Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 23.12.2008, 09:37
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,564
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 1,134 Times in 585 Posts
peachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond reputepeachy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Ok,
Not quite the same but true. The bank does total the amount of money an ATM gives out each day and makes sure it agrees with the cash inside. If by some fluke it has given away too much money, then they write a letter to all the customers who draw out money that day telling them they took it.

Cause the customers who did not take it will ignore the letter, or maybe complain. The guy that did get the free money will think they caught him and will give it back. That's the theory anyway.
I don't believe that at all, no bank would accuse hundreds of it's customers of theft, it would be a PR disaster.

EDIT: Added to which sending a letter out to all the customers would probably cost more than the value of money taken.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 23.12.2008, 09:44
Nev
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Are you sure about this ? I find it very surprising an ATM would work when it had no cash in.
That I can confirm. It happened to me at an ATM in Montreux last Summer. No cash, my account was debited but the amount was credited back the next day. What I didn't know was that having once dispensed the cash and debited your account, it could take it back but register that you were left out of pocket. Smarter than were realize these ATMs!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 23.12.2008, 12:12
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Having worked in a UK bank myself it's very rare for an ATM machine to make mistakes, unless it has been tampered with illegally.

AS most people have already commented, if you do fail to take the money from the ATM in time, it will be recredited to your account. The ATM does indeed make a detailed list of all transactions and will note how much has been withdrawn and compare this to what is remaining. I have been unfortunate enough in past times to go through this list! THis list is then retained for a period of time in the even tof queries.

Also, the ATM can work without cash but it usually just just offers account balancing services. In the instance that it attempts to offer you money and nothing comes out, as noted before, it will automatically recredit your account on the basis that it's own internal account will not balance. It's just unfortunate that it's not always immediate and can leave the customer's balance thinking that the money has been withdrawn.

Incidentally, I have known an instance when some cashiers accidentally placed 20 notes in the 5 drawer in an ATM resulting in customers getting more than they bargained for - although the customers were very honest about it and reported it immediately!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 17.08.2011, 13:04
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,266
Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 888 Times in 437 Posts
kiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputation
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Can someone please help me:

We were at a UBS bank in July and wanted to withdraw 2000 euros from the ATM. We were at the screen that tells you how much that would be in francs...when i saw how bad the exchange rate was, i told my wife that she should cancel it, take out the equivalent amount in francs and give it to me. I would then go to my bank and take out the 2000 euros where i know i had a better rate.

Well that was done and today we saw her bill...we were charged for the 2000 euros and 2400 francs that she actually withdrew. We never pressed confirm for the 2000 euros, and no money ever came out.

Is there anything i can do about this? I only noticed this today and it happened about a month ago
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 17.08.2011, 13:18
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,367
Groaned at 97 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Is there anything i can do about this?
Talk to the bank. Unless you want to talk to the pharmacist, though I'm pretty sure they'll be able to help you just about as much as we will.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank phdoofus for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 17.08.2011, 13:19
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Commugny Canton Vaud
Posts: 213
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 119 Times in 69 Posts
mrshunkydorey is considered knowledgeablemrshunkydorey is considered knowledgeablemrshunkydorey is considered knowledgeable
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Can someone please help me:

We were at a UBS bank in July and wanted to withdraw 2000 euros from the ATM. We were at the screen that tells you how much that would be in francs...when i saw how bad the exchange rate was, i told my wife that she should cancel it, take out the equivalent amount in francs and give it to me. I would then go to my bank and take out the 2000 euros where i know i had a better rate.

Well that was done and today we saw her bill...we were charged for the 2000 euros and 2400 francs that she actually withdrew. We never pressed confirm for the 2000 euros, and no money ever came out.

Is there anything i can do about this? I only noticed this today and it happened about a month ago
Sounds like you didn't press cancel and walked off leaving your money in the slot! Fingers crossed someone didn't walk in soon after the left and the money was still in the slot and they took it. If the money was sitting there for a while the ATM should of swollowed it up! Call your bank ASAP and they will check the reconcilation for you. Don't hold out much hope though as I would of thought they would of contacted you had there been a descrepancy! Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 17.08.2011, 13:19
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,169
Groaned at 171 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Is there anything i can do about this? I only noticed this today and it happened about a month ago
There's a special dance you can do which, if executed correctly, will reverse phantom ATM withdrawals. Don't forget to do the Euro one else it won't work.

(i.e. What do you expect people here to tell you apart from "speak to your bank"?)
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 17.08.2011, 13:27
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,053
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 594 Times in 373 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Can someone please help me:

We were at a UBS bank in July and wanted to withdraw 2000 euros from the ATM. We were at the screen that tells you how much that would be in francs...when i saw how bad the exchange rate was, i told my wife that she should cancel it, take out the equivalent amount in francs and give it to me. I would then go to my bank and take out the 2000 euros where i know i had a better rate.

Well that was done and today we saw her bill...we were charged for the 2000 euros and 2400 francs that she actually withdrew. We never pressed confirm for the 2000 euros, and no money ever came out.

Is there anything i can do about this? I only noticed this today and it happened about a month ago
I think that contacting your bank would be the first step!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 17.08.2011, 13:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,386
Groaned at 163 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 4,696 Times in 1,809 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Can someone please help me:

We were at a UBS bank in July and wanted to withdraw 2000 euros from the ATM. We were at the screen that tells you how much that would be in francs...when i saw how bad the exchange rate was, i told my wife that she should cancel it, take out the equivalent amount in francs and give it to me. I would then go to my bank and take out the 2000 euros where i know i had a better rate.

Well that was done and today we saw her bill...we were charged for the 2000 euros and 2400 francs that she actually withdrew. We never pressed confirm for the 2000 euros, and no money ever came out.

Is there anything i can do about this? I only noticed this today and it happened about a month ago
despite the "talk to your bank" replies I think what is meant is "what can I say to the bank i.e. what are my rights". ATM's retrieve money that is left in the tray for a certain period of time and cancel the transaction. What your saying doesnt fully make sense because it is not logical. If you pressed cancel on the EURO transaction and then while standing at the ATM for the same session withdrew the francs then the Euro transaction would never have been passed out as cash and so would not have been committed by the ATM. If you took the Francs and then in a seperate transaction selected the Euro's and then walked away and someone took the Euro's from the tray before it retrieved them then and only then would you have lost your money with (I expect) no recourse for reimboursement.

What your saying though - that you cancelled the Euro transaction and took the transaction in francs in the same session - can't really have happened exactly like that as far as ATM technology goes because a transaction is not committed until it is fully completed.

Unless you had a dodgy ATM machine but in all honesty, unless it has had card skimming software or other criminal tampering done to it, they are built so they cannot make this sort of mistake.

Hope that helps.

mike
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 17.08.2011, 13:50
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,264
Groaned at 71 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,732 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post

What your saying though - that you cancelled the Euro transaction and took the transaction in francs in the same session - can't really have happened exactly like that as far as ATM technology goes because a transaction is not committed until it is fully completed.

Unless you had a dodgy ATM machine but in all honesty, unless it has had card skimming software or other criminal tampering done to it, they are built so they cannot make this sort of mistake.
Well that's what you expect it to do...

Anything is possible when it comes to ATMs they are tested but not tested for every possible scenario, clearly whatever the OP did has messed up the commit process and it commited both the CHF and the EURO transactions... Anyway the advice is as previously mentioned! Speak to the Bank, the ATM operator have reconciliation reports that they can access for specific days, and it will show the mistake if there is one which I believe there is and you should get your money back that way.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 17.08.2011, 13:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,386
Groaned at 163 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 4,696 Times in 1,809 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Well that's what you expect it to do...

Anything is possible when it comes to ATMs they are tested but not tested for every possible scenario, clearly whatever the OP did has messed up the commit process and it commited both the CHF and the EURO transactions... Anyway the advice is as previously mentioned! Speak to the Bank, the ATM operator have reconciliation reports that they can access for specific days, and it will show the mistake if there is one which I believe there is and you should get your money back that way.
I don't really agree, ATM machines are meant to be tested for every single scenario because they have very limited functionality. ATM Security breaches where they do exist involve additional hardware or stacking it with paper instead of notes or other physical tampering.

Horses for courses though, different people have different levels of trust in them.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 17.08.2011, 14:13
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,264
Groaned at 71 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,732 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
I don't really agree...
ATM Security breaches where they do exist involve additional hardware or stacking it with paper instead of notes or other physical tampering.
So you agree?

Clearly they're not tested for the scenario of what the OP has mentioned because if they were this wouldn't happen.

Clearly they're not tested for when I had a problem and the machine ran out of money and thought it didn't and gave me less money than I expected and had to go through the process of claiming it back with the bank.

ATM's are made by humans, tested by humans and we all know that humans make mistakes and ta da!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 17.08.2011, 14:44
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,367
Groaned at 97 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
ATM's are made by humans, tested by humans and we all know that humans make mistakes and ta da!
You forgot operated by humans. It's much easier to map out the functionality of an ATM and use proper design to avoid any screw ups than it is to map out the numerous ways in which people can screw up (e.g. walking away from an ATM leaving cash sticking out but thinking you cancelled the transaction...as well as leaving your card behind).
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:44
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,266
Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 888 Times in 437 Posts
kiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputation
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post

What your saying though - that you cancelled the Euro transaction and took the transaction in francs in the same session - can't really have happened exactly like that as far as ATM technology goes because a transaction is not committed until it is fully completed.

Unless you had a dodgy ATM machine but in all honesty, unless it has had card skimming software or other criminal tampering done to it, they are built so they cannot make this sort of mistake.

Hope that helps.

mike
Thats exactly what I am saying. I never completely commited to the purchase of the euros and I pressed STOP before the transaction had completed. The machine spit out the card...but no money. Subsequently I reinserted the card...proceeded to go ahead with the CHF transaction and got francs. Euros never came out.

Also I know the obvious answer is talk to the bank, but i just noticed this on her account statement today when i was taking a glance. It has been over a month and she is emberassed to go to the bank and ask about it. I wanted to wade in the water a little bit here to see if such a thing has happened to anyone before.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 17.08.2011, 15:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,194
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,781 Times in 704 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Thats exactly what I am saying. I never completely commited to the purchase of the euros and I pressed STOP before the transaction had completed. The machine spit out the card...but no money. Subsequently I reinserted the card...proceeded to go ahead with the CHF transaction and got francs. Euros never came out.

Also I know the obvious answer is talk to the bank, but i just noticed this on her account statement today when i was taking a glance. It has been over a month and she is emberassed to go to the bank and ask about it. I wanted to wade in the water a little bit here to see if such a thing has happened to anyone before.
Your wife shouldn't be embarrassed about going to the bank.
I'm sure there are many people who don't check their bank transactions as often as they should and, who knows, she might get her money back, which would surely be worth the embarrassment.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 18.08.2011, 21:36
Craig's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 109
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 50 Times in 28 Posts
Craig has no particular reputation at present
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Your wife shouldn't be embarrassed about going to the bank.
I'm sure there are many people who don't check their bank transactions as often as they should and, who knows, she might get her money back, which would surely be worth the embarrassment.
I don't know about anyone else but for a 1000 Euro I'd put up with any level of embarrassment.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 18.08.2011, 22:45
mhk mhk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 163
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 19 Posts
mhk has made some interesting contributions
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Thats exactly what I am saying. I never completely commited to the purchase of the euros and I pressed STOP before the transaction had completed. The machine spit out the card...but no money. Subsequently I reinserted the card...proceeded to go ahead with the CHF transaction and got francs. Euros never came out.

Also I know the obvious answer is talk to the bank, but i just noticed this on her account statement today when i was taking a glance. It has been over a month and she is emberassed to go to the bank and ask about it. I wanted to wade in the water a little bit here to see if such a thing has happened to anyone before.
the banks atm malfunctioned ..they sure have your money..so there should be nothing embarrassing about it to ask..or rather complain..
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 18.08.2011, 22:55
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,386
Groaned at 163 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 4,696 Times in 1,809 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
the banks atm malfunctioned ..they sure have your money..so there should be nothing embarrassing about it to ask..or rather complain..
Complain all you want. The bank will tell you the ATM does not malfunction like that.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 18.08.2011, 23:05
baboon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 3,770
Groaned at 143 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 6,414 Times in 2,998 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Complain all you want. The bank will tell you the ATM does not malfunction like that.
Rubbish. ATMs from time to time simply don't spit out the cash for various reasons and the banks have procedures to take care of that - the simple daily reconciliation mentioned by others. If it debited you with 2,000 but didn't spit it out, the machine will be 2,000 over.

Happened to me a while back with a simple CHF transaction and after a few weeks I got the money back. Was much more of a pain than it might have been because I had used Migros ATM instead of my own bank and there was some tooing and froing before Migros eventually coughed up but got it back in the end. Have since heard Migros are pretty poor at this so now avoid their ATMs.

But do it fast. There is a time limit for acceptance of bank statements. Monday morning job.
__________________
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 18.08.2011, 23:11
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 13,783
Groaned at 271 Times in 177 Posts
Thanked 16,874 Times in 7,136 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ATM machine makes off with my money

Quote:
View Post
Happened to me in CH before. In fact, the machine I used did not even give me any cash but still deducted the amount from my account. Like a dummy, I tried it again and it happened again.

But when I lodged a complaint the following day, they immediately reversed the error after a short investigation and gave my money back. If they are an honest bunch, they will notice an overage from the ATM balance.
i admire your scientific instincts!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ATM in Zurich (Location) where I can get EURO. sanbuddenmark Other/general 8 20.06.2012 22:19
Postfinance ATM cards - Use abroad telandy Finance/banking/taxation 6 02.05.2010 15:25
Max ATM Withdrawal (UBS) in Spain salamanca Finance/banking/taxation 3 18.12.2008 12:26
UBS Account [limitations of ATM-only card] tommy1987 Finance/banking/taxation 13 04.07.2007 17:20
[Votes on] November 26th (aka Money Money Money) Lob Swiss politics/news 3 22.11.2006 15:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0