Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.08.2021, 09:22
londonboy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 111
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 106 Times in 54 Posts
londonboy has earned the respect of manylondonboy has earned the respect of manylondonboy has earned the respect of many
Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Good morning all,

I had the radio on in the background just now whilst working, tuned into Vintage Radio, and on the 9am news broadcast, they were speaking about Cembra Bank for about a minute I think, referring to loans and/or credit cards but I really could not make out any details and my Swiss German is not fluent enough.

As a customer of Cembra, I would very much like to know what they were saying and what justified such a big piece in the news broadcast...

Can anyone please help to enlighten me? Would be much appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.08.2021, 09:50
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
Good morning all,

I had the radio on in the background just now whilst working, tuned into Vintage Radio, and on the 9am news broadcast, they were speaking about Cembra Bank for about a minute I think, referring to loans and/or credit cards but I really could not make out any details and my Swiss German is not fluent enough.

As a customer of Cembra, I would very much like to know what they were saying and what justified such a big piece in the news broadcast...

Can anyone please help to enlighten me? Would be much appreciated, thanks.
A minute is <<a big piece in the news broadcast>>?

Google is your friend ...... The Migros Cumulus credit-card will no longer be issued by Cembra (after doing so for 15 years) but by Migros Bank.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.08.2021, 09:53
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,255
Groaned at 53 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,983 Times in 1,447 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

https://www.luzernerzeitung.ch/news-...rte-ld.2177191 ? [As Curley has just said]
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank me.anon for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 23.08.2021, 11:22
londonboy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 111
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 106 Times in 54 Posts
londonboy has earned the respect of manylondonboy has earned the respect of manylondonboy has earned the respect of many
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Many thanks both :-)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.08.2021, 11:34
londonboy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 111
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 106 Times in 54 Posts
londonboy has earned the respect of manylondonboy has earned the respect of manylondonboy has earned the respect of many
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Wow....Cembra share price currently down 26% as a result of this contract loss announcement.

Obviously, Cembra will suffer some revenue loss as a result but I wonder if this is an over-reaction or a buying opportunity now, hmmm...

Warrants a little further research I think...but I am seriously tempted to buy some shares right now.

I just found this on their investor relations website:

"Cembra plans to introduce an attractive successor product and sees alternative growth potential in the credit card business
Termination will have an impact on net profit from 2022; outlook for the current year and mid-term targets are confirmed, sustainable dividend policy is secured due to strong capital base"

https://www.cembra.ch/en/investor/news-media/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank londonboy for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 23.08.2021, 11:40
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
......
Warrants a little further research I think...but I am seriously tempted to buy some shares right now.
I'm sure it does but this time do it yourself, yeah?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 23.08.2021, 11:46
londonboy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 111
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 106 Times in 54 Posts
londonboy has earned the respect of manylondonboy has earned the respect of manylondonboy has earned the respect of many
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Already have curley, and convinced myself that the market has over-reacted here :-)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank londonboy for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 23.08.2021, 12:10
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
Already have curley, and convinced myself that the market has over-reacted here :-)
Yeah, when Migros is involved, Switzerland trembles in it's foundation walls.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 23.08.2021, 14:52
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,733
Groaned at 385 Times in 264 Posts
Thanked 13,142 Times in 4,507 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
Already have curley, and convinced myself that the market has over-reacted here :-)
That‘s 850,000 credit card customers gone. You‘ll need an idea of how much turnover they are losing…
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 23.08.2021, 15:31
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,441
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,233 Times in 2,932 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
Wow....Cembra share price currently down 26% as a result of this contract loss announcement.

Obviously, Cembra will suffer some revenue loss as a result but I wonder if this is an over-reaction or a buying opportunity now, hmmm...

Warrants a little further research I think...but I am seriously tempted to buy some shares right now.

I just found this on their investor relations website:

"Cembra plans to introduce an attractive successor product and sees alternative growth potential in the credit card business
Termination will have an impact on net profit from 2022; outlook for the current year and mid-term targets are confirmed, sustainable dividend policy is secured due to strong capital base"

https://www.cembra.ch/en/investor/news-media/
Maybe this is good news......for the people after a private or car loan. Cembra cannot afford to lose more business. Maybe they will be a bit more flexible in their acceptance criteria, or lower interest rate.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 24.08.2021, 11:50
scrabblegrey's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Baden - East corner of my sofa
Posts: 246
Groaned at 25 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 224 Times in 129 Posts
scrabblegrey has earned the respect of manyscrabblegrey has earned the respect of manyscrabblegrey has earned the respect of many
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
Already have curley, and convinced myself that the market has over-reacted here :-)
I leave a bookmark here, to check in the future which prediction will be fullfilled by reality
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24.08.2021, 12:17
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,131
Groaned at 218 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 15,264 Times in 7,847 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
That‘s 850,000 credit card customers gone. You‘ll need an idea of how much turnover they are losing…
What puzzles me is why wasn't that done via Migros Bank from the start?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24.08.2021, 12:31
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 4,441
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,233 Times in 2,932 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
What puzzles me is why wasn't that done via Migros Bank from the start?
If they don't like alcohol, maybe they also had something against usury. Crazy people.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.08.2021, 12:32
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 15,037
Groaned at 295 Times in 199 Posts
Thanked 19,127 Times in 8,045 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

I also saw it on my watchlist change to green and found the same news. I don't even remember how it got on my watchlist, but I took a punt anyway at 67.4.

Not long ago, SYF was also terminated by Walmart in worse circumstances: https://www.ft.com/content/056cddac-...6-46fc3ad87c65

Let's see if a similar story plays out.

Last edited by Phil_MCR; 24.08.2021 at 12:43.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24.08.2021, 13:43
Never TheLess's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Around and about
Posts: 155
Groaned at 7 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 81 Posts
Never TheLess has an excellent reputationNever TheLess has an excellent reputationNever TheLess has an excellent reputationNever TheLess has an excellent reputation
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
What puzzles me is why wasn't that done via Migros Bank from the start?
No technical capability. GE Money Bank as it was back then had the required know how. The new CEO decided that MB is now capable of bringing this in-house, when he found the time.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Never TheLess for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 24.08.2021, 14:32
scrabblegrey's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Baden - East corner of my sofa
Posts: 246
Groaned at 25 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 224 Times in 129 Posts
scrabblegrey has earned the respect of manyscrabblegrey has earned the respect of manyscrabblegrey has earned the respect of many
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

I don't know how many of the 850'000 Cumulus Cembra customers are going to end in the next 6 months, but one (me) had its card renewed just now in august, so I will be a customer for the next 3-4 years (I don't remember exactly).

Cembra was giving a decent dividend in the past years (the stocks, not the cumulus points from the card ). This dividend should not be very different this year, so it is a decent buy at current price.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24.08.2021, 15:05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 410
Groaned at 24 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 661 Times in 265 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
I don't know how many of the 850'000 Cumulus Cembra customers are going to end in the next 6 months, but one (me) had its card renewed just now in august, so I will be a customer for the next 3-4 years (I don't remember exactly).

Cembra was giving a decent dividend in the past years (the stocks, not the cumulus points from the card ). This dividend should not be very different this year, so it is a decent buy at current price.
Better to invest in companies that are able to reinvest at high rates of return. If this is not possible then management will have to return the cash to shareholders. This can be done in two ways: dividends and buybacks. Dividends are not the preferred means of returning cash to shareholders as they are taxed as income in CH. I prefer buybacks as it does not affect my income tax liability.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Polymath for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 24.08.2021, 15:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 62 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
Better to invest in companies that are able to reinvest at high rates of return. If this is not possible then management will have to return the cash to shareholders. This can be done in two ways: dividends and buybacks. Dividends are not the preferred means of returning cash to shareholders as they are taxed as income in CH. I prefer buybacks as it does not affect my income tax liability.
I just go slightly leveraged such that my interest is just below my dividend yield.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24.08.2021, 15:53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 410
Groaned at 24 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 661 Times in 265 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
I just go slightly leveraged such that my interest is just below my dividend yield.
That’s another way to do it but I always try to be cognisant of the wisdom of Charlie and Warren.

Smart men go broke three ways - liquor, ladies and leverage. Charlie Munger

My partner Charlie says there is only three ways a smart person can go broke: liquor, ladies, and leverage. Now the truth is, the first two he just added because they started with ‘L’ – It’s leverage. Warren Buffett
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 24.08.2021, 15:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 62 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cembra Bank news on Vintage Radio...

Quote:
View Post
That’s another way to do it but I always try to be cognisant of the wisdom of Charlie and Warren.

Smart men go broke three ways - liquor, ladies and leverage. Charlie Munger

My partner Charlie says there is only three ways a smart person can go broke: liquor, ladies, and leverage. Now the truth is, the first two he just added because they started with ‘L’ – It’s leverage. Warren Buffett
I'm a few percent leveraged. I'm not going to have to sell unless the world ends!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cembra




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cumulus (Cembra Money Bank) - extra fees genf Finance/banking/taxation 24 16.12.2019 01:35
Financial Crisis Bank News [was: How Safe is UBS?] delite1 Swiss politics/news 2629 15.08.2019 11:29
SwissLeaks - more bad news for HSBC Private Bank Dack Rambo Finance/banking/taxation 34 06.04.2018 19:23
News for UK and Austrian tax payers with Swiss bank accounts or securities deposits international Finance/banking/taxation 14 01.07.2013 10:34
Financial Crisis Bank News -- Part II (Great Recession Fallout) irinastaxen International affairs/politics 10 19.11.2010 17:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0