, lower interests (9% instead of 12%, although best interests are 0% and paying the bills) and cdw coverage of the selbsbehalt. It explicitly required to have a post finance account, and I am against having the credit card coupled with my bank account so it was not an option.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank scrabblegrey for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 15.06.2021, 16:18
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,540
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 563 Posts
axman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

I admit my suggestion for UBS is not particularly helpful (I get it free from my employer),

But you OP, can actually setup your own comparison site!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank axman for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 15.06.2021, 16:39
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 179
Groaned at 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 430 Times in 129 Posts
GParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
Swisscard-issued cards have coverage. I have 80k coverage for LDW and CDW as far as I understand.

Amex usually fairs well as do "gold" and above cards....
My CS AMEX Gold (Swisscard) doesn't have this. it did have but Credit Suisse "listened to their customers", "Improved their offer" and enhanced it away about 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank GParker for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 15.06.2021, 16:44
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 236
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 178 Times in 95 Posts
greencelery has earned some respectgreencelery has earned some respect
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
Usually when you rent a car, there is a CDW policy (with a selbstbehalt of 2000 CHF) ... do you mean renting a car without a CDW? I am not aware if it is possible in Switerland. Maybe with those cheap monthly rental from garages?
I think the difference is more relevant if you rent in the US, Canada or similar, where CDW is not always included in a rental. Whether it's possible to rent in Switzerland without CDW, I think technically only liability is required but I've never seen anywhere not including the CDW. I just noticed a lot of insurers here claim to offer CDW, when what they actually offer is excess protection.


I'd still question why you prefer to have this bundled with a credit card when you can buy it separately for a comparatively low fee.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greencelery for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 15.06.2021, 17:17
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Baden
Posts: 155
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 146 Times in 86 Posts
scrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
I'd still question why you prefer to have this bundled with a credit card when you can buy it separately for a comparatively low fee.
Because of ... points! Credit cards are free money, you can manage some roll-over in between them, if your client is late in paying the last bills, you are not let down by the missing 5/10k francs payment (this applies to credit cards from zkb, the cumulus credit card from migros and some others, allowing to get some cash for free).

Plus ... I did not know about separate offer from insurers! I tend to stay personally away from them, for business I have the usual required.

Thanks for the relevant comments on CDW. I rent cars often, but I do not really read the fine prints. I just want to have peace of mind with the random asshole on the streets and in the parking lots (yes, it can be me hitting a stone covered in 20 cms of snow while rear parking, doing 900 francs of damages...).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15.06.2021, 21:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,536
Groaned at 52 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,651 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
Because of ... points! Credit cards are free money, you can manage some roll-over in between them, if your client is late in paying the last bills, you are not let down by the missing 5/10k francs payment (this applies to credit cards from zkb, the cumulus credit card from migros and some others, allowing to get some cash for free).

Plus ... I did not know about separate offer from insurers! I tend to stay personally away from them, for business I have the usual required.

Thanks for the relevant comments on CDW. I rent cars often, but I do not really read the fine prints. I just want to have peace of mind with the random asshole on the streets and in the parking lots (yes, it can be me hitting a stone covered in 20 cms of snow while rear parking, doing 900 francs of damages...).
Here the only credit card to give you significant rewards is the cashback Amex.

All the points and air miles cards are terrible value for money here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 15.06.2021, 23:11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Baden
Posts: 155
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 146 Times in 86 Posts
scrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
Here the only credit card to give you significant rewards is the cashback Amex.

All the points and air miles cards are terrible value for money here.
That's true, and a smile on my "points!" got lost.
However, in times of negative interest, getting 0.3% (average rate of miles, or cumulus or coop points with credit card) on the yearly 15/20k chf of expenses is not that bad. It's not that good either, since amex gives something more at the expense of local businesses ... as long as the heavy fees are paid by Migros or Coop, so by us, I am fine.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16.06.2021, 12:59
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 11,998
Groaned at 334 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 22,926 Times in 8,297 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
That's true, and a smile on my "points!" got lost.
However, in times of negative interest, getting 0.3% (average rate of miles, or cumulus or coop points with credit card) on the yearly 15/20k chf of expenses is not that bad. It's not that good either, since amex gives something more at the expense of local businesses ... as long as the heavy fees are paid by Migros or Coop, so by us, I am fine.
Stating the obvious: but unless you only rent cars in Switzerland does the "foreign usage fees" kick in. With most Swiss cards between 1.2 and 2% or in other words: a whole lot more than all those points or cashback... I decided to keep an EU credit card in EUR despite the hassle for everything abroad.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16.06.2021, 13:24
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,361
Groaned at 499 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,455 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
You can buy an annual CDW excess policy for Europe for less than £70 (about CHF90) e.g. https://www.worldwideinsure.com


Note the difference between covering CDW excess and covering CDW itself. Plenty of places to get CDW excess insurance, but very few that will sell you actual CDW (i.e. if a policy doesn't exist in the first place).
+1 I used to use another crowd based in Ireland but they don't offer multi-trip car excess insurance anymore. Been with these for a couple of years now, never had to make a claim with them so can't comment on that side of things.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 16.06.2021, 13:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,536
Groaned at 52 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 3,439 Times in 1,651 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
Stating the obvious: but unless you only rent cars in Switzerland does the "foreign usage fees" kick in. With most Swiss cards between 1.2 and 2% or in other words: a whole lot more than all those points or cashback... I decided to keep an EU credit card in EUR despite the hassle for everything abroad.
Neon has no fx fees.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 16.06.2021, 13:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 330
Groaned at 21 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 511 Times in 211 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
Neon has no fx fees.
But they don't offer a credit card. You would need to block the full excess amount on the card when hiring a car without the excess insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16.06.2021, 15:09
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Baden
Posts: 155
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 146 Times in 86 Posts
scrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeablescrabblegrey is considered knowledgeable
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
Stating the obvious: but unless you only rent cars in Switzerland does the "foreign usage fees" kick in. With most Swiss cards between 1.2 and 2% or in other words: a whole lot more than all those points or cashback... I decided to keep an EU credit card in EUR despite the hassle for everything abroad.
Yes, sure, but you can use the DKB Euro credit card, and still have the CDW waiver from the bonuscard I mentioned in the opening... focus here is the car rental part.

And the fact that the 15/20k chf of "daily" swiss expenses would be 4/5k in Euro countries
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16.06.2021, 15:19
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 11,998
Groaned at 334 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 22,926 Times in 8,297 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
Yes, sure, but you can use the DKB Euro credit card, and still have the CDW waiver from the bonuscard I mentioned in the opening... focus here is the car rental part.

And the fact that the 15/20k chf of "daily" swiss expenses would be 4/5k in Euro countries
Yeah, well: I rent cars relatively frequently. Instead of a credit card package do I always use a price comparison site - check24.de. Thanks to my recurring business did I become "gold club member" which gives me a free travel accident insurance. The website offers a million filters on all the details of a rental agreement - I typically want the full cover. Thanks to the advanced search is there no upselling afterwards... they even prepare a paper in the respective local language of your rental pick up saying "no thanks, i got full cover already"... The offers I find on there are a lot cheaper than going directly to the rental companies... I had various expensive credit card packages before and always feel that I am paying for services I am not utilizing enough...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 16.06.2021, 15:29
fduvall's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Used to be Zurich
Posts: 1,594
Groaned at 56 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,685 Times in 772 Posts
fduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond reputefduvall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Treverus - As a "Gold Member" do you get full cover for your car rental? I also travel somewhat frequently and often need rental cars. I have an Amex Platinum, but I don't think it offers full cover. I need to find a site like this in Spain. Or maybe I should get a yearly coverage.

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, well: I rent cars relatively frequently. Instead of a credit card package do I always use a price comparison site - check24.de. Thanks to my recurring business did I become "gold club member" which gives me a free travel accident insurance. The website offers a million filters on all the details of a rental agreement - I typically want the full cover. Thanks to the advanced search is there no upselling afterwards... they even prepare a paper in the respective local language of your rental pick up saying "no thanks, i got full cover already"... The offers I find on there are a lot cheaper than going directly to the rental companies... I had various expensive credit card packages before and always feel that I am paying for services I am not utilizing enough...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16.06.2021, 17:28
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 11,998
Groaned at 334 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 22,926 Times in 8,297 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Credit card, main use: car rentals. Credit card comparison

Quote:
View Post
Treverus - As a "Gold Member" do you get full cover for your car rental? I also travel somewhat frequently and often need rental cars. I have an Amex Platinum, but I don't think it offers full cover. I need to find a site like this in Spain. Or maybe I should get a yearly coverage.
Not automatically. I get some travel accident insurance, but there is tons of options to choose: not just liability insurance but how high do you want the cover? Tyres, windows are typically excluded... want to include it? They have a really handy rating system comparing the offers. What I did not know before is just how many options there are and how many wholesellers there are renting out other companies cars for less... its a strange business. I used them repeatedly to book cars in Spain, but the website is Germany based.

Only downside I found so far is that I am clearly the worst customer for the local rental shop ever... so dont expect an upgrade.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
comparing, credit card, mastercard, rental cars, visa




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Halbtax Abo Card with credit card function. Free? humano Transportation/driving 39 16.08.2012 22:23
Credit Suisse Credit card billing date elfe Finance/banking/taxation 5 13.11.2011 20:12
Paying a Credit Suisse Credit Card Online jerallie Finance/banking/taxation 8 06.10.2011 19:00
Pre Paid Master Card/Credit Card - Opinion Please Cashboy Finance/banking/taxation 1 07.01.2010 11:44
AECS in Horgen - Credit Suisse's credit card business - somebody work there? Greg530 Finance/banking/taxation 9 15.04.2007 18:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0