Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1081  
Old 05.04.2016, 19:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

@ xynth

You forgot about stocking up with the cans of baked beans?

There is also a handy list here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #1082  
Old 05.04.2016, 20:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 665
Groaned at 19 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 464 Times in 294 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

@ xynth

That reminds me. I've not seen Mad Max for a long time; must get the DVD!

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank spalebärg for this useful post:
  #1083  
Old 05.04.2016, 20:52
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 8,840
Groaned at 124 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 6,535 Times in 3,622 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

@ xynth

If you not too loud type of individual you could stock up on small quantities at home aka bomb shelter.

If I'm not mistaken, according to the graph, the price of gold stabilizes in aperiodic critical fashion with some overshoot.

https://www.bullionvault.com/gold-price-chart.do
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old 05.04.2016, 21:49
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Basel
Posts: 155
Groaned at 37 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 34 Posts
Gintoxiccc is considered unworthyGintoxiccc is considered unworthyGintoxiccc is considered unworthyGintoxiccc is considered unworthy
Re: Gold Buying

Quote:
View Post
Can I provide an alternative end-of-the-world protection scheme for those interested in diversifying from the potential pitfalls of physical gold (even with it's long track record of safe haven, one cannot be too careful):

1. Learn the trade of safe construction.
2. Stock up on weapons and ammo.
3. Learn basic survival skills, bushcraft and farming.

I know this sounds a bit nutty, but bear with me here, there is a point coming. See, the principal issue with physical gold is storage. Where do we put them darn shiny bricks? This question will be asked by any new gold owner, irrespective of when and how they lay their hands on the yellow metal. After the end-times hit, there'll be a market for safes, coming from guys who just acquired large quantities and need a safe. You can relieve them of some of their loot this way.

The next item on the list is important because if things go to pot and the fiat currencies collapse, stocks lose their value the economy implodes, people are going to have what is colloquially known as a Bad Time (TM). There'll be widespread disorder. The thing with these sort of disorders is that it's impossible to say how big they are going to get. Under those cases, humans were historically prone to resort to Bad Behavior (TM). There'll be looting, riots and destruction. There'll very likely be famine as the agricultural industry that we are so reliant on breaks down. There's no chance the population can switch to locally sourced food en masse, nevermind that the farmer was run over by a fire engine after the corn field was accidentally set on fire.

Under these circumstances, there's historically very clear evidence on what is going to happen to you irrespective of your predisposition to safeguard yourself with gold:

1. A bunch of angry dudes, armed to the teeth with assault weapons turns up at your doorstep.
2. They demand all food and supplies. They generously let you keep your gold because it is heavy as hell and doesn't provide a nourishing meal.
3. Kill you stone dead, just to avoid the eventuality of you having vengeful thoughts.

It is then clear that you'll want to be able to sell safes to the angry dudes, but you also want to discourage them from carrying out steps 1-3 against you.

Finally, basic survival skills always come handy in case you run out of bullets, there are no clients for your safes and the mob is marching on your house. You know, the kind of situation to what the saying "discretion is the better part of valor" has been invented for.


Our old landlord here in Basel (RIP) told me a story.
1938 the group of social misfits in brown uniforms did apear at the door of the parents home in Germany.
Since father was beaten to death and his mother died in the Flames they got horrible Problems the next following years. The father was a clever man who did own a safe in Switzerland with more than 1,000 gold pieces. The matching key was too in Switzerland. This secret was given to the children too. In thr 40s they were taken to Switzerland and in war times and shortly after they could sell the gold and pay bills, buy passports, property etc..
This shows me the small nomination of known gold coins is very important and you need the stuff physically inside Switzerland, Hong Kong and so on.
Bad times come suddenly.....
Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old 06.04.2016, 22:46
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Quote "Osama bin Laden demanded his followers invest in gold bars after the economic recession because he thought it would double in value"

Source; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4556WT614

So it was Al Qaeda driving up the gold price!
Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old 07.04.2016, 00:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,132
Groaned at 219 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,636 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

A 747-400 freighter took off from zurich earlier today loaded with gold ... its certainly going somewhere and of great value to someone.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #1087  
Old 07.04.2016, 07:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 665
Groaned at 19 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 464 Times in 294 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Quote:
View Post
Quote "Osama bin Laden demanded his followers invest in gold bars after the economic recession because he thought it would double in value"

Source; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4556WT614

So it was Al Qaeda driving up the gold price!
Excerpt from the DM article
Quote:
The newly declassified letters were part of the tranche that were recovered when bin Laden was killed during a raid on his hideout in Pakistan
Was that the third or forth time Osama was reported either dead or killed? I eventually gave up counting.
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old 07.04.2016, 09:26
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Quote:
View Post
Can I provide an alternative end-of-the-world protection scheme for those interested in diversifying from the potential pitfalls of physical gold (even with it's long track record of safe haven, one cannot be too careful):

1. Learn the trade of safe construction.
2. Stock up on weapons and ammo.
3. Learn basic survival skills, bushcraft and farming.

I know this sounds a bit nutty, but bear with me here, there is a point coming. See, the principal issue with physical gold is storage. Where do we put them darn shiny bricks? This question will be asked by any new gold owner, irrespective of when and how they lay their hands on the yellow metal. After the end-times hit, there'll be a market for safes, coming from guys who just acquired large quantities and need a safe. You can relieve them of some of their loot this way.

The next item on the list is important because if things go to pot and the fiat currencies collapse, stocks lose their value the economy implodes, people are going to have what is colloquially known as a Bad Time (TM). There'll be widespread disorder. The thing with these sort of disorders is that it's impossible to say how big they are going to get. Under those cases, humans were historically prone to resort to Bad Behavior (TM). There'll be looting, riots and destruction. There'll very likely be famine as the agricultural industry that we are so reliant on breaks down. There's no chance the population can switch to locally sourced food en masse, nevermind that the farmer was run over by a fire engine after the corn field was accidentally set on fire.

Under these circumstances, there's historically very clear evidence on what is going to happen to you irrespective of your predisposition to safeguard yourself with gold:

1. A bunch of angry dudes, armed to the teeth with assault weapons turns up at your doorstep.
2. They demand all food and supplies. They generously let you keep your gold because it is heavy as hell and doesn't provide a nourishing meal.
3. Kill you stone dead, just to avoid the eventuality of you having vengeful thoughts.

It is then clear that you'll want to be able to sell safes to the angry dudes, but you also want to discourage them from carrying out steps 1-3 against you.

Finally, basic survival skills always come handy in case you run out of bullets, there are no clients for your safes and the mob is marching on your house. You know, the kind of situation to what the saying "discretion is the better part of valor" has been invented for.
Baked beans, water, ammo, hareem, and an underground lair.

Just hide down there for a year until enough people have killed themselves then return to the surface and repopulate the planet.

Also works for zombie apocalypse scenarios.

Last edited by Phil_MCR; 07.04.2016 at 14:11.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #1089  
Old 07.04.2016, 13:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 665
Groaned at 19 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 464 Times in 294 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

It would be equally valid to ask what happens if we return to the ice age? This is also a likely scenario. The present interglacial period (the Holocene) of about 10,000 years is due to end any time soon.
Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old 07.04.2016, 14:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,624
Groaned at 70 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 3,794 Times in 2,054 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Now you know why Mexico is going to pay for the wall in the end...

;-)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank rainer_d for this useful post:
  #1091  
Old 07.04.2016, 14:12
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Quote:
View Post
It would be equally valid to ask what happens if we return to the ice age? This is also a likely scenario. The present interglacial period (the Holocene) of about 10,000 years is due to end any time soon.
stock up on winter clothes, firewood and buy shares in North Face and Big Oil.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #1092  
Old 20.04.2016, 09:50
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

China has launched a gold benchmark process; an attempt to take over world gold pricing from London who have been doing this for over a century.

Source

Seems to be widely supported by international banks; Barclays was fined for fiddling the London gold price - maybe people will trust China more?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #1093  
Old 20.04.2016, 18:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 665
Groaned at 19 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 464 Times in 294 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Quote:
View Post
China has launched a gold benchmark process; an attempt to take over world gold pricing from London who have been doing this for over a century.

Source

Seems to be widely supported by international banks; Barclays was fined for fiddling the London gold price - maybe people will trust China more?
I don't think it would be possible to trust China less. That is unless one introduces negative 'trust' rates.
The Comex and the LBMA have continued to behave like the bunch of criminals they are. The Rothschilds showed uncanny foresight getting out of the LBMA a decade or so earlier; either that or they knew full well that the gold "unallocated" scam that they introduced would fly apart one day in the near future.
More to the point is the fact that Deutsche Bank has admitted guilt and will be naming names of co-conspirators in the proceedings against them. Somehow the whole ponzi scheme is blowing up in slow motion in front of our eyes - or at least for those who have their eyes open.

Re. Deutsche Bank

Deutsche Bank Confirms Silver Market Manipulation In Legal Settlement, Agrees To Expose Other Banks

Last edited by spalebärg; 20.04.2016 at 18:16. Reason: DB case added
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old 20.04.2016, 19:17
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Basel
Posts: 155
Groaned at 37 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 34 Posts
Gintoxiccc is considered unworthyGintoxiccc is considered unworthyGintoxiccc is considered unworthyGintoxiccc is considered unworthy
Re: Gold Buying

Of course, all this is not going to be unnoticed in China. A visit to the Shanghai gold exchange in Shanghai is recommended. The volume increases per year is quit interesting.
The macabre, the gold market in Shanghai was taken to the boulding of an former Russian Bank of tsarist days. This bank orginized the "gold standard" in the early 20th century between China and Russia.
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old 02.05.2016, 20:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Gold was briefly over $1,300 today; who knew!!
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old 02.05.2016, 21:48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 389
Groaned at 107 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 211 Times in 120 Posts
Burner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthyBurner is considered unworthy
Re: Gold Buying

I thought gold would get closer to USD1K before moving upwards, if memory serves it got to 1060.

Maybe this is just another false start.

Having said that, DoucheBag has admitted to gold and silver rigging and have agreed to snitch on the others. Maybe people are starting to wake up, and realise that paper gold is a rip off, and having physical possession of the actual metal is the only thing that counts.
Coins preferably not bars by the way.

The story above written retold by ginandtoxic, while a bit unreadable, it does hint at what could happen, and quickly too.

If anyone had said to me, "this time next year the third biggest party in Germany will be a very strong right wing party, and the German justice minister will be shouted off stage and escorted by this armed body guards into his armoured Mercedes Benz"
well.., I would have done a double take.

Interesting times...as the Chinese would say.

PS: I am long phys gold, and staying liquid. I believe a crash is on the way. So instead of buying regularly, I am accumulating cash for a 80% sale in equities someday soon....
Any thoughts as to when it might happen? Q1-4 with a year, e.g. 2016, 2017, 2018? would be interested to have a specific answer and not verbiage.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Burner for this useful post:
  #1097  
Old 11.05.2016, 13:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Goldman Sachs has joined JPMorgan and UBS and raised its gold price calls; price estimates from $1260, $1350 and $1400.
Of course the market usually moves in the opposite direction!
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old 11.05.2016, 14:06
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 14,429
Groaned at 281 Times in 187 Posts
Thanked 18,154 Times in 7,618 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Quote:
View Post
I thought gold would get closer to USD1K before moving upwards, if memory serves it got to 1060.

Maybe this is just another false start.

Having said that, DoucheBag has admitted to gold and silver rigging and have agreed to snitch on the others. Maybe people are starting to wake up, and realise that paper gold is a rip off, and having physical possession of the actual metal is the only thing that counts.
Coins preferably not bars by the way.

The story above written retold by ginandtoxic, while a bit unreadable, it does hint at what could happen, and quickly too.

If anyone had said to me, "this time next year the third biggest party in Germany will be a very strong right wing party, and the German justice minister will be shouted off stage and escorted by this armed body guards into his armoured Mercedes Benz"
well.., I would have done a double take.

Interesting times...as the Chinese would say.

PS: I am long phys gold, and staying liquid. I believe a crash is on the way. So instead of buying regularly, I am accumulating cash for a 80% sale in equities someday soon....
Any thoughts as to when it might happen? Q1-4 with a year, e.g. 2016, 2017, 2018? would be interested to have a specific answer and not verbiage.
Well Icahn has just gone ~150% short.

I think it is difficult to time such a crash. The last opportunity was the 2008 crash.

Maybe an alternative is to start investing now into demand insensitive, unleveraged, strong cash-flow companies.
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old 11.05.2016, 14:13
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,896
Groaned at 445 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 22,038 Times in 11,454 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Quote:
View Post

Maybe an alternative is to start investing now into demand insensitive, unleveraged, strong cash-flow companies.
That sounds remarkably like Fundsmith does
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old 11.05.2016, 14:38
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,554
Groaned at 470 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 19,349 Times in 10,216 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gold Buying

Quote:
View Post
Well Icahn has just gone ~150% short.

I think it is difficult to time such a crash. The last opportunity was the 2008 crash.

Maybe an alternative is to start investing now into demand insensitive, unleveraged, strong cash-flow companies.
Not "just gone" that was the March 2016 report

He has certainly scared a lot of pigeons; a $4 Billion bet!

Interesting times!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gold, swiss franc




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GOLD - Int'l recognition of swiss gold coins? Uncle GroOve Finance/banking/taxation 19 19.08.2011 18:04
Buying gold in Zurich Tiger Other/general 27 07.11.2010 14:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0